BATTLEZONE COMMUNITY FORUMS

Battlezone I & II Download, Gaming & Development
It is currently December 13th, 2017, 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2012, 4:05 am 

i doubt they really practice running sideways and shooting in real militaries.

i even tried looking up strafiing, and it's only a technique done with airplanes.

which video games are realistic gun wise? i thought open world third person shooters might be realistic, in the sense they have to run for cover before they shoot

is there anyone who has experience from wars, who can explain the differences and similarites of real gun fights compared to games?

my only closest thing to a real experience, one time i was at a night club, and the party got cancelled early cause of a massive brawl that started, and when we were waiting for our ride in the parking lot, the same people who were fighting, went to their cars and got a gun, and started shooting each other, and everyone started running in panic, me and the girl with me were so close, and we ducked behind a car and stayed hidden until they left and police came.

ehh.... that's actually kinda why i'm asking this question, my friends were having a huge debate about call of duty being realistic, and i was standing there quiet and didn't say anything, and for some reason, i think, it may not really be that realistic, largely to due with that experience, i think a real gun fight would be much more scarier, and you can't really run around and shoot

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2012, 5:15 am 

Hitting anything while walking or running sideways is pretty damn hard. I was a tanker in the U.S. Army back in the late 70's and the best a tank can do is strafe with it's machine gun from left to right up and down and vise versa. Although, it can hang it's guns over the side and fire along a path as it moves forwards or backwards. I wish we had hover tanks, but we're still pretty much stuck with tank tracks or rubber wheels for movement. Tracked vehicles can do what's called a nuetral steer manuver where it can rotate in place where the tracks turn in opposite directions as well.

Video games aren't realistic compared to real combat. In real life one well placed tank round can kill the entire tank crew made up of typically a tank commander, driver, gunner, and loader. At the very least a single tank round would seriously damage the tank itself and more then likely disable it from moving anymore. The general rule in real combat is to be the first tank to spot the enemy tank and use the element of surprize to fire the first round then fire additional rounds to kill the enemy tank. Taking cover afterwards is also a standard practice as your position is now known by the enemy tank and any other threats in the same area. Tank crews typically will engage multiple enemy targets on the battlefield and continue to engage any they see until no other threats are found.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2012, 6:49 am 

how long were you in the army?

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2012, 8:18 am 

To my knowledge, the most realistic military games ever made are the Arma series; to such an extent that its realism meant it didn't sell all that well.

That said, Battlezone is a sci-fi, so it can pretty much do what the hell it wants.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2012, 10:27 am 

Mortarion wrote:
how long were you in the army?

I served 3 years actively, and another 6 years in the inactive ready reserve. My unit was called the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment based out of Fort Bliss, Texas. We trained extensively in the deserts of far West Texas. The tanks we used are now obselete and have been replaced by the one the Army now uses called the M-1 Abrams.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2012, 4:22 pm 

that's pretty cool man, i really just copied this from yahooanwsers for lulz but glad i found out something interesting from it eh.

Quote:
To my knowledge, the most realistic military games ever made are the Arma series; to such an extent that its realism meant it didn't sell all that well.

That said, Battlezone is a sci-fi, so it can pretty much do what the hell it wants.

to be honest i dont see the point of realistic war games on pcs and consoles and whatnot, seems like some people are so desperate to experience warfare despite being basement dwellers. makes no sense. id say to these guys to join the army if they want to be soldiers but they probably wouldn't pass the fitness tests which have most likely been lowered a lot in the past ~50 years to accomidate more women. (as if thats a good thing)

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2012, 10:44 pm 

AHadley wrote:

Thanks to the DAYZ mod it sells quite well now. And its realism is really impressive. Being a clean gaming addict I dont play it myself but Ive watched a ton of DAYZ videos on youtube.

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2012, 3:55 pm 

My friend plays Arma 2 religiously. It is meant to look like it is based off of (or maybe it is, I can't remember) an actual combat simulator for the military. When it came time to be tested in boot camp, my friend received the some of the highest shooting scores in his platoon, and he attributed it a lot to his playing Arma 2.

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2012, 4:38 pm 

I don't know if ARMA was, but funnily enough, DayZ was designed as a suggestion to help train soldiers for situations provoking emotional response.

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2012, 5:23 pm 

why play arma 2 and what not when you can do the stuff in this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVGy34Tz ... ure=relmfu skip to 2:33 which actually trains soldiers for real life situations

PostPosted: September 24th, 2012, 3:21 pm 

Couldn't tell you, I've never played it.

PostPosted: September 25th, 2012, 4:47 am 

Mortarion wrote:
why play arma 2 and what not when you can do the stuff in this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVGy34Tz ... ure=relmfu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; skip to 2:33 which actually trains soldiers for real life situations

As I recall most major nations now use realistic software based training. I'd love to see more realistic video games released though.