BATTLEZONE COMMUNITY FORUMS

Battlezone I & II Download, Gaming & Development
It is currently December 17th, 2017, 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: September 27th, 2012, 4:35 pm 

People claim they want realism, what they want is authenticity. They want the gun to feel real, they want it to look like it should, but they also want it to shoot way more bullets than it ever did IRL.

PostPosted: September 27th, 2012, 5:26 pm 
Admin

I believe the word you're looking for is 'believability', that the laws of an in-game universe operate in some consistent manner that allows the player to become a part of them and suspend disbelief so that he can enjoy the experience.

Look at many FPS games, or even a game like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (or even any of the numerous sports games out there). The idea of becoming a character is one appeal, while being an ace pilot, soldier, etc is also part of that appeal. The constraints of 'realism' do not appeal to those who seek to experience the sense of being uber -- in fact it interferes with it most of the time and a lot of people feel cheated by one-shot deaths that come out of nowhere although it would very often happen in a real combat situation.

However if you can set up the world in a way that the player can see the causation that allows that fictional world to exist in a coherent, understandable form then you have accomplished one of the goals of any entertainment-oriented art form. Simulation-oriented art forms (like aircraft sims, military sims) allow the player to live vicariously in different ways, however these mediums tend to be unpopular with a lot of people due to the constraints imposed on them by realism. Not to say that simulators can't be fun -- they're simply not popular.

Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean.
Earn your keep.

PostPosted: September 27th, 2012, 7:52 pm 

{bac}Zero Angel wrote:
I believe the word you're looking for is 'believability', that the laws of an in-game universe operate in some consistent manner that allows the player to become a part of them and suspend disbelief so that he can enjoy the experience.

I was actually quoting someone when it came to the specific words "realism" and "authenticity". It was in one of TotalBiscuit's Mailbox videos. I happen to agree with his view, and he specifically brought up ARMA.

It is about the illusion of authenticity, not the attainment of it. When a gamer asks for a realistic game, what he wants is one in a setting that could theoretically happen, with weapons that appear to be real, but are not. Real stuff tends to not be as fun.