BATTLEZONE COMMUNITY FORUMS

Battlezone I & II Download, Gaming & Development
It is currently December 13th, 2017, 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2010, 8:45 pm 
Admin

As we know, in Battlezone II, to RUN FAST, we must simultaneously:
point nose of ship to ground as much as possible, go forward while applying jump jets ... and for additional speed, hold strafe (left OR right). Additional speed may also be achieved by moving the nose of the ship slightly, left and right (mouse), while using the above technique. This activates multiple thrust points on your ship and can be manipulated and applied to one direction, usually in effort to get away before your ship blows. Save your commander crucial scrap!! [-X

aim nose of ship to ground | forward | jump | left or right (strafe) | move nose of ship left and right allows your ship move MUCH faster, yet harder to control and takes practice. Each of these steps will make your ship faster., the more thrust points you include, the faster you go!!

However, BZ2 v1.3 needs a setting enabled in order to help RUN FAST like we do in v1.2. You will not be able to run much faster in 1.3 UNLESS you do the following:
Absolute Pitch needs to be ON (options | play | Absolute Pitch (set to ON) This needs to be set ON to allow 'running' in 1.3 (absolute pitch on allows nose of ship to point to ground much better, thus allowing more forward thrust). Additional speed may also be achieved by moving the nose of the ship slightly, left and right (mouse), while using the above technique.

Unless absolute pitch is ON in 1.3, you will not be able to run fast as we do in 1.2. Absolute Pitch ON also helps you to come close to 'flying' good distances; however in 1.3, gravity will eventually take the ship down to ground, whereas in 1.2 I can 'fly' indefinitely by pointing nose to ground | reverse | strafe (left or right) | and jump jets (can fly any direction indefinitely, take ALOT of practice).

I hope this helps you all ... especially the die hard 1.2 vets too stubborn to play 1.3! :smt098

Last edited by Juggernaut on November 19th, 2011, 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 26th, 2010, 7:14 pm 

i have pitch off in 1.2 dose it even do anything in 1.2?

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 27th, 2010, 4:45 pm 
Admin

I notice little to no difference with 1.2 ... you can run fast with it on or off. 1.3 it DOES make a considerable difference and is needed to be on to run fast.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2012, 6:15 pm 

to run fast(er), do you still need pitch on in VSR 4?

I am currently playing around with settings and controls trying to see what i like best. Just curious if this has changed.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2012, 7:22 pm 
Admin

Pitch on for stock 1.3 helps to run fast, not sure if it matters much for VSR.

remember, pitch on does not do it alone:
nose to ground, forward, strafe and jump jets at same time is the trick to run very fast.

You can also 'fly' in VSR, which requires another skill set common in BZ2 version 1.2. Not easy to do, but fun once you get it and a great way to escape or attack from the air (jump a hill, point nose to ground and hold reverse while you have momentum in air, you will gain great distance, strafe also works with this - using the opposite strafe from ground while flying sideways). This ability was common in 1.2, removed in stock 1.3, but thanks to ZA reintroduced in VSR by tweaking the physics to be more like 1.2. It takes alot of practice to master.

PostPosted: May 9th, 2012, 11:42 am 

To make things (a lot) easier, you can just assign a secondary key to all 3 actions (steer/strafe (left or right/jump).
Just press that -one- button to do all 3 when you have the need for speed ;)

PostPosted: May 9th, 2012, 2:03 pm 

Good in theory, but it doesn't work. Moving in 1.2, at least for people who have mastered moving really fast, requires a lot of sensitivity when it comes to moving over terrain. You almost have to feel yourself moving over it. Slight shifts in keys is necessary over certain bumps or while transcending from flat terrain to a vertical hill with no loss in speed.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2012, 1:15 pm 

I know Sly, but this as a 'brute aproach' does work quite well to get you moving (no previous statement about hovering or 1.2).
In all farness I dont even use it myself, just tried it to know it does work.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2012, 4:11 pm 

Red Spot wrote:
I dont even use it myself

Why not?

EDIT: Nevermind, re-read posts in context.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2012, 10:22 pm 

This "brute" method will not get you the speed needed to say...get out of an enemies base from a standstill after you've just killed an upgrade. Binding keys like this is tantamount to how twosheds claimed Cloaket and I bound our hop out of ship and snipe keys to the same button (no sense made). Learning how to run fast: take the nose down thing as your first step - then just play many DM's until you've gotten a feel for how to move truly fast.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2012, 12:28 am 

Example: try doing that key bind thing, then try to turn in either direction without losing any speed.

Hint: you wont do it.

You need to alter your movements and your strafing in order to glide through those turns smoothly and quickly. Also, there are other methods (Sly: ZOOM) that require the use of several different boosters being used at different times which which you can use to accelerate much faster and gain much higher speed. I would argue that these methods are more "brute force" than a button bind.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2012, 1:24 am 

Red Spot wrote:
does work quite well to get you moving

Read it properly please.