BATTLEZONE COMMUNITY FORUMS

Battlezone I & II Download, Gaming & Development
It is currently October 22nd, 2017, 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: February 25th, 2017, 5:37 pm 

I've released a Raknet proxy. This should help the current situation, though if the NatNeg server is down you'll need your ports open or for UPNP to open them. Sadly, NatNeg is not a simple thing and everyone needs to be talking to the same NatPunch server for it to work. The code for this proxy is simple and fully open source on an Unlicense license.

By default it does GETs to my IonDriver server first, which might timeout as I've not optimized it yet, but it lists games from all 3 servers if it can reach them.

https://github.com/Nielk1/RaknetProxy/r ... ag/1.1.0.0

Feel free to fork the code and make changes. You are under no obligation to provide your code changes or even attribute me as this is under the Unlicense, but I would appreciate pull requests or code changes be provided to me so I can update this main repository.

You must run this on your local machine you are playing BZ2 on. The program talks to the remote Raknet servers as if it was BZ2, so the IP of the machine it is running on is what will be provided to those servers. (Technically you can run it on any machine in your local network behind the same external IP, but it's easier to just say "run it on the same computer as your game.")

Last edited by Nielk1 on February 26th, 2017, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2017, 6:25 am 

Which means this is an extension to the multiplayer functionality?

PostPosted: February 26th, 2017, 9:05 am 
Admin

This is a workaround until BZ2 multiplayer is working again. It has been down for a month or so due to problems with the matchmaking host's ISP. BZ2 is cursed with online multiplayer matchmaking server difficulties which killed most of our player base starting with gamespy pulling the plug years ago.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2017, 9:22 am 

When I checked upon the multiplayer, there have been games.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2017, 9:36 am 
Admin

You are one of the lucky ones, then. Most of us can't access multiplayer nor see any games up as it is a routing issue (our main page active multiplayer gameslist is also not working because of this). So some are meeting on Teamspeak and connect via direct IP.

VSR 5v5 strat is where it is at!! Not to mention all the maps VSR comes with. ~enjoy, hope to kill you in games sometime soon. ;)

PostPosted: February 26th, 2017, 1:57 pm 

I found a bug in my handling of a DELETE command resulting in ghost games. I was presuming the values would be in the QueryString but they are in the message body. I will update the link in the OP shortly with version 1.1.0.0 which will correct this issue. You should expect to see this fix in the next few minutes.

EDIT: Update posted. This also explains half of the issues I've been seeing with my RakNet implementation at IonDriver.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2017, 12:06 am 

Is the upgrade going to be a mandatory patch? Other question, if it works in my case - if it works, that is, which I need to check yet - why to fix it? Is the current actual version going to be compatible with the one introduced here?

PostPosted: February 27th, 2017, 11:36 pm 

Version 1.1.0.0 of the proxy is just a fixed DELETE command. It's not a big program and it's not installed, you just run it and tell BZ2 that your own PC is raknet and it acts as the middle man. Right now MatesFamily seems to be more stable though so this tool might have been released a bit late to help with this issue.

PostPosted: March 18th, 2017, 1:26 pm 
Admin

Nielk1, I wanted to thank you for this. It has been working GREAT!!

I set my BZ2 shortcut to automatically run the proxy when I launch BZ2 like so (to help others who don't like clicking on two shortcuts each time):

RightClick your BZ2 shortcut, properties, and edit the Target to read similarly below (note: your BZ2 path may be different than mine):
Code:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "" /b "D:\GAMES\BattlezoneIINEW\bzone.exe" /nointro /config vsr.cfg & start "" /b /wait "D:\GAMES\BattlezoneIINEW\RaknetProxy.exe"