BATTLEZONE COMMUNITY FORUMS

Battlezone I & II Download, Gaming & Development
It is currently December 14th, 2017, 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
PostPosted: July 10th, 2012, 10:43 am 

I know this is a bit of a bump, but the thread is stickied, so there. :-P

Anyway I figured I'd post this because I rarely see anyone position their Guardians very well, either because most people still play ISDF or because I just don't pay that much attention to where the commander decided to put his turrets. :roll:

That is my standard early layout for Guardians, regardless of whether or not the two starting turrets are enabled. For simplicity's sake we're going to assume that the starting turrets were enabled, and are now in positions 1 & 2. Before the Kiln is built, those two guardians have no blindspots (unless the enemy manages to perch on top of the Matriarch) and can fire on enemies circling the opposing Guardian. Guardian 2 can also provide partial coverage inside the Kiln/Forge.

When the situation permits, generally around the time I upgrade the Kiln, I build a third Guardian to eliminate the last blindspot inside the Forge. (The entry on the opposite side of Guardian 2.)

Later on in the game if I feel a rec rush is imminent, I give Guardians 1 & 2 EMP Stream, people can't do much damage when they can't fire. :twisted:

After that my layout is less planned out but generally focuses on convenience and openness for optimal fields of fire.

Anyway, I like that layout because it's cheap, fast to set up, effective and doesn't block the rec/fac dropoffs.

"It is not only his right, but his duty...to find the verdict according to his own best understanding, judgment and conscience, though in direct opposition to the direction of the court." - John Adams

PostPosted: July 10th, 2012, 11:33 am 

APCs are evil wrote:

Base layout base layout... just seeing the matriarch&kiln :-P

thats my nick when i type with my dick."
-DubbZ

PostPosted: July 10th, 2012, 11:48 am 
Admin

Scion bases are easier to protect.

You can also get away with having small blind spots most of the time. Most enemies who are coming in for a base hit are doing so with a rudimentary (if any) idea of how the defenses are laid out. This means they will often miss blind spots or only find them once the base defenses have whittled their HP down to yellow or red status -- and those that do find blind spots (providing that they're small enough to restrict maneuverability) become easy targets for any defenders.

However special attention should still be paid to the factory and tech center which have blind spots that are easy to exploit because they're usually in the same place. As well, some attention should be paid to 'secondary blind spots' (e.g.: between a powergen and factory) that allow an attacker to distract the base defenses while giving him a clear line of fire on the recycler.

Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean.
Earn your keep.

PostPosted: July 10th, 2012, 12:03 pm 

APCs are evil wrote:
That is my standard early layout for Guardians

Early as in the first 5-10 minutes or so. Not exactly going to have full tech that fast except in extreme circumstances. :-P

Of course my late game layout generally still has those same Guardians in the same places.

{bac}Zero Angel wrote:
Scion bases are easier to protect.

Tell me about it. I hate trying to defend an ISDF base, so many openings...

"It is not only his right, but his duty...to find the verdict according to his own best understanding, judgment and conscience, though in direct opposition to the direction of the court." - John Adams

PostPosted: July 10th, 2012, 2:18 pm 

APCs are evil wrote:
and can fire on enemies circling the opposing Guardian.

Post discarded.

PostPosted: November 9th, 2013, 1:06 pm 

my small implementation. *(for special fat trolls: I explain it's a joke about maximalism) =)

I record some video explain how it works. Just for fun. :-D

PostPosted: April 9th, 2015, 11:10 pm 

Such an old post....Where are all these players? :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10