BATTLEZONE COMMUNITY FORUMS

Battlezone I & II Download, Gaming & Development
It is currently January 19th, 2018, 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: TEST RESULTS: M-Curtain
PostPosted: December 14th, 2014, 6:11 pm 

I did a test with silver for M-Curtain.

It appears it DOES bend blast. However it only bends sometimes and when there is at least 6+ mines in one spot. After firing several blast shots thru the field we found that blast is sometimes bent and sometimes not. When it DOES bend, it does so after traveling thru about 75% of the field.

No screenies/video was taken for this as it was done sporadically.

PostPosted: December 14th, 2014, 9:11 pm 

The bending of blast is a strange phenomenon in multiplayer only, not really anything to do with mcurtain's strength.

Place 1,000 mines in one place in the editor and it will never bend blast, ordnance physics are apparently done differently in multiplayer.

PostPosted: December 15th, 2014, 7:01 am 

I've gotten an mcur to bend blast in non multiworld, but it took insanely high numbers and a large field radius.

From what I found out from ken, the magnets effect is done based on TPS, so really fast ordinance like Blast almost always pass without getting the "lead" of their shot triggered. In Multiworld, things take 3 times longer, so its got more lag time to "catch" the blast shot.

PostPosted: December 15th, 2014, 12:08 pm 
Admin

M-Curtain was changed in VSR some time back, it is actually designed to let faster shots pass through it more to prevent an exploit in stock whereby misl scouts could hide in a building (like a forge) and spam mcurtains, becoming immune to any kind of weapons fire -- but also for the most part to resemble stock m-curtain to the point where you would not notice it's different from stock m-curtain unless you compared them side-by-side.

If even the current changes can't stop that from happening then i'll need to figure out how to mitigate any problems caused by m-curtain stacking.
General BlackDragon wrote:
I've gotten an mcur to bend blast in non multiworld, but it took insanely high numbers and a large field radius.

From what I found out from ken, the magnets effect is done based on TPS, so really fast ordinance like Blast almost always pass without getting the "lead" of their shot triggered. In Multiworld, things take 3 times longer, so its got more lag time to "catch" the blast shot.

That's good info. It explains why all my mcur tests in the editor don't completely reflect how it works out in multiplayer games.

Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean.
Earn your keep.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2014, 1:53 pm 

in some cases 2 mcurts will bend blast, it all depends on positioning

PostPosted: December 17th, 2014, 4:31 pm 

okay i have no idea what TPS but if things take 3x longer in multiworld then why not make blast a fuck load faster?

eg instead of 1E6 make it like 1E20

PostPosted: December 17th, 2014, 6:18 pm 

Mortarion wrote:

okay i have no idea what TPS but if things take 3x longer in multiworld then why not make blast a f**k load faster?

eg instead of 1E6 make it like 1E20

There's no need; that's roughly the distance between San Diego and El Paso. That said, BZ1's blast could cross the known universe twice a second if its rage permitted.

PostPosted: December 18th, 2014, 12:25 pm 

If AHadley was given the first name "Jordan", his name would be JHadley.

Blast (C/A) is actually 1e3 (1 thousand), slower than arc (C), laser (C/A), slicer (C/A), and dragon blast (A). (1e6, 1 million.)

PostPosted: December 18th, 2014, 5:20 pm 

How sure are we that when the Blast "bends" in multiplayer, it's actually being bent? Maybe it visually appears to bend, but it never actually did, and the target still takes damage? I guess I'm kind of thinking like when a laser shot is invisible, the other person still takes damage even though no laser shot was seen.

Sorry if this post doesn't make sense... long day.

PostPosted: December 18th, 2014, 5:37 pm 

Nevermind. I just tested it in my own game and in the editor.

M-Curtain does bend Blast, but it only appears to bend if the ship's cannon hardpoint is right on the edge of the mine's field. Basically, if the nose of the tank is sticking into the field, the blast shot will bend. This happens even with one M-Curtain mine. I fired a Blast shot through ONE M-Curtain field with just the nose of my ship sticking through, and the range of my Blast shot was reduced from the usual 170m to about 85m.

This also happens in the editor in single player.

If you place even 10 mines on the same spot and stick a tank's nose through the edge of the field, the shot will fire completely backwards.

I didn't get a chance to test this with Arc Cannon on a tank, or Blast in a Warrior. The problem could be with the location of the tank's cannon hardpoint if Warriors and other units don't have the same problem.

PostPosted: December 18th, 2014, 5:56 pm 

What F1 says is true, I only tested it under normal circumstances.

This is probably because ordnance do a check for magnetmines, etc, when they're created, and periodically (possibly each game tick) afterwards.

More than the strength of M-Curtain, what matters is the "phase" of checking the projectile itself does, which seems to be affected in multiplayer in some way.

My suggestion is don't shoot blast or beam weapons while at the edge of or inside M-Curtain.
Or too far away when it's likely to do a "check" for magnetmine collisions in the game.

It's not that blast is strong and resistant to M-Curtain (making M-Curtain weaker won't really help much.), but it's so fast it usually skips over a collision check for any M-Curtain mines in the first place.

PostPosted: December 18th, 2014, 7:42 pm 

so what if we made blast a lot faster, would that have any effect?