BATTLEZONE COMMUNITY FORUMS

Battlezone I & II Download, Gaming & Development
It is currently August 16th, 2017, 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2017, 7:02 am 

Aside from makin 3d models for BZII I have come to loath creating UV based model skins for the game. Working with UV maps is a royal pain in the arse! However, I have managed to sorta figured out how to planar map a model using Paint.net to create multiple layers for texture based skins. The process is basically fairly simple using the model side of Caligari Truespace 7.6x as a decent 3d modeling tool in conjunction with it's UV mapping tools linked directly with Paint.net to paint the models skin using a planar based UV map exported to Paint (TS is configured to open the map directly in Paint.) The UV map is used only as a reference image and the skin is actually painted on a transparent layer added on to which the paint tools are used to custom paint objects on to this layer. I also add an additional layer to import a basic camo texture as well. Once I paint the model skin I hide the UV map and save the skin to TS's texture library. Then I use the TS material editor to load the model skin and paint it over the model itself.

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2017, 4:36 pm 

Have you ever experimented with Rhino 3D? i was learning it then got sidetracked with something else.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2017, 1:18 am 

Sentient wrote:
Have you ever experimented with Rhino 3D? i was learning it then got sidetracked with something else.

Thx, bro I'll check it out hopefully the UV mapping tools are easier to deal with then TS. A decent paint program is pretty handy for paint custom skins for units but requires a bunch of time getting models painted. I just wish that I can figure a way to use some of the stock BZII textures. Texture maps are a real pain to work with from my little experience at texturing.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2017, 3:00 am 

Okay, I got the eval version of Rhino 3d version 5. Do you know how to activate or use the UV mapping options? Thx, Edgrr.

PS: TS use a simple icon to activate the mapping options along with it's version of a UV map editor. TS auto applies a default UV mapping depending on the model itself. Does Rhino models have to be pre mapped to access the map editor that it uses?

PostPosted: June 24th, 2017, 9:11 am 

Sorry I posted my previous post into the wrong thread. I was just curious to see if you've ever used it. I dont know much about it, but I have a copy of it and saw what my friend could model with it. I also investigated V-Ray plugin for Rhino on their website and YouTube and was amazed at the quality of their renderings

But if you want some tutorials, I have them in video format:

1. System Setup
10. Editing and Transforming
11. Analysis and Degress
12. Modeling and Editing Organic Surfaces
13. Documentation and Collaboration
14. Rendering Skills
15. Prototyping
2. Basic 3D Terminology
3. Navigating and the Help System
4. Introduction to the Interface
5. Workflow Basics
6. Drawing_ 2D Geometry
7. Modeling_ Basic Surfaces
8. Modeling_ 3D Solids (AKA Polysurfaces)
9. Modeling Aids
Ex_Files_Rhino5_EssT.zip