BATTLEZONE COMMUNITY FORUMS

Battlezone I & II Download, Gaming & Development
It is currently December 17th, 2017, 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Retro uberclassic games
PostPosted: March 25th, 2017, 4:40 pm 

Hard day this day but fortunately fruitful. I have been trying to get to run some uberclassic games on my Windows 10 computer. Homeworld, Homeworld 2, Quake 2, Quake 4, Battlezone.

Quake 4 ran with least trouble after downloading and installing some official patch. Apparently there are still some few people playing multiplayer!

Goes without CD in.

Homeworld 2 encountered some difficulties running setup file from the CD - rather strange - thus had to figure out, with the magical help of Windows 10 diagnostics, that I need to launch it in accordance with Windows XP SP 3 settings. Fix the game with a 1.1 official patch. Apart from that, it was necessary to throw in certain library file to make it compatible with my Radeon card. Besides, created a shortcut to a deeply hidden execution file and pasted a litany:

"(...)\Homeworld II\Bin\Release\Homeworld2.exe" -overrideBigFile -w 1600 -h 900 -fullscreen -truecolour -gl -d3d

Seemingly 1600x900 is the biggest resolution it can handle on a regular laptop 16:9 monitor.

Demands CD in.

Source info: Link

Quake 2 with both the expansion packs, added to my Quake 4 purchase as a nice bonus, which I was delighted to see - as the game is the most hardcore cyberpunk shooter I remember - ignited on Windows 10 but failed in every aspect of performance. Started to look for patches, found KMQuake2 sourceport but it appeared too baroque-ish to myself. Nevertheless, KMQuake2 is probably the thing to choose for modern retro multiplayer. I got interested in the Yamagi Quake 2 solution - maintaining the original qualities of the play while boosting the performance - which I found very inaccesible in terms of instructions on how to install it. Finally came to terms with it after good couple of hours of trying, forfeiting and returning.

a.) download this: Initial patch - it is the basic layer and starting point for the filesdigging work to be done
b.) follow the instructions in section "Game data Setup -> Full versions" on the site: link, which says:

Quote:
The easiest way to install a full version of Quake II is to start with the patch. Please note that the patch is required for all full versions of the game, even the newer ones like Steam. Without it Yamagi Quake II will not work!

Download the patch: http://deponie.yamagi.org/quake2/idstuf ... ll-ctf.exe
Extract the patch into an empty directory. The patch is just an ordinary self-extracting ZIP file. On Windows it can be extracted by double clicking on it, on other systems an archiver or even the unzip command can be used.
Now it's time to remove the following files from the extracted patch. They're the original executables, documentation and so on. They aren't needed anymore:

3.20_Changes.txt
quake2.exe
ref_gl.dll
ref_soft.dll
baseq2/gamex86.dll
baseq2/maps.lst
ctf/ctf2.ico
ctf/gamex86.dll
ctf/readme.txt
ctf/server.cfg
xatrix/gamex86.dll
rogue/gamex86.dll

Copy the pak0.pak file and the video/ subdirectory from your Quake II distribution (CD, Steam download, etc) into the baseq2/ subdirectory of the extracted patch.

If you own the optional addons you'll need to copy their gamedata too:

For The Reckoning copy the pak0.pak and the video/ subdirectory from your addon distribution into the xatrix/ subdirectory.
For Ground Zero copy the pak0.pak and the video/ subdirectory from your addon distribution into the rogue/ subdirectory.

c.) download this: Updated files (source site: link and paste it into your modded Quake 2 folder - this is the latest introduction into the patch suitable for Windows.
d.) You can eventually check out the music installation instructions listed here: link, just mind it demands OGG files. Perhaps you can make your own tracklist for Quake 2 if to name the files properly and put them in right format. If the music failed to play once the game starts, press for the music quality for high settings again in options, it should start then.

To obtain instant access to mission packs I created two shortcuts for the main launch file with added instructions:

"(...)\Quake2\Yamagi Quake2\Quake2.exe" /quake2 +set game xatrix"
"(...)\Quake2\Yamagi Quake2\Quake2.exe" /quake2 +set game rogue"

Quake 2 looks pretty amazing still with the modern patches.

Goes without CD in, basically we deal with a sourceport, so only some original gamefiles are needed.

Homeworld classic was quite a pain to get to run good enough. Fixing it with an official 1.05 patch - 1.05 - as well as the hardwere acceleration fix 1.01 for Windows 8 and later systems - acc 1.01 - was the easy part. I was basing on these instructions all the way: PCgameWIKI. After creating a launching shortcut with a proper litany, it took me a good while to find out I am supposed to run it in Windows XP SP3 settings along with the maximum resolution of 1152×648 for a standard 16:9 laptop monitor:

"(...)\Homeworld Classic\homeworld.exe" /triple /enable3DNow /enableSSE /pilotview /heap 1073741824

Resolution needs to be fixed in the registry files, so watch your fingers. But I say damn it is worth it. I Believe, Neo. Screen depth set best to 32.

Avoid touching the video settings after all these fixes or the game will severely crash.

Demands CD in.

EDIT:

Just found it is possible to run classic Homeworld in higher resolutions on a 16:9 monitor, in a windowed mode. To check better resolutions, such as 1366x768, 1600x900 and 1920x1080 or even higher, add -window possibly with -noborder and -freemouse commands to the earlier mentioned litany:

"(...)\Homeworld Classic\homeworld.exe" /triple /enable3DNow /enableSSE /pilotview /heap 1073741824 -window -noborder -freemouse

Also the newest news, if to type a nonexisting command in the file, for example /truecolour, it will display an info window with all available commands. It comes out the highest resolution the game is capable of taking without mingling in the registry files is 1600x1200, but the default screen proportions are other than 16:9.

Why do I post it all here? Because the classic Battlezone is also on the list and in contrary to all earlier mentioned, it failed to run properly with the 1.5 patch on the first and second take, perhaps because I installed the patch before restarting the computer as it suggested. I will pay some more attention to it later and maybe report the outcome.

Last edited by Darkon on March 25th, 2017, 5:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: March 25th, 2017, 7:56 pm 

With Battlezone classic patch 1.5 everything works fine, including lack of demand for a CD in, but the game lacks the animations. Perhaps it is some problem caused by the Indeo softwere. At first I skipped installing it, then decided to reinstall the game with the inclusion of it, but still the result is the same. Indeo told me I have newer drivers than it offers and it will save the files I have at the cost of available ones, which is understandable since they are newer. But it is strange the game goes out of animations because of that.

PostPosted: March 25th, 2017, 8:05 pm 

Another case with 1.5 patch Battlezone, the HUD is stuck in one size, meaning in more modern screen resolutions it is just too small.

Another more technical case I noticed, when as a pilot on foot, the screen flickers if direction of marching is sudennly changed to reverse.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2017, 5:05 am 

Good news, ran Battlezone 1.5 patch with Windows XP SP 3 setup accordance and as an administrator exclusively, resulting in animations work fine. The minor things I would call a nuisance is the temporal flickering of the screen right after loading and on some occasions during the game, primarily in the mentioned sudden movements as a footman. Also, in the NSDF first mission, the initial loading screen should pass only after a click, because there is a picture shown during the loading and with the current loading times it is merely a blink, so the click, to at least have an opportunity to see it. In the later missions there is a voice commentary, thus more time given.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2017, 7:05 am 

Right now I am playing some Yamagi sourceport Quake 2 with mission packs and I must tell this game is a hell of a shooter. Wondering what it is that makes it such a satisfying experience in that regard. The game has very decent sounds giving a proper impression of gunnery power when shooting, good dynamicism, good controls and conditions to pacing - it is well balanced in terms of time, movement speed, the spaces are matched for the speed to avoid making travel linger. But the behaviours of enemies are also vivid, how they die in agony, one can almost feel the impact of damage being delivered. It is all very meaty, substantial. But the game is also pretty dark and atmospheric, something I can see missing in my earliest experience with Quake 4.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2017, 8:16 am 

Interesting side note; the version of Quake II released on the Nintendo 64 has a completely different level set; it's basically a mission pack all of its own. Worth a look.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2017, 11:15 am 

Regarding Quke and mission packs, did you hear about Dimensions of the Past aka Episode 5 Mission Pack to the original classic?

Quote:
Episode 5: Dimensions of the Past (called "DOPA" for short) is an add-on episode for Quake developed by MachineGames, to commemorate the game's 20th anniversary. It is available to download for free.

Despite not being developed by id themselves, the episode is considered semi-official, being developed by a fellow Zenimax-owned company that has previously co-operated with id Software. The episode also contains many allusions and callbacks to Quake proper, such as the re-appearance of the Dopefish easter egg, along with the final level of the episode being almost identical to Shub-Niggurath's Pit.
soure: link

That kind of stance is what I call spirit and respect.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 5:54 am 

Yes, I did. There are a bunch of unofficial commercial mission packs for the various Quake games as well, some of which are rather good - including Quake II's "Zaero", which was developed by the same people who made The Red Odyssey. Doom has its share, though they're greater in number and of much, much lower quality bar perhaps the original version of Perdition's Gate, which we will sadly probably never see.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 12:22 pm 

Quake soundtrack. Smuggled it into my Yamagi Quake 2 game. The best disturbing piece of music since classic Fallouts wasteland noises in my experience.

https://www.quaddicted.com/quake/soundtrack

PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 3:13 pm 

And if you're ever bored of listening to Nine Inch Nails while you play Quake you can listen to Methods of Destruction instead, which was made by the guy who wrote the music for Quake II.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 11:13 pm 

Although I am familiar with extreme instrumental and vocal music - such as Limbonic Art, though with this one the scope of repertoire is wide - as well as extreme electronic and vocal acts such as Suicide Commando, on the first hearing I disliked the score for Quake 2. I find it unsuitable, disimmersive. Ambient music works best, followed by unvocaled electro, at least to my taste.

PostPosted: March 28th, 2017, 3:59 am 

The genre of music one is listening to when playing a game can significantly change the mood of the entire thing. That's why developers put so much effort into choosing the right music, after all; it's as important as the game's art style. When I first played through Quake II, I did it to Pink Floyd's "The Division Bell". On future playthroughs I used the original soundtrack, and it felt a great deal more cohesive as a result.

If you prefer Quake set to dark ambient music, might I suggest looking at the Nintendo 64 soundtracks for Quake and Quake II? There's also the PS1 Doom and Final Doom soundtracks that fit this niche, though his Quake 3 soundtrack is a completely different sound that's altogether more videogame-y.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next