Disable build zone push?
Poll ended at February 25th, 2015, 12:18 pm
Yes, for ALL units. 28%  28%  [ 5 ]
Yes, for all non-turrets, non-utility units. 50%  50%  [ 9 ]
Yes, but ONLY for non-turret hover units. 22%  22%  [ 4 ]
No, leave as is. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 18
PostPosted: February 24th, 2015, 12:18 pm 

Many people have complained about getting stuck in a building's animation.

For example, you're being chased on 10 hp and fly over a pool just as a scav is deploying. You instantly get stuck and pushed out slowly while your ship's speed is set to 0. Or a constructor is building a power generator over you, or whatever. DED.

This can be changed (to pre-1.3 style) by adding an ODF flag to each VSR unit "clearBuildZone=0".
This flag results in the building producing its normal collision while it is being constructed, without pushing out nearby units.

However this opens the oppurtinity for players to stick ass tanks inside of pools, power plants, etc...
Doubt anybody is going to do be lame enough to do that, but I do prefer physical mechanics to prevent cheating instead of verbal rules.

As the flag can be selectively enforced, it can remain active for turrets, scavengers, constructors, and any other units a player would not normally pilot. There's the risk some will stick rocket tanks in pools, etc, being the main concern.

Last edited by Vearie on September 20th, 2016, 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2015, 1:05 pm 

This shouldn't be so big a concern we need to have it, most people can follow the rules of the game and wouldn't put units inside buildings anyway

There are only a few lames in the game who would such as Muffin Greenforces and Xohm, so i vote it still pushes rats out of buildings

PostPosted: February 24th, 2015, 4:40 pm 

Quote:
This shouldn't be so big a concern we need to have it, most people can follow the rules of the game and wouldn't put units inside buildings anyway

There are only a few lames in the game who would such as Muffin Greenforces and Xohm, so i vote it still pushes rats out of buildings

I Would Rush Your Rec From Moment One And Rape You By 5 Minutes, Thats Before I Put Rattlers In Extractors ;)

Do Not Allow Yourself To Blame Your Secret Ambitions On Others Who Disturb Your Psychological Slumber With Their Absolute Truth In Statements.

#UnweaveTheWeb

~Xohm

PostPosted: February 24th, 2015, 5:23 pm 

YES very important!

PostPosted: February 24th, 2015, 6:57 pm 

Xohm's back bitches!

#Xohmification #UnweaveTheWeb #Truth #BrandonSmith

PostPosted: February 24th, 2015, 7:41 pm 

Perhaps make it so it pushes everything that is AI, but not human piloted ships, if that's possible.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2015, 8:14 pm 

If that were possible I wouldn't have made the thread at all.

I personally voted the 2nd option.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2015, 7:56 pm 
Admin

Build zone push was present in 1.2. It just worked differently for non-turret units. I think it waited for the building to be complete before pushing you out of the build zone and applying the building's geometry, or it made the geometry of the building collidable to units and pushed them just outside of it while the building was under construction. It didn't do that thing where you can get hung up on the building during it's entire construction.

I wanted to bring back the 1.2 behavior and did do some experimenting with clearBuildZone=0 over a year ago and determined that I didn't really like the behavior of that either. Buildings and scavengers could deploy on anything and grant that thing immunity to weapons fire because everything that was in the build zone would be protected by the building's geometry once it was up.

Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean.
Earn your keep.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2015, 10:44 pm 

I picked "non-turret, non-utility" but I suggest "non-hover" as well. There won't be a fleeing Rocket Tank or Mauler and have it run into a building. Hover units inside a building shouldn't be a concern either, as AI units will simply move and players won't sit there the entire game.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2015, 11:28 pm 

{bac}Zero Angel wrote:
Build zone push was present in 1.2. It just worked differently for non-turret units. I think it waited for the building to be complete before pushing you out of the build zone and applying the building's geometry, or it made the geometry of the building collidable to units and pushed them just outside of it while the building was under construction. It didn't do that thing where you can get hung up on the building during it's entire construction.

I wanted to bring back the 1.2 behavior and did do some experimenting with clearBuildZone=0 over a year ago and determined that I didn't really like the behavior of that either. Buildings and scavengers could deploy on anything and grant that thing immunity to weapons fire because everything that was in the build zone would be protected by the building's geometry once it was up.

Build zone push are not present in 1.2 at all, buildings simply have their normal collision in place at build time.
Rats or any other units could easily be placed in power generators for example because of this, and fire outward because collisions are checked based on the normal of the mesh's face.

ClearBuildZone is a newer 1.3 function to prevent this kind of cheating, but the side effect isn't worth it to most players. Cheaters are just kicked out of games anyway.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2015, 5:47 pm 
Admin

Vearie wrote:
Build zone push are not present in 1.2 at all, buildings simply have their normal collision in place at build time.
Rats or any other units could easily be placed in power generators for example because of this, and fire outward because collisions are checked based on the normal of the mesh's face.

Ah. You're right about that. I couldve swore that it was there in 1.2 but it mustve just been the case where most people would move out of the build zone on their own.

Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean.
Earn your keep.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2015, 8:19 pm 

{bac}Zero Angel wrote:
Vearie wrote:

Ah. You're right about that. I couldve swore that it was there in 1.2 but it mustve just been the case where most people would move out of the build zone on their own.

Nah this wasn't a thing in 1.2, even in 1.3 early testing when i played it i never noticed this, until i came back recently

We should be able to have a set of rules all players follow and not need to put silly things like this into the game, but unfortunately there are a handful of players out there who will take advantage of anything they can lame or not......must keep this in place to a degree