BATTLEZONE COMMUNITY FORUMS

Battlezone I & II Download, Gaming & Development
It is currently December 14th, 2017, 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: September 1st, 2015, 3:57 am 

I've debated on whether or not to upgrade to the latest BZII beta, but haven't because there's no apparent way to edit this graphic format or is there?

I can import DXT files into Caligari Truespace, but the BZII version in not visible in the file dialogue box when I try to use existing files?

Can any paint programs load this format or does the original texture need to be converted every time I edit them? Thx, Edgrr... :ymparty:

Last edited by Edgrr on September 1st, 2015, 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm brain dead help me!

PostPosted: September 1st, 2015, 4:59 am 

DXT - Direct X Texture - is a munged format. Think of it like MSH for textures; usually the game converts and processes these textures every time they're loaded, but DXTGen removes this step by doing it separately (and it automatically generates the mipmaps). The result is greater hardware efficiency, faster loading and smoother play. Edit the source texture (XSI for MSH; usually TGA, PIC or BMP for DXTBZ2) and convert it to the munged format for the game. The converter takes thirty seconds to use - which since you don't do textures most likely won't be a problem.

No, you can't edit the DXT. You can't mung/munge a file and maintain the ability to edit it.

There was a transition period around pb3 that allowed users to get used to using DXTs before the format became compulsory, but you missed that by a good few years.

PostPosted: September 1st, 2015, 9:17 am 

The DXT is simply a "baked" format of the textures. "DXT" is a common mip mapping algorithm, the "bz2" added to the end is simply a formality to make them specific to the bz2 engine.

They are generated using the DXT Gen v32 found here: http://matesfamily.org/bz2/index.html

The source images for all the DXT images in 1.3 can be found in the Data.pak and the new ones in 1.3 can be found in the Modder_Data zip in the above link.

You extract the program to a folder, say, in my documents or somewhere. You make a folder or specify a folder where you put all the files to be converted. Then you make or specify a folder for where the program creates the DXT files. When you run the DXTGen.exe you can point to these input and output folders. You can also specify a special "rules" file, the stock one is included next to the program exe. You can create copies of it with different settings as you want. There are many options you can use to do stuff.

You simply run the program and hit "Go" and it converts any textures in the input directory into DXT files. It logs what it's doing, and any errors it encounters.

PostPosted: September 5th, 2015, 4:42 am 

If I can only find my BZII CD to update to the latest patch. I forget which version I last updated to but it is one with DXTB2 textures required. Didn't someone make a all in one that skips the CD requirement? Thx, Edgrr... ^#(^

PostPosted: September 5th, 2015, 4:56 pm 

You don't need the CD, you can just Copy the Battlezone II folder you currently have, paste it, and install the latest patch to it.

PostPosted: September 6th, 2015, 1:33 am 

General BlackDragon wrote:
You don't need the CD, you can just Copy the Battlezone II folder you currently have, paste it, and install the latest patch to it.

Cool, thx I'll give that a whirl. I'm not even sure I still have the original CD anymore, but I still do have 3 separate BZII installs over several PC's.

PostPosted: September 6th, 2015, 4:22 am 

If you do need one for whatever reason you can grab an original pretty cheap on amazon or ebay. Failing that there are a few places you can get ISOs, but I'm not certain of their reliability.