BATTLEZONE COMMUNITY FORUMS

Battlezone I & II Download, Gaming & Development
It is currently December 12th, 2017, 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: BZ2 Unit Models/Textures
PostPosted: January 10th, 2013, 6:41 pm 

I've been having a bit of trouble finding these since I haven't been active in the Battlezone universe recently enough to know where to look, but I'm trying to find a download for the original BZ2 unit models and textures. Specifically the Sabre. I wanted to try 3D printing one if possible, but after searching through all my files all I could find was a model I edited years ago and no texture. If not, could someone remind me how to find the original model/texture in the game's directory? Thank you!

PostPosted: January 10th, 2013, 7:04 pm 
Admin

The original XSI files are in: http://www.bzscrap.org/downloads/Utilit ... si%27s.zip
The texture files are in data.pak, you need a utility called PAK Explorer to extract them out of there. Those will be in TGA (Truevision Targa) or PIC (Softimage PIC) format. Lots of image editors support TGA but not many support PIC, although XnView does.

Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean.
Earn your keep.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2013, 7:11 pm 

Than you for the swift response!
If I'm able to get everything uploaded to shapeways well enough, I'll try printing out the Sabre model with texture and take some pictures of the results to share.

PostPosted: January 11th, 2013, 1:31 pm 

Alright, so I have everything imported and working in 3ds max and scaled down appropriately: http://i49.tinypic.com/paivm.png
All I need to do now is get it exported in a way that works with shapeways which is being a little tricky. I followed their instructions as closely as possible and after the first attempted upload I got an email saying there was an issue with the upload, but no information on what exactly was wrong with it...

PostPosted: January 12th, 2013, 5:28 am 

Wow! Shapeway looks pretty cool. Does the company print to customer spefications and are they all that expensive?

PostPosted: June 24th, 2014, 6:11 pm 

Here is maybe the reason because they could not implement ur model:
Copyright at first, and secondary the type of 3d model for the videogames does not match with the type of modeling needed to make a 3d print.
That's not only because the format of the file but also because the 2 types of modeling are built totally differently.
Why don't you make small similar models by yourself? I was trying to do so by myself but i need a good 3d artist.
:D

PostPosted: June 25th, 2014, 9:11 am 
Admin

theduke89 wrote:
Here is maybe the reason because they could not implement ur model:
Copyright at first, and secondary the type of 3d model for the videogames does not match with the type of modeling needed to make a 3d print.
That's not only because the format of the file but also because the 2 types of modeling are built totally differently.
Why don't you make small similar models by yourself? I was trying to do so by myself but i need a good 3d artist.
:D

That's what model conversion is for. It's already possible to import BZ2 XSI files into Blender and MAX. It would be a trivial matter to convert them from one of these two popular 3D formats into one that can be supported by a 3D printer or printing service.

Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean.
Earn your keep.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2014, 12:02 pm 

Ok!
As i told before the other problem is copyright!
I spoke directly to them and they said that by uploading these models they'll break copyright rescrictions so they'll never do that :D
Just mod them a little bit, for example by reducing or adding polygons... something like that and they'll probably have no more problems!
About the format, it can be simply converted but for what was told me the polygons are created in a totally different way.
That is what he told me:
"On your Battlezone 2 request I have to disappoint you on 2 points.
Unfortunately you are not allowed to copy their models without their permission (copyright).
In addition to this it will not be possible to import models from the game and have these 3d printed.
There is the distinct difference in creating a 3D model for a game (lower polygons, not watertight meshes etc) and a 3D printer (Higher polygons, watertight mesh etc)."

As he tolds it's a problem of meshes and polygons.
I Hope this could be useful.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2014, 10:50 am 

Quote:
In addition to this it will not be possible to import models from the game and have these 3d printed.

Blender supports stl format exporting right out of the box.