BATTLEZONE COMMUNITY FORUMS

Battlezone I & II Download, Gaming & Development
It is currently October 23rd, 2017, 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: May 5th, 2017, 6:54 am 

Ded10c wrote:
I handed my dissertation in last Friday. Just a bachelor's degree for now - not planning a master's or doctorate yet but it might come in future.

Would you like to tell what was the subject?

PostPosted: May 5th, 2017, 3:16 pm 

Darkon wrote:
Would you like to tell what was the subject?

It was a philosophical analysis of a phenomenon I referred to as metanomia; rulesets that evolve through their own application. There's an excellent game called Nomic that demonstrates the idea perfectly, but aside from a few paragraphs in a pair of cognitive science books and an appendix in a law textbook it's never got much attention and it's criminally overlooked. At some point I'm going to go through the entire thing with a fine-toothed comb and update it to the point that it's worthy of academic publishing, so I don't really want to post it yet, but it's certainly an interesting topic to look into.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2017, 5:35 am 

Do you have any idea of applying it in digital games?

PostPosted: May 6th, 2017, 5:47 am 

Pure metanomia is impossible to apply to video games, at least without massive changes to intelligent computing, because it would require the ability to change every aspect of a game's programming. The more metanomia you introduce, the closer you get to game development.

That said it can be implemented in some ways; simulators like VBS and DIVE allow the scenario instructor to change the scenario in real-time. In a way that's fairly similar to the metanomia you'd see with a GM or umpire in a tabletop RPG or a Kriegßpiel.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2017, 10:02 am 

Yes, narrative classic RPGs, basing entirely on interpresonal communication, allow enough flexibility as to be able to change the rules during the proceeding. But what about the notion of rules evolving through their use, it happens in life all the time - law, politics, customs - is that also metanomia?

It would be good to establish a separate thread to discuss the thing if there is will to discussion.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2017, 10:08 am 

Darkon wrote:
But what about the notion of rules evolving through their use, it happens in life all the time - law, politics, customs - is that also metanomia?

It is. One of my main points was that our entire lives are structured by rule systems that we take for granted, and that we also take for granted that all of these rule systems are open to change. Games are the only exception to this.

PostPosted: May 7th, 2017, 2:49 am 

Could it be said that metanomia in your take is application of evolution to socially upheld concepts, minding these concepts can exist only as long as there are human minds prolonging them, thus the change of these concepts directly reflect the change of human mindset and perception in given era?

You say only games are exception to this. Society and conceptual boundaries are forms of game itself, the way humans play around about the access to means allowing the fulfillment of commonly shared Maslow values. Could it be said then only games basing on certain type of communication and group dynamicism are prone to metanomia, that is change of rules maintaining certain integrity of the play?

Regarding narrative RPGs, you should check out Mage the Ascension. I know personally Mage the Ascension Second Edition, but the thing to get nowadays is Mage the Ascension Twentieth Anniversary Edition I believe. It is regarded the most intellectually elaborate thing to have ever been created within the circle of narrative RPGs, I mean the franchise. Mind yet Mage the Awakening is a different thing.

PostPosted: May 7th, 2017, 6:03 am 

Metanomia as my dissertation described it simply means the phenomenon of self-modifying rulesets, whether in games or elsewhere. I wouldn't have described society as a game necessarily, at least not considering the generally accepted definition of the concept (Homo Ludens is the book to go to for that).

I describe games as the sole exception because we see metanomic change routinely in every rule system we experience except games, where the rules are generally much less mutable. You are correct about certain types of communication being required to accommodate the phenomenon, but it can still be brought into other systems.

PostPosted: May 7th, 2017, 7:27 am 

I see the point you make, that games require staticism of certain notions to maintain own stability, nonetheless so does society have values of further instance that regulate the process of macrolevel adaptation, such as humanity, lawfulness and world peace for example. The latter ones I would call metavalues, since rarely they are clearly defined but oblige as some mysterious whatsoever areas of intersubjective reference even on formal level when more common institutions fail. Thus what is stable seems actually undefined, as what is defined can always be reformulated. Regarding games, I would divide them into categories determined by the level of spontaneity or flexibility they allow, thus how much metacriteria they contain. Computer games by definition should be low on these factors, but narrative RPGs and further on an actual game of life - even if we say life is a zero-sum game - more so. That is the more we are able to transcend what is defined, avoiding getting captured by it, the more we are allowed to make changes to the way the things proceed, even if it is all in our own heads. Because how can you have rules without rulekeepers - that is a cosmological question?

Mage the Ascension is a story about sheer change applied on the fabric of reality through the will of an individual, including an attempt to explain the way this change could be placed in our understanding of reality.

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2017, 2:26 am 

When it comes to running retroclassics, I found switching on the "“Disable Display Scaling on High DPI Settings” option in compatibility settings profitable, as it allows bigger resolutions without having screen go offborder, which let me have 1920x1080 in Homeworld2.

PostPosted: October 4th, 2017, 10:22 am 

Currently I play Prey from 2006 with some little "autoexec" tweaks, though the game just as it is works simply fine minding the freely downloadable patch, as well as from among the IdTech4 trio - standing next to Doom3 and Quake4 - technically and gameplaywise it appears to be the best one, nonetheless the background and narrative themes may be controversial in terms whether they would catch on with majority of audience.

PostPosted: October 4th, 2017, 10:23 am 

Painkiller Black Edition is an absolute classic, actually working very well even on modern systems.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next