BATTLEZONE COMMUNITY FORUMS

Battlezone I & II Download, Gaming & Development
It is currently November 18th, 2017, 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: April 12th, 2017, 8:26 am 
User avatar
Moderator
Offline

Joined: November 28th, 2010, 4:03 am
Posts: 1985
Location: Stafford, UK
Darkon wrote:
The case is, are common mods on the exemplay ModDB portal copyrighted, to enable formal law suits?
All creative works are copyrighted the moment they are conceived; it is simply a matter of who owns what and how they choose to license it.

Darkon wrote:
The term "moloch" I use in pejorative sense, to call upon a stereotype of an impactful, totalistic, dehumanizing system, oftentimes promoting or utilizing some kind of enslavement. Megacorporations could oftentimes be called molochs in that sense, especially when their employment policy is radically profit oriented and exploitative. Calling STEAM a moloch is pointing towards the growing range of that platform, soon to apparently dominate the market. The question is, is that good?
The word "moloch" either refers to an Australian lizard, or is a bibclical reference to a Canaanite/Phoenician god that demanded child sacrifice. To invoke the latter when describing something is to say it is harmful to children.

_________________
Image
The Battlezone Wiki needs your help!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: April 12th, 2017, 8:51 am 
User avatar
Offline

Joined: February 23rd, 2017, 11:56 pm
Posts: 414
Ded10c wrote:
All creative works are copyrighted the moment they are conceived; it is simply a matter of who owns what and how they choose to license it.

It would look bizarre or pretentious if a fellow modder suited a collegue from ModDB platfrom for misusing the contents the first one made publicly available, without purposefully hurting anyones feelings.

By the way, "go fuck yourself" is an official offense used in Brutal Doom, mainly to lure the monster.

Ded10c wrote:
The word "moloch" either refers to an Australian lizard, or is a bibclical reference to a Canaanite/Phoenician god that demanded child sacrifice. To invoke the latter when describing something is to say it is harmful to children.

If to base on formally rooted terms with bibliographical references, yes, but perhaps the notion I presented dwells in the commonsay of my native language. Somewhere I must have picked it up. "Moloch" term would also be used to describe pejoratively an extensive architectonical construct.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: April 12th, 2017, 9:54 am 
User avatar
Moderator
Offline

Joined: November 28th, 2010, 4:03 am
Posts: 1985
Location: Stafford, UK
Darkon wrote:
It would look bizarre or pretentious if a fellow modder suited a collegue from ModDB platfrom for misusing the contents the first one made publicly available, without purposefully hurting anyones feelings.


That depends on what the content is and who is the legal owner. I not so long ago successfully issued somebody a takedown notice for hosting one of my mods without permission or credit - not something I'd have done under normal circumstances, but as he was openly hostile towards me and my team for no discernable reason I went ahead with it. Point is, that demand carried legal weight and I could have sued him had he refused to comply. Most Battlezone mod content is automatically owned by Activision due to the editor license agreement (or rather it was at the time, that's now Rebellion), but anything that doesn't pass through the editor in any way remains owned by its creator. This particular mod included a C# launcher I had written, which meant something I owned the rights to was being distributed illegally.

_________________
Image
The Battlezone Wiki needs your help!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: April 12th, 2017, 11:26 pm 
User avatar
Offline

Joined: February 23rd, 2017, 11:56 pm
Posts: 414
Ded10c wrote:
Regarding the way video games are marketed, we see exactly the same in every other industry in the world. Music, cars, food, clothes, books, films and yes, games. PR and marketing for video games is no different from PR and marketing for anything else you care to name. The problem you have isn't a video games thing, it's an economics thing.

This is a videogame trailer I find very enjoyable - Borderlands 2:



I used to be very much into the Earth post-nuke themes, starting with Fallout classics but also beyond that to the narrative roleplaying games and fiction of interest, but seemingly I have shot myself into outer space lately due to preferring some stronger science-fiction topics.

Post-nuke is a great theme though. The combination of both the advanced pre-war tech with the crude post-war survival, mixed in a sauce of free for all hazardous exploration with punkish mindset involved and all the possible strangeness to be found, specific to the post-war post-human and trans-human era.

Cyberpunk is also nice, though I found it hard to properly grip, notably there must be something in it playing according to the tune which is outside of my vibe. But mostly the settings I talk about are results of a mixture of two contrasting influences, typically high and low, idealistic and utilitarian, natural and artificial, futuro-present and past, sad and joyful, which eventually merge to create a unique result without yet excluding the conflicts arising both between the clean representations of the world defining influences, as well as the drama related with emergence of a new transgressive creation.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: April 13th, 2017, 12:33 am 
User avatar
Offline

Joined: February 23rd, 2017, 11:56 pm
Posts: 414
Returning to the Brutal Doom, there is a classic mode included in it:

Quote:
Classic Mode was introduced (v20) - this mode removes the players 'modernized' abilities, such as kicking, offending, reloading, and grenade tossing, and brings back a newer, more powerful version of the classic weapon sets. Some weapons, such as the Chaingun, have new graphics. Many weapons still have the ability to headshot and destroy limbs when using mouse aim.
http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Brutal_Doom

Yamagi let me rediscover Quake 2. Sometimes a good mod is like a good translation or interpretation, it just revelas the layers that would otherwise remain hidden to the recipient, allowing to embrace the thing. I think in case of old Doom it would be Brutal Doom for me, with all the scope of options and features it provides, acting like a modern day shooter while being a damn good retro at the same time, but I will have to go into the anatomy of GZDoom sourceport as well, to probably see what else can be done with the game.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: April 13th, 2017, 1:12 am 
User avatar
Offline

Joined: February 23rd, 2017, 11:56 pm
Posts: 414
Know any essential mods for Doom 3? I know there are bunch of important graphical upgrades comaptible only with basic game version - that is, beyond BFG edition. Any more recommendable?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: April 13th, 2017, 11:28 am 
User avatar
Moderator
Offline

Joined: November 28th, 2010, 4:03 am
Posts: 1985
Location: Stafford, UK
The interesting thing about Borderlands is that it's not really post-apocalyptic; it appears to be at first glance with its grey-brown pallete, scavenged engineering and general atmosphere but Pandora was never met with an apocalypse in the contemporary sense. Pandora is simply post-society, and it uses that to draw some interesting parallels.

The "high and low" contrast in Cyberpunk is usually the interplay between high technology and low society. That's why so much cyberpunk is also described as "technoir". The underpinning of the genre is that despite the advances in technology society has not just failed to advance from whichever dystopian theme the author is building on, but has fallen deeper into it as a direct result of same technology. In the seminal example (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep / Blade Runner) that manifests in prejudice against the Replicants. In the cyberpunk game I was writing last year that manifested in the internet worsening groupthink and tribalism.

Regards Doom 3 I'd recommend looking into co-op mods. I don't know which is the best one, but as a feature co-op play was present in the Xbox version of the game. That aside it's worth playing the Resurrection of Evil expansion and the Lost Mission from the BFG Edition (and if you have the hardware you might be interested in Doom: Resurrection and the Doom RPGs).

_________________
Image
The Battlezone Wiki needs your help!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: April 13th, 2017, 12:17 pm 
User avatar
Offline

Joined: February 23rd, 2017, 11:56 pm
Posts: 414
Ded10c wrote:
The interesting thing about Borderlands is that it's not really post-apocalyptic; it appears to be at first glance with its grey-brown pallete, scavenged engineering and general atmosphere but Pandora was never met with an apocalypse in the contemporary sense. Pandora is simply post-society, and it uses that to draw some interesting parallels.

The "high and low" contrast in Cyberpunk is usually the interplay between high technology and low society. That's why so much cyberpunk is also described as "technoir". The underpinning of the genre is that despite the advances in technology society has not just failed to advance from whichever dystopian theme the author is building on, but has fallen deeper into it as a direct result of same technology. In the seminal example (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep / Blade Runner) that manifests in prejudice against the Replicants. In the cyberpunk game I was writing last year that manifested in the internet worsening groupthink and tribalism.

Nice.

Ded10c wrote:
Regards Doom 3 I'd recommend looking into co-op mods. I don't know which is the best one, but as a feature co-op play was present in the Xbox version of the game. That aside it's worth playing the Resurrection of Evil expansion and the Lost Mission from the BFG Edition (and if you have the hardware you might be interested in Doom: Resurrection and the Doom RPGs).

Regarding the Resurrection of Evil expansion set, it is available secondhand but in few numbers and the price is about twice the one of Doom 3. It would actually be better to buy it on STEAM if this was any way to take, though uncertain whether it would work with retail version of the game.

About the Doom 3 mods, most people recommend "Redux", though there are plenty interesting gameplay tweaking ones, most containing their own graphical - also audial - upgrades. The game seems more abundant in mods than Quake 4.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: April 13th, 2017, 12:47 pm 
User avatar
Offline

Joined: February 23rd, 2017, 11:56 pm
Posts: 414
Quote:
Regarding the Resurrection of Evil expansion set, it is available secondhand but in few numbers and the price is about twice the one of Doom 3. It would actually be better to buy it on STEAM if this was any way to take, though uncertain whether it would work with retail version of the game.

Even if buying Resurrection of Evil on STEAM ever became an option, I doubt I would be able to download the contents without buying and downloading the same way the base game itself.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: April 13th, 2017, 5:02 pm 
User avatar
Moderator
Offline

Joined: November 28th, 2010, 4:03 am
Posts: 1985
Location: Stafford, UK
You are correct. Steam expansions require the basegame. The Xbox version is standalone if that helps you any, and it's also included in the BFG edition.

_________________
Image
The Battlezone Wiki needs your help!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: April 13th, 2017, 11:42 pm 
User avatar
Offline

Joined: February 23rd, 2017, 11:56 pm
Posts: 414
The downside of secondhand market - if something is considered a rarity, it will probably cost adequate money.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: April 17th, 2017, 10:55 am 
User avatar
Offline

Joined: February 23rd, 2017, 11:56 pm
Posts: 414
Regarding Doom 3, people recommend the socalled "Duct Tape" mod, allowing for smaller but brighter flashlight mounted with basic weapons. I saw somewhere a mod changing grenades into flares but in the comments it was called a poor trade.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


PLEASE SUPPORT US BY MAKING A DONATION TO BZ2MAPS.US!

ALL DONATIONS WILL GO DIRECTLY TOWARD HOSTING AND SUPPORT COSTS OF BZ2MAPS.US ~ THANK YOU!

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Copyright © 2011 BZ2MAPS.US