BATTLEZONE COMMUNITY FORUMS

Battlezone I & II Download, Gaming & Development
It is currently December 13th, 2017, 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: May 11th, 2015, 1:54 am 

I've been using Caligari's old Truespace 7.61 Beta Modelside for many years to create models and props for Combat Commander. It doesn't import or export XSI directly, but it can import and export X based models with several X exporters that can be used to get models ready for BZII.

The first X exporter is the default X exporter that comes with TS6 model side. Model parts need to be changed from the default no-name-whatever to the part with 2 blank spaces at the end of the part name, i.e. a part name like hp_gun_1 would need to be renamed prior to exporting the model to like hp_gun_1__ or just 2 blank spaces to make the parts read by the game engine so they'll work properly.

The second X exporter is a third party TSX based variant called Truex that can be installed in TS The web link is http://gamespacelite.freeforums.org/tsx ... -t165.html The main advantage of this exporter is that BZII naming requirements are preserved when exporting the X model to 3d Exploration for conversion to XSI.

A free application called 3d Exploration can be used to convert X based models to XSI for BZII. It can also convert XSI models to other model formats like X and 3ds.

The whole process is pretty simple and efficient as models can be created in TS, stored, edited, and exported as needed to make changes to models based on the model maker's preferences. The models are saved as Caligari (SCN) scene files in a simple library based format.

With the exception of Scion based morph animations TS exports animated models pretty well. TS, is also one of easier modeling software's to use and eventually master due to it's simple user interface. Both X exporters are compatible with 3d Exploration and it can convert XSI models to X for editing in TS or other compatible modeling software like Studio Max and Blender.

Last edited by Edgrr on January 7th, 2016, 10:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
Brain freeze?

PostPosted: June 6th, 2015, 4:43 pm 

gr8 m8

PostPosted: June 6th, 2015, 5:18 pm 

What the hell happened with the subdivisions on that Sabre? They're all over the place, poly count must be through the roof.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2015, 11:37 pm 

I thought that's how it was in VSR? Everytime it builds from factory, that's what I see. Or, at least I thought I did. :|

PostPosted: June 7th, 2015, 1:57 am 

AHadley's drunk :P

PostPosted: June 7th, 2015, 2:04 am 

AHadley wrote:
What the hell happened with the subdivisions on that Sabre? They're all over the place, poly count must be through the roof.

As far as I know there's no subdivision just triangulation when I converted the XSI to X. The texture was applied from the PIC to TGA as TS does not support it. The model itself was separated into single parts rather then linked as the original model was constructed; using a tool in Truespace.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2015, 9:56 am 

For once Edger is right, that is where all the vertices are on the Stock ISDF Sabre.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2015, 12:28 pm 

Bloody hell, it's got the efficiency of a TRO model.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2015, 2:08 pm 

Actually no, it's got no wasted verts. Every vert is a change in shape.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2015, 3:44 pm 

Really? In that case it's just poorly designed, which is even more disappointing. Could have been so much more efficient for what it is.

PostPosted: June 8th, 2015, 1:20 am 

General BlackDragon wrote:
For once Edger is right, that is where all the vertices are on the Stock ISDF Sabre.

For once? I'm always right it's the rest of you yoyo's that get it right every once in a while. =))

PostPosted: June 8th, 2015, 1:42 am 

AHadley wrote:
Bloody hell, it's got the efficiency of a TRO model.

It's a stock model Hadley? So, you're trashing the original Sabre model makers work? Sa matter Hadley? Did someone piss in your canteen again? For someone with so little modeling experience you seem like such a competent commenter...or not.

So, like are you ever going to learn how to use any modeling software? The only reason you suck at model making is that you refuse to even try anything new like a simple no frills product like Truespace or Max or whatever peeps are using these days for BZII. Sorry dude, but when I read some of your comments it's almost like you're sporting a big bold "Kickme" sign and of course we all oblige you with lots of vim and vigor....

Sorry dude but when I reread my post again it made me bust out in uncontrollable laughter...thanks Hadley you made my day.... =))