BATTLEZONE COMMUNITY FORUMS

Battlezone I & II Download, Gaming & Development
It is currently December 12th, 2017, 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: September 10th, 2012, 10:01 am 

I exported a simple test sphere from 7.5 as a Direct-X model and converted it to XSI version 1 using 3D Exploration W/O any major problems; 3DEX complains about the 303 version of X that 7.5 uses, but seems to convert them anyways. Still need to figure out more about the Mod Tool, but I'll post more information as I get a handle on using the X exporter. Unfortunatley, the XSI exporter it supports is too new a version to use with 3DEX or most BZII era modeling tools. 7.5 seems to run okay under Windows 7. I'm hoping that the Mod tool is easier to use then GMAX though I won't really know until I've played around with it long enough to access this part.

Model orientation for exporting out of ASMT 7.5 is pointing downward when viewed from the Top Viewport. Keeping this is mind will prepare the model for proper conversion from X to XSI using 3D Exploration as a conversion program.

By default, ASMT 7.5 places primitive objects pointing them vertically, so some primitves may need to be rotated horizontally or vertically and their rotation manually frozen to reset the XYZ values back to 0 0 0. Stay tuned as I expand this topic more as time allows.

One advantage to using the Mod Tool is that it supports the Softimage PIC format, so the original BZII textures can be used on new models and props. However, I do notice that the Mod Tool tends to crash quite a lot under Windows XP, but seems to work fine under the 64 bit Windows 7 OS. The user interface is fairly simple, but a lot of reading of the help file is required to understand some of the modeling tools and how to use them. I figured out how to link model parts for BZII; one of the layouts shows all the model parts in a list and you can just drag and drop parts to under other parts pretty easily. Still need to read up on applying materials and 2d textures, and how to use the key frame editor to animate the models themselves.

Last edited by Edgrr on September 15th, 2012, 4:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
Post title revised and post updated.

PostPosted: September 10th, 2012, 2:27 pm 

yes i am and current working on a whole race of spheres the smallest is the scout and biggest is super bomber stealth chooper gunner.

Last edited by Edgrr on September 12th, 2012, 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post title revised.

PostPosted: September 11th, 2012, 3:53 am 

Interesting bro. I created a sphere based air unit quite a while back in another modeling software called Truespace. The ships exterior was completely transparent, so you could see the other ships internal parts. I even created a pilot figure sitting in a seat object. It also had a control panel where the ships weapons protruded from the panel. As I recall it was equipped with guns or cannons.

Anyways back on topic, the Mod Tool looks fairly easy to use to create models and props for BZII using it's Direct-X exporter. I seem to have quite a lot of luck using this format in conjunction with 3D Exploration to convert my models to XSI for use with BZII. I'm just getting started, but the software looks easier to use then GMAX itself. I plan to explore the Mod Tool more extensively to see how useful it might be for BZII use. Edgar.

Apparently, the Mod Tool will export the models animation along with the models geometry although I'm still in the process of learning to link model parts in a standard BZII compatible hierarchal tree. I did a simple animation and the animation exported with the model itself, but I still don't understand it all just yet.

Last edited by Edgrr on September 12th, 2012, 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post revised

PostPosted: September 16th, 2012, 6:32 pm 

You can also import BZII models from the XSI model pack by first converting them to another model format like 3DS, X, or OBJ. The XSI Mod Tool supports the BZII Softimage PIC texture format, so you should also be able to import the texture file the original model used. Animation is not supported with OBJ format, but you can still edit and modify the models parts, reanimate, texture and export the model again in either the OBJ or X format for conversion back to XSI using 3D Exploration. The obj format does not support animation, but X format should export the models animation and hiearchal tree structure. I'm still learning what the Mod Tool is cabable of doing, but as I understand it envelope type animation is support for doing Scion type morph animation although it may not be possible to use as the XSI version 3 format is far to new to be used by 3DEX conversion utility. I'll attempt to locate another model converter on the web that can work with newer XSI formats. PS: I'm using both XSI Mod Tool version 6 and 7.5. Version 6 seems better suited to Windows XP and 7.5 better for use with Windows 7 64 bit.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2012, 10:19 am 

Apparently, the Mod Tool can also export LWO models only it calls them Oven Point and 3D Exploration can read the LWO files as well. Studio Max users also may find the tool useful as apparently it can import 3DS models and as with all Softimage modeling software envelope type animation is supported to some extent.

FYI: Autodesk is tauting the tool as a demo version of Softimage's full version, so anyone interested in learning Softimage can use the tool to learn the basics of how the full version functions. I guess much in the same way that GMAX is used for learning the basic's of Studio Max. More to come as time allows....

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2012, 10:11 pm 

Considering the structure it should be possible to convert the new form ASCII XSIs into the old form quit easily. It is mostly node names.

PostPosted: September 24th, 2012, 1:21 am 

Nielk1 wrote:
Considering the structure it should be possible to convert the new form ASCII XSIs into the old form quit easily. It is mostly node names.

That would be awesome bro. I also am discovering that plugins for the full version of XSI will install in the 7.5 Mod Tool. I actually found and installed one that exports to the Ogre game engine if any one needs it I uploaded a zip folder on my modeling forum with instructions on how to get it installed. I really am quite pleased that the Mod Tool is also capable of exporting a useable X file for conversion to XSI with 3DEX. The modeling tools are fairly easy to use and the help file is detailed enough to learn the basics of using the Mod Tool. Texturing has me stumped, but I've been playing around with the software a bit to see if I can figure it out enough to post some simple modeling tutorials. If I can, I may eventually buy a licence for the full version at some point down the road. XSI 3D also supports using several scripting languages like VB, JS, and python. Who knows? Maybe I'll be able to create somekind of version 1 XSI import or export script....

FYI: The XSI Ogre exporter with the Avid Softimage XSI Mod Tool version 6 and Autodesk version 7.5 although the folders are configured a bit differently when installing it for 7.5. There are 2 versions of the exporter one is for 32 bit installations and one for 64 bit systems. The ogremain.dll goes in the Bin folder and the ogresxiexporter.dll goes in the plugins folder.

Last edited by Edgrr on September 24th, 2012, 6:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Revised post again.

PostPosted: October 10th, 2015, 5:11 am 

Sadly, the XSI Mod Tool has proven that my testing revealed that the X exporter is not well suited for BZII as it adds Map_Root to every model part making it useless for converting X models to XSI using 3d Exploration as the game engine can't read the part names properly. The LWO model exporter doesn't export animation either.