BATTLEZONE COMMUNITY FORUMS

Battlezone I & II Download, Gaming & Development
It is currently August 17th, 2017, 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: February 18th, 2011, 10:47 pm 

(Bear in mind all of my recent experience has been from 1.3 strat against a handful of 1.2ers with some newbies literally caught in the crossfire.)

I've noticed that toward the end of Scion vs. ISDF games, the Scion commander generally sticks with Absorbtion even though in my experience Warriors take more damage from Chain Gun, Shadowers and Turret fire than they do from Blast.

Even in the first few full tech dogfights, Blast gets thrown wildly off target by Arc Cannon's jolt and then the Warrior gets hit with a volley of what's usually Chain Gun rounds, right before the Sabre gets hit by another Arc.

I was always told that Absorbtion is the only shield worth using at any point in the game but now I'm starting to wonder if Absorbtion's usefulness peaks in mid to late game, about the same time Blast first hits the field, then drops back down once Warriors have the ISDF locked in their base.

Any thoughts?

"It is not only his right, but his duty...to find the verdict according to his own best understanding, judgment and conscience, though in direct opposition to the direction of the court." - John Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 19th, 2011, 12:15 am 
I'm sure it would be effective to change around shields during games; but most people are too lazy to do that. Either way, blast owns deflection, chain owns absorption, so it's difficult to counter a sabre. I try to focus on a variety of weapon distribution on warriors rather than worrying about shields (e.g. sonic/emp and arc/guass warriors). In any case, a good warrior team will blink in, own, and blink out without much worry about isdf weapons :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 19th, 2011, 12:27 am 

Sly has this put well, but I have to say, even though we are speaking of late game. I usually request deflection early game due to more scout and shad usage (Because the ISDF team has undboutly kept their fulls). This is of course more effective. I tend to want to stick with deflection throughout most of the game due to excessive Missile Scout usage.

If the scion team can start with deflection and hit pools and keep the ISDF team short on scrap, they'll never have to worry about blast or anything of that sort. But then again bugs are very difficult to fight and are easy to throw-off game balance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 19th, 2011, 12:31 am 
Another thing to note is that a good commander will always keep a look at the scrap management of his enemy. If the ISDF does not have an upgrade, it would be very effective to constantly spread around deflection/absorption depending on what the enemy chooses to use, like laser and chains. Pumping out 20 scrap weps can become difficult without an upgrade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 19th, 2011, 8:42 am 

If you are gonna stick with only one type of shields, I'd use absorption.

If the enemy sees that you got deflection, he can change to energy weapons as well! And if he does that and attacks you with laser scouts and blast tank, then you're toast if you got deflection.

And the thing with projectiles, like chain, mini, etc. is that it takes time to drain your health, and you can see your health go down slowly. But with energy weapons, one hit takes off 10-20% each hit. So it's much more difficult to know when to blink away if you got deflection rather than absorption.

And by the time you do have warriors with blink+absorption, you surely are winning, and should be attacking their base. They will most likely have gun towers, and absorption can withstand the plasma better than deflection.

PostPosted: May 7th, 2013, 8:47 am 

When energy weapons are used-absorbtion
When hard bulletfire and missles are used- deflection

At start when no tech is build deflection. When tech is up and blast tanks are out switch to absorbtion
If isdf manages to get alot of rocket tanks on field id consider switching to deflection/static? As both types are dominating the field.. unless im lazy/ppl know what to avoid to NOT DIE with their warrior

Basicly if its a long game my default is neither absorbtion or deflection untill the other team forces to use one type of weaponry or when there no ai units other then turrets

PostPosted: May 7th, 2013, 1:23 pm 
Admin

A few things:

1) Blast is really powerful vs deflection shielding and will hurt the warrior just as bad as if he were using no shields at all.
2) In stock BZ2 (all versions), shadowers actually do MORE damage to deflection shielding then they do to absorbtion. This is counter-intuitive but I verified it by looking in the weapon files, and the shadower 'explosion' (as opposed to 'direct hit') damage does more damage against deflection. This results in deflection warriors recieving slightly more damage overall. In VSR this is reversed, shads do slightly more damage to absorbtion than they do in stock, however when a shadower hits a deflection shielded warrior, that warrior takes a moderately less amount of damage.

For situations where the enemy is using blast tanks and missile scouts:

1) In stock BZ2, absorbtion is a no-brainer. Just use it unless you're confident that the enemy team is under-teched and wont be hitting you with blast anytime soon.
2) For VSR, deflection is more useful if the enemy is using a lot of chain scouts and missile scouts. Absorbtion is still a relatively 'safe' shield choice but deflection is now more useful vs shads so keep that in mind.

Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean.
Earn your keep.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2013, 9:47 am 

{bac}Zero Angel wrote:
A few things:

2) In stock BZ2 (all versions), shadowers actually do MORE damage to deflection shielding then they do to absorbtion.

It seems most people take missiles and rockets in BZ2 as a physical object being shot away, in the case of Shads I simply see a bolt of energy flying that behaves as the homing missiles as we know them today. Which could explain why absorbtion works better vs them as Shads are(seem as) energy based weapons.
Thats at least how I explained it for myself :)

PostPosted: May 8th, 2013, 10:24 am 

Probably because missiles are projectile weapons and most of them have models.

PostPosted: May 9th, 2013, 3:14 am 

Red Spot wrote:
{bac}Zero Angel wrote:
A few things:

2) In stock BZ2 (all versions), shadowers actually do MORE damage to deflection shielding then they do to absorbtion.

It seems most people take missiles and rockets in BZ2 as a physical object being shot away, in the case of Shads I simply see a bolt of energy flying that behaves as the homing missiles as we know them today. Which could explain why absorbtion works better vs them as Shads are(seem as) energy based weapons.
Thats at least how I explained it for myself :)

are you all there?

PostPosted: May 9th, 2013, 7:10 am 

AHadley wrote:
Probably because missiles are projectile weapons and most of them have models.

I know, but if you compare say wasp with shads, you cant deny that the shads seems as if its just some bolt of energy flying around.

Mortarion wrote:
are you all there?

So many topics to troll in and you need to pick this one?
You really want every bit of info to end up in the trollhole, dont you?
Grow up, ask your sister how to.

PostPosted: May 9th, 2013, 7:21 am 

How exactly does a shadower look like a bolt of energy? Bolts of energy tend to travel an awful lot faster than that. Even what we typically consider "energy" weapons (like the plasma cannons or ion gun) are doubtless projectile-based. The blast and flash cannons are definitely energy-based, but those are the only ones I can say for sure (might be others I've overlooked).

Added to which, IIRC the shadower ordnance has a geometry. I know matter, mass and energy are technically the same thing, but for a bolt of energy those shadowers look distinctly missile-shaped.