BATTLEZONE COMMUNITY FORUMS

Battlezone I & II Download, Gaming & Development
It is currently October 21st, 2017, 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: GSH's Rants
PostPosted: August 3rd, 2014, 6:02 pm 

Quote:
That all you got? Private testers are up to near 800 bugzilla entries, and ~2200+ mantis entries before that. Got a long way to go before you reach 1% of their output.

Mods are free to restore lights. But, proper lighting would require shaders and a big rewrite.

Audio was fully 3d with doppler, etc on 1.3 until Microsoft knifed DirectSound3D in the back with Vista. On an XP box with DirectSound3D devices, it probably sounds the best. I wouldn't be surprised if the Linux+WINE community has better support than Windows now.

Considering how little actual "help" the perpetrator of this video has been, he can go pound sand. Ken and I have done a lot of work improving things. Recording a video of bugs, well, anyone with a pulse can do that. He and his "friends" can go play older BZ2 patches any day they want. Just that cheats are so prevalent in 1.2 that you better trust the other players to not cheat. I wouldn't trust the reporter any farther than I could spit. I recommend everyone else do the same.

-- GSH

Quote:
BZ2 work is done on my spare time, on my dime. I work on things that I want to. Being a pest does not help get your pet bugs fixed, because you are not my boss. The BZ2 community should live like every patch might be that last released, because just about no other commercial games have had such patch work. A certain segment of the BZ2 community has chosen to attack and belittle other players, game mode(s), and patches. That's not how things get done around here. That toxic segment of the community has never really learned how to work with me. And yet they keep repeating the same mistakes over and over again -- being an arrogant jerk may work in PvP games. BZ2 patch work is not that. You have to appeal to me. Choose a better way of communicating -- this is not a war you have to try and win by hyping your side. In fact, if you turn this into a battle, that's a sad statement on you.

Most (all?) of those graphical bugs have been present since 1.3ta5 released in April 2009. Those bugs are not that critical, as shown by their being present for 5+ years to the community. Get ready to live with them a lot longer, because I'm under no plans to release a patch specifically for your pet bugs. Perhaps a future patch might fix them, perhaps not. As I said earlier, if you like another patch better, such as the 1280x1024 max resolution of 1.2, go play it. Just don't be a jerk about it.

Scorpion - watch your language and attitude here, or earn a temporary ban. Being a loudmouthed jerk is not how you should behave here. You're already very close to being permabanned for sockpuppetry, as I do not believe your IP registration is legit.

Thread locked.

-- GSH

He REALLY doesn't like us. :smt048

Post subject: Re: GSH's Rants
PostPosted: August 3rd, 2014, 7:49 pm 

Can I Say This For The 2000th Time Since 1.3 Was Even A Minor "Thought" In Any 1.2 Vets Head?

"I Hope GSH Dies Of Cancer And Fucks Himself In The Ass All Along The Way."

~Xohm

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2014, 9:52 pm 

get it out of your system boys, besides the new netcode we've been blessed by our god gsh:

no blink bug
tracked units no longer go inside eachother
turrets hold

even though its something so basic that we've forgot about since these are things that should never have existed, the fixes to these bugs has improved gameplay alot

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2014, 10:41 pm 

That doesn't give him the right to completely disregard Cloaket's very accurate and circumstantial video in such a hostile manner. Just because he doesn't like him and his "friends".

PostPosted: August 4th, 2014, 1:35 am 

Like Hitler GSH rules mit un iron fist! He is arrogant, but very useful in terms of keeping BZII hopping along. I highly suggest we bite em on the the ass instead of kiss it. Oh what a feelin! =))

PostPosted: August 4th, 2014, 5:10 am 
Admin

Some of the bugs take extra effort on our part.

Figuring out what caused the blink bug to appear in what situations was tricky. I demonstrated the bug to other testers, but none were able to exploit it on their machine. We figured out eventually that it was specifically triggered by holding down the 'special' hotkey (middle-click) to aim blink. Once we reported this, it was fixed in a sub-build.

Turret hold was tricky too because turrets couldnt reliably be made to derp. The trick was obscuring an enemy (that the turret might want to shoot at) by terrain and THEN tell the turret to hold while its moving. Juggz and I figured this out when we did an hour-long testing session to SPECIFICALLY tackle this bug. If the turret was told to hold and it had a clear line-of-sight to its target then it would hold as it was ordered to and start shooting; BUT if there was an enemy in its engageRange but it did not have a clear LOS on the target it wanted to attack then it would keep moving in its original direction and only deploy once it had a clear shot.

Blackdragon and I figured out how to make invisible weapons happen 100% of the time (rather than sporadically) and on pretty much every weapon, but we only did so a day or two prior to the 1.3.6.5 release so we didn't get a fix in time for the patch (and fix attempts might have significantly delayed the 1.3.6.5 release)

In the first two situations we were able to get an easy 100% reproducable bug, so they were fixed. But all these situations required people to actually launch a non-competitive game and actually test things and try out different scenarios to find a way to trigger the bug 100% of the time -- and then report that bug to GSH (as opposed to, say, simply complaining about it amongst themselves).

Quote:
That doesn't give him the right to completely disregard Cloaket's very accurate and circumstantial video in such a hostile manner. Just because he doesn't like him and his "friends".

There's a bit of a gap between what GSH says and what he does. I think he can and will use the video as a comparison if he ever does any more work on the graphics system. It's useful and it makes sense. What he will not do however, is say 'yes lord, whatever you say lord' given the abuse he's recieved in the past from competitive players (especially about the flying thing). Heaping more abuse and demands upon him will cause him to shut your suggestion down and not consider it for the immediate future.

As it is, lighting and fog isnt critical to the game and having fun with it. It's still nice to have though and I hope it get fixed eventually.

Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean.
Earn your keep.

PostPosted: August 4th, 2014, 5:54 am 

because of the way some people (myself included) have acted and are continuing to do so, gsh doesn't really consider our word valuable.

when commando played a few games with us i expressed to him that i would have an interest in testing the public betas and asked him to inform gsh of this. i don't know if he ever got around to it but if he did it was an automatic no go because of how i have acted (bashing gsh any chance i got) and how others have acted (bashing gsh and giving strat players a bad name, leading to him judging all of us as stratholes and bronze leaguers)

let it be known to all i am willing to assist in testing, i am actually quite active in this game and want to fix issues - demonstrated by my vsr balance rages etc i am especially concerned with issues that lowers the quality of our games.

today, on multiple occasions damage bug occured. i would be very interested in finding a way to fix this. today i shot an empty with a laser shot and did 50% damage, i have killed a red sabre with 1 laser shot, i have seen 2 full hp empties die to 1 prox mine, and have personally been killed by a sniper round at ~15hp. fixing something so seemingly random and game breaking should be a big priority for the strat boys because mpi players wont give two shits, i doubt most of them have an understanding of each weapons damage values and probably wouldnt notice it took them 18 mdms instead of 20 to kill a mega statue for example.

PostPosted: August 4th, 2014, 6:14 am 

ZA's post is a very good explanation of the situation, and there is only one thing I can add. It's something most of the community knows already - and indeed has always known - but that it is fond of forgetting (some, like Xohm and Scorp, forget it more willingly and more frequently than others).

To put it as bluntly as possible; GSH doesn't make 1.3 for you or for any of us, and to suggest otherwise is extremely arrogant.

PostPosted: August 4th, 2014, 8:14 am 

That is something I was actually thinking about last night Hads, luckily it was brought up here. It IS quite obvious that he doesn't make patches for any of us, and he seemingly has NO love for this game, as he never plays it. Let's face reality, all of his closest modders friends (aside from a few like ZA) have next to NO experience playing this game, so he (GSH) obviously has no interest in input from actual players or improving experience for actual players. My question is: why does he do it? Is it something that he can put on a resume in case he needs work in the future? It is very perplexing, and I would LOVE an actual, HONEST answer, not just random excuses or strawman arguments (like those Red Spot & Nielk1 would give when told they DON'T play bz2, which is a fact). I mean, the reason vets RAGE so much is because the majority of us have been playing this game for 10+ years, and we all have a certain conservative mindset glued down. That is why we aren't afraid to voice STRONG opinions to ANYONE (as you may or may not have seen in our last few posts tearing apart ZA for his continued support of autism in VSR). I would think someone who loves this game would either A. listen to the bitchy vets because they DO know what is best. B. quit making patches because obviously everyone severely under appreciates his efforts (all active players anyway). So, they must be some different motive behind his continued patch work.

PostPosted: August 4th, 2014, 10:14 am 

Is there a way I can relieve GSH from his programming of patches since he doesn't get paid a single dime for it?

If so, I'll give out my FTP address where the source code can be uploaded to so that I can continue the work.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: August 4th, 2014, 11:28 am 

I think that GSH, by law, cannot give you the source code, not that he WOULD even if he could...lol.

PostPosted: August 4th, 2014, 11:37 am 

I don't see the point to GSH locking that thread and acting like it's an attack on 1.3.

Lots of what he believes about me are blatant lies. Some of which I suspect he made up himself.

Really, he has modders like twosheds in private beta who makes a thread about potential hacking every time someone owns him in some way. How can a child like that EVER be on ANY private beta is beyond all human reason.
He's got autistic nerds like BBB that think the patch revolves around his needs. (Much similar to the way he thinks strat players are acting (and many are), yet BBB was still a private tester...)

He gives admin to those who used it to grab IP addresses of various players and DoS them. Does this not make GSH a criminal accomplice?

Then there's someone like me who has a very good understanding of how this game works who is shunned.
It's clear that most "1.2 strat vets" really have no idea how programming works, so like a RACIST, GSH judges anyone who plays strat in the same light.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next