Sniper 200 meters 67%  67%  [ 6 ]
Sniper 150 meters 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9
 Post subject: Sniper range
PostPosted: October 4th, 2016, 10:49 am 

Should sniper range be reduced to 200 meters? Discuss

Post subject: Re: Sniper range
PostPosted: October 4th, 2016, 1:04 pm 

I think 250m is a good distance. 300m is a bit too far, while 250m is a distance where you better be a good shot because if you miss, you risk being killed.

PostPosted: October 4th, 2016, 7:25 pm 

Quote:
I think 250m is a good distance. 300m is a bit too far, while 250m is a distance where you better be a good shot because if you miss, you risk being killed.

On what planet is 250m a dangerous range to jump snipe at someone? Maybe if they are piloting a morphed warrior with assault blast lol

I am voting 200m and I will explain why. Currently, at 300m, sniper out ranges every direct weapon (not including things like mortars) in the game. if you manage to snipe someone: your ship takes no damage, you lose no ammo, the enemy pilot is killed, their sniper is lost and they spawn at rec. you can now steal their ship which in a lot of sniping cases is vastly superior to your own. at the start of the game the avg weapon range is 110m. sniper beats this by 190m, this is more than the range of combat blast.
250m is better than nothing certainly, 200m though will improve first dogfights massively. how often have you seen a team sit in mid and jump snipe at you from 300m away, hitting you for 6 damage each time, until your whole team is on 70hp or one of you becomes sniped and you get decimated in the ensuing dogfight? at 200m the risk vs reward aspect of sniper will be tilted back into balance, no longer will you be able to sit beyond the range of any weapon in the game or even EQUAL TO ASSAULT BLAST if you voted for 250m and snipe at the enemy with your instant hitting, 6dmg dealing, possibly instant killing super weapon.

now thats early game covered consider this scenario in a late game. you have out-teched the enemy all game, you are in a superior position and your teamwork and communication is much better than the enemy team. with a few decisive victories in dogfights and some well timed base hits you will certainly win. you have assault units at mid, they are pinned on 2 pools. one of your thugs drives past the enemy base at 250m and is suddenly sniped by the desperate bay sniper, and a few empties come out to secure the warrior/sabre/xares and boost the enemy team's strength in an instant. in that instance the enemy team did not outplay you, out coordinate ai, out communicate you or display more skill in tactics or strategy. they sat on the bay, aimed at the hitpoint of your ship and held down left mouse button until their long range super weapon did its job to steal away the advantage that you earned, they did this without risking ANYTHING

Sniping in these instances is unsporting and not in the spirit of the game in my opinion. i am pleased with 250m as opposed to 300m but i will absolutely not budge in my belief that 200m is the way to go which i said 2 years ago*

ps: if you voted for 250m you have now effectively changed sniper from the single longest to the equal longest range weapon in the game. a wep that you can get from the first second of the game as opposed to the weapon it's range is now tied with, assault blast which requires full isdf tech. if you think its dangerous to snipe from 250m especially at the start of the game you are seriously out of touch.

if i have convinced you to change your vote from 250m, then RE VOTE. otherwise we miss out on one of the most critical changes vsr will ever make and miss out of the ability to improve our strats greatly

*idea suggested in 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4783

PostPosted: October 4th, 2016, 7:44 pm 

I agree with you, and have thus changed my vote. My whole purpose was to rebalance the great power presented with a sniper ranged so far, but 200m is definitely a better choice to balance out the game. We lost 2 games in a row when one of our players got sniped at the first doggie and from then on we never recovered, so I completely agree with your reasoning.

PostPosted: October 4th, 2016, 11:28 pm 

i voted 300 since i dont want to take sniping away from Sly, its all he can do.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2016, 11:06 am 

Can we make sniper severely less accurate while moving? To make jump sniping and mid-air shots close to impossible?

Thoughts on removing sniper as a default and making it a drop?

Also for the love of Braddock, can we please change the sound of rifles. They all sound like Jabba the Hut's wet farts.

:ymparty:

Last edited by Skippr on October 5th, 2016, 11:24 am, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2016, 11:14 am 

It's funny, in the past games I played it was Tom - not Sly - who was getting most of the snipes. Sly was trying to engage normally and get sniped before the first doggie even occurred haha - twice! lol

PostPosted: October 5th, 2016, 11:37 am 

Also, what if pilots don't get replenished by the service bay to prevent bay sniping?

PostPosted: October 5th, 2016, 2:15 pm 

Skippr wrote:
Also, what if pilots don't get replenished by the service bay to prevent bay sniping?

I like this idea.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2016, 2:27 pm 

hmmm..

Would be really cool of juggz made a subforum for vets where only they have access to vote and post

PostPosted: October 5th, 2016, 8:53 pm 

vearie TRIGGERED

PostPosted: October 10th, 2016, 3:11 pm 

Sniper at 200m seems to still be very useful but not as overly powerful as it was. I guess if Sly and Cloaket cool with it at 200 lets do it!