BATTLEZONE COMMUNITY FORUMS

Battlezone I & II Download, Gaming & Development
It is currently December 13th, 2017, 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Disable build zone push?
Poll ended at February 25th, 2015, 12:18 pm
Yes, for ALL units. 28%  28%  [ 5 ]
Yes, for all non-turrets, non-utility units. 50%  50%  [ 9 ]
Yes, but ONLY for non-turret hover units. 22%  22%  [ 4 ]
No, leave as is. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 18
Author Message
PostPosted: February 24th, 2015, 12:18 pm 
User avatar
Moderator
Offline

Joined: February 18th, 2011, 3:06 pm
Posts: 1260
Location: Atheists are MORONS
Many people have complained about getting stuck in a building's animation.

For example, you're being chased on 10 hp and fly over a pool just as a scav is deploying. You instantly get stuck and pushed out slowly while your ship's speed is set to 0. Or a constructor is building a power generator over you, or whatever. DED.

This can be changed (to pre-1.3 style) by adding an ODF flag to each VSR unit "clearBuildZone=0".
This flag results in the building producing its normal collision while it is being constructed, without pushing out nearby units.

However this opens the oppurtinity for players to stick ass tanks inside of pools, power plants, etc...
Doubt anybody is going to do be lame enough to do that, but I do prefer physical mechanics to prevent cheating instead of verbal rules.

As the flag can be selectively enforced, it can remain active for turrets, scavengers, constructors, and any other units a player would not normally pilot. There's the risk some will stick rocket tanks in pools, etc, being the main concern.


_________________
Image


Last edited by Vearie on September 20th, 2016, 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: February 24th, 2015, 1:05 pm 
User avatar
Offline

Joined: October 18th, 2005, 12:23 pm
Posts: 651
Location: New York
This shouldn't be so big a concern we need to have it, most people can follow the rules of the game and wouldn't put units inside buildings anyway

There are only a few lames in the game who would such as Muffin Greenforces and Xohm, so i vote it still pushes rats out of buildings


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: February 24th, 2015, 4:40 pm 
User avatar
Offline

Joined: March 24th, 2010, 12:39 pm
Posts: 200
Location: Where The Weed Grows
Quote:
This shouldn't be so big a concern we need to have it, most people can follow the rules of the game and wouldn't put units inside buildings anyway

There are only a few lames in the game who would such as Muffin Greenforces and Xohm, so i vote it still pushes rats out of buildings


I Would Rush Your Rec From Moment One And Rape You By 5 Minutes, Thats Before I Put Rattlers In Extractors ;)

Do Not Allow Yourself To Blame Your Secret Ambitions On Others Who Disturb Your Psychological Slumber With Their Absolute Truth In Statements.

#UnweaveTheWeb

~Xohm

_________________
Download BZ2 Here
------------------------

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: February 24th, 2015, 5:23 pm 
User avatar
Offline

Joined: November 3rd, 2011, 8:00 pm
Posts: 969
YES very important!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: February 24th, 2015, 6:57 pm 
User avatar
Moderator
Offline

Joined: October 6th, 2006, 12:03 am
Posts: 376
Xohm's back bitches!

#Xohmification #UnweaveTheWeb #Truth #BrandonSmith

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: February 24th, 2015, 7:41 pm 
User avatar
Offline

Joined: March 22nd, 2009, 8:37 pm
Posts: 293
Perhaps make it so it pushes everything that is AI, but not human piloted ships, if that's possible.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: February 24th, 2015, 8:14 pm 
User avatar
Moderator
Offline

Joined: February 18th, 2011, 3:06 pm
Posts: 1260
Location: Atheists are MORONS
If that were possible I wouldn't have made the thread at all.

I personally voted the 2nd option.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: February 25th, 2015, 7:56 pm 
User avatar
Admin
Offline

Joined: March 15th, 2006, 7:35 am
Posts: 2159
Location: Saskatoon, Canada
Build zone push was present in 1.2. It just worked differently for non-turret units. I think it waited for the building to be complete before pushing you out of the build zone and applying the building's geometry, or it made the geometry of the building collidable to units and pushed them just outside of it while the building was under construction. It didn't do that thing where you can get hung up on the building during it's entire construction.

I wanted to bring back the 1.2 behavior and did do some experimenting with clearBuildZone=0 over a year ago and determined that I didn't really like the behavior of that either. Buildings and scavengers could deploy on anything and grant that thing immunity to weapons fire because everything that was in the build zone would be protected by the building's geometry once it was up.

_________________
Regulators.
Regulate any stealin' of this biometal pool. We're damn good too.
But you can't be any geek off the street.
Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean.
Earn your keep.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: February 25th, 2015, 10:44 pm 
User avatar
Offline

Joined: April 2nd, 2011, 6:27 am
Posts: 29
Location: Banana Land, UTC−6:00 MDT
I picked "non-turret, non-utility" but I suggest "non-hover" as well. There won't be a fleeing Rocket Tank or Mauler and have it run into a building. Hover units inside a building shouldn't be a concern either, as AI units will simply move and players won't sit there the entire game.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: February 25th, 2015, 11:28 pm 
User avatar
Moderator
Offline

Joined: February 18th, 2011, 3:06 pm
Posts: 1260
Location: Atheists are MORONS
{bac}Zero Angel wrote:
Build zone push was present in 1.2. It just worked differently for non-turret units. I think it waited for the building to be complete before pushing you out of the build zone and applying the building's geometry, or it made the geometry of the building collidable to units and pushed them just outside of it while the building was under construction. It didn't do that thing where you can get hung up on the building during it's entire construction.

I wanted to bring back the 1.2 behavior and did do some experimenting with clearBuildZone=0 over a year ago and determined that I didn't really like the behavior of that either. Buildings and scavengers could deploy on anything and grant that thing immunity to weapons fire because everything that was in the build zone would be protected by the building's geometry once it was up.

Build zone push are not present in 1.2 at all, buildings simply have their normal collision in place at build time.
Rats or any other units could easily be placed in power generators for example because of this, and fire outward because collisions are checked based on the normal of the mesh's face.

ClearBuildZone is a newer 1.3 function to prevent this kind of cheating, but the side effect isn't worth it to most players. Cheaters are just kicked out of games anyway.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: February 26th, 2015, 5:47 pm 
User avatar
Admin
Offline

Joined: March 15th, 2006, 7:35 am
Posts: 2159
Location: Saskatoon, Canada
Vearie wrote:
Build zone push are not present in 1.2 at all, buildings simply have their normal collision in place at build time.
Rats or any other units could easily be placed in power generators for example because of this, and fire outward because collisions are checked based on the normal of the mesh's face.

Ah. You're right about that. I couldve swore that it was there in 1.2 but it mustve just been the case where most people would move out of the build zone on their own.

_________________
Regulators.
Regulate any stealin' of this biometal pool. We're damn good too.
But you can't be any geek off the street.
Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean.
Earn your keep.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: February 26th, 2015, 8:19 pm 
User avatar
Offline

Joined: October 18th, 2005, 12:23 pm
Posts: 651
Location: New York
{bac}Zero Angel wrote:
Vearie wrote:
Build zone push are not present in 1.2 at all, buildings simply have their normal collision in place at build time.
Rats or any other units could easily be placed in power generators for example because of this, and fire outward because collisions are checked based on the normal of the mesh's face.

Ah. You're right about that. I couldve swore that it was there in 1.2 but it mustve just been the case where most people would move out of the build zone on their own.


Nah this wasn't a thing in 1.2, even in 1.3 early testing when i played it i never noticed this, until i came back recently

We should be able to have a set of rules all players follow and not need to put silly things like this into the game, but unfortunately there are a handful of players out there who will take advantage of anything they can lame or not......must keep this in place to a degree


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


PLEASE SUPPORT US BY MAKING A DONATION TO BZ2MAPS.US!

ALL DONATIONS WILL GO DIRECTLY TOWARD HOSTING AND SUPPORT COSTS OF BZ2MAPS.US ~ THANK YOU!

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Copyright © 2011 BZ2MAPS.US