BATTLEZONE COMMUNITY FORUMS

Battlezone I & II Download, Gaming & Development
It is currently January 20th, 2018, 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: December 4th, 2011, 3:25 pm 
Admin

Submit your Battlezone II video to be added to our main page! The video must be related to Battlezone to be included. This video will remain active on the main page http://bz2maps.us for at least one month., until another submission gets to replace the main video. Recordings of live strat games will take preference with high resolution settings and submitted to YouTube, then embedded into Video du Jour. To record live games, here is an instructional video on how to do so. It references divx for compression which is fine, but I suggest xvid as it is free open source. Windows Live Movie Maker may be the easiest way to make videos and compress, but the quality is not as good. Using virtualdub in conjunction with the xvid codec for compression is yielding the best results for me.

http://fraps.com/ (not free, unfortunately limits to recording resolution to the max your monitor can support, uncompressed recording)
5 FREE ALTERNATIVES TO FRAPS (all free)
http://www.xvid.org/Downloads.15.0.html (free open source xvid mpeg-4 codec - handles the compression)
http://virtualdub.org/ (free open source video editor that will use the xvid codec)

To embed a youtube video into these forums, click the YouTube button on top of your post window (under bold) to make this tag: [YouTube][/YouTube] (or type it in). Then place the youtube video ID(only) between the youtube tag (video ID is last section of youtube http link, following the 'v='. e.g. Purplehaze's recent submission: "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWAVG8OB0G0" .. to embed in our forums, just copy the video ID from the link (highlighted in red) between the YouTube tag like so:
Code:
[YouTube]wWAVG8OB0G0[/YouTube]

Purplehaze's submission to be added to main page (Personally I like it - resolution could be higher, widescreen pref 8-[ Choice of background music is souperrbalicious! :-({|=

PostPosted: December 4th, 2011, 4:25 pm 

What would be good is a high-resolution, good-quality video of a vet strat game with minimal lag or other issues, recorded by a spectating user, with some of the better tracks from the OST.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2011, 5:30 pm 
Admin

i agree. Vet Strat in Hi Res would be ideal. By an actual player would be more interesting than spec, especially by a commander. What better way is there to promote strat?? This would be a good start. :)

PostPosted: December 4th, 2011, 9:58 pm 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the best way to get the highest resolution is to record via HDMI output, offloading the weight from the cpu processor. Fraps software recording diminishes the quality and smoothness of the recording in my experience. Would Fraps take advantage of multiple cores?

PostPosted: December 7th, 2011, 3:16 pm 

I nominate ahadley.avi

PostPosted: December 13th, 2011, 6:16 pm 
Admin

My 1st submission. Not totally impressive, but a work in progress (5 v 5 strat recorded a couple days ago - Part 1 of 2).

Part 2 of 2

PostPosted: December 16th, 2011, 4:25 pm 

A while ago I managed to record a lag-less 1600 x 900 using XFire of all things on my laptop. If you can get XFire to see BZ2, you can get some really nice really high resolution stuff, whatever your screen size is. Then the biggest issue is have the HDD space since it is basically uncompressed and compressing it at all seems to kill the quality.

With a new PC you could probably get 1080 height.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2011, 4:37 pm 
Admin

Yes I recently discovered xfire records as well.

I also discovered a way to edit and compress without losing any image quality (up to 1080P)

http://www.xvid.org/Downloads.15.0.html (free opensource - install this codec 1st)
http://virtualdub.org/ (free) (to splice video segments together and apply xvid compression, add/remove sound etc etc)

The xvid mpeg4 codec will be available in virtualdub after you install.

*Edit: approx 50/1 compression ratio, depending on settings.

I have my uncompressed videos record automatically to an external USB3 1TB drive. Then use VirtualDub with xvid compression to finalize the movies. Purty slick and easy, just takes up alot of processing time and HDD space. :)

PostPosted: December 17th, 2011, 3:22 am 
Admin

A full length 26min 5v5 Team Strat:

3 v 3 Strat - Zero_Angel (C), Bitchzone & N.Fuser -VERSUS- LuMiNeSs (C), GK, & Feared_1
Team Speak 3 Server: ts3.chicagoshardcoregamers.com 12/18/2011 (7am Fuser's time) :lol:

PostPosted: December 20th, 2011, 11:28 am 

Quick trial with recording via fraps and using movie maker to compress it.
Any suggestions which of the 5 alternatives works best for making a video of at least a couple of minutes?

I dont really feel much for trying all out to see what works, and really have no interest in buying fraps :)

PostPosted: December 20th, 2011, 1:01 pm 

Fraps is well out of date I think, never was much good and crippled bz2 while it was running. The xfire thing looks allot better and its free, I have not tried it yet.

PostPosted: December 20th, 2011, 4:15 pm 
Admin

Fraps actually runs quite well, has been around the longest and easiest to use. I use RGB lossless, recording at full size (can also do half size vid for smaller files sizes). The videos are uncompressed so at fullscreen recording at max settings, a 30 minute video can easily be 100GB. You can record at 60FPS. Fraps would do better if I recorded on larger than a 19" widescreen, if I recorded on my 50" at 1080P I would get better results. Some have use free Windows Live Movie Maker to re-edit and save in a higher format (1080P). xvid does this (1080P), but some quality is lost, original recording at highest resolution is KEY. I set Fraps to record to an external USB3 Terabyte drive.

After making the original uncompressed video with Fraps, I use:
http://www.xvid.org/Downloads.15.0.html (free opensource - install this codec 1st and is used to COMPRESS)
http://virtualdub.org/ (free) (to splice video segments together and applies xvid compression, add/remove sound, cut up video or add others together etc etc)
Support for both on each others site is good, and needed to find the best settings for your vid (size/quality ratio you want).

Fraps takes alot of heat because it costs $37 and there are other FREE alternatives out there that have similar quality.
Xfire works, but it has to recognize the game. It doesn't for many older games, Fraps will recognize all, even record desktop actions etc.

I haven't tried these yet, post back your results:
5 FREE ALTERNATIVES TO FRAPS (all free)
other exist as well.

post back with updates :)