BATTLEZONE COMMUNITY FORUMS

Battlezone I & II Download, Gaming & Development
It is currently February 21st, 2018, 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Best gaming laptop?
PostPosted: January 31st, 2018, 11:09 am 

What is currently a good quadcore laptop, for games and video editing? Probably need a new one for the new BZ2 as well.

I've beeb eyeballing these:

ASUS
https://www.amazon.com/GL553VE-Gaming-i ... +i7-7700HQ

Acer
https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-i7 ... 2057441011

Post subject: Re: Best gaming laptop?
PostPosted: February 1st, 2018, 2:55 pm 
Admin

The 2nd on the list is the better of the two (Acer). and cheaper!

Although, I'm not a fan of gaming laptops. Can build the equivalent PC for half the price.

PostPosted: February 1st, 2018, 3:58 pm 

I would suggest this laptop: http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-gp62mvrx-leo ... o-661.html

It has a better graphics card (1060 6GB vs 1050 4GB) for only a little bit more.

@Juggernaut - laptops are more convenient than PCs, as someone who has owned a gaming laptop for years I prefer it over a PC that confines me to one location.

PostPosted: February 1st, 2018, 5:58 pm 
Admin

At Blaed I am fully aware of the portability of laptops lol. If you want to spend double the money for this convenience, have had it. :)

Also, the Acer (2nd link) is better than the link you provided. Your link is the 3GB version of the 1060, the Acer is the 6GB version of the 1060 and $500 cheaper. ;)

PostPosted: February 1st, 2018, 10:03 pm 

I don't really know about the "doube price" stuff. 1500 is not a bad price if we are talking gaming laptop.

i7
256g ssd
1tb hdd
16g ddr4 ram
motherboard
gtx 1060 3gb
case
speakers
microphone
camera
card reader
1080p display
mouse
keyboard
windows 10

Thats a LOT of shit if you try to build it yourself. Furthermore, try building a comp right now, where we are at the peak of GPU and memory prices due to mining - you can get close to 1000, but not WITH peripherals like a monitor, keyboard, mouse AND a $100 copy of windows 10.

With that out of the way, I would recommend the following:

all of these are balls to the wall - decent power, low-noise (relatively speaking), lightweight, etc. etc.:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ND14YAV?ref=emc_b_5_t

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTYBWHF/re ... B01NCOOYYX

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y4GZS9C/re ... B01NCOOYYX

Just know that with a gaming laptop, if you use all of its dumber features like backlighting etc, then you should expect VERY little battery life. You should pretty much assume this thing is just a smaller desktop as you will get 2-3 hours tops before the battery is dead.

edit:
Brands like Alienware (yeah, they've gotten better), Razer, ASUS and to a lesser extent MSI (sorry, their trackpads are terrible) are all great choices to start off with. Do your own research though, as you will want to find something that fits YOUR needs the best for the price.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2018, 12:44 pm 
Admin

You do know, that the mobile equivalent of components are not as fast as the traditional PC counterparts right? (e.g. a GTX 1060 (mobile) runs 20% slower than the desktop variant).
You do know that laptops tend to break faster than desktops and harder to work on, right?
You do know laptops tend to run hotter because of inadequate airflow, right? (especially gaming rigs)
You do know laptops tend to be more expensive spec for spec?
You do know laptops can be a lot harder to upgrade, if at all, right? (most are propitiatory, most you can upgrade is the RAM or SSD)

Consider these points.

If you do most or all of your gaming at home, go with a desktop. If you are a frequent traveler and require portability, the choice is obvious.

The 'double the price' was an exaggeration, but we're looking at 30% less to build (with 30% more performance) a PC vs similar specc'd laptop.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2018, 2:32 pm 

Juggernaut is right about the problems that come with laptop gaming. However if I were to choose out of the list of laptops Sly presented, I would go for the Acer laptop because it has all the necessary specs for most games and the specs for editing, all for a rounded price of $1,000. If you do have future plans on upgrading the PC (Which honestly you don't really need too because it looks pretty "powerful".) then I would go for a pre-built gaming desktop. Also, take it for what it's worth but I am currently studying in I.T if that helps any.

This is just one example of a pre-built gaming desktop: https://www.amazon.com/HP-Flagship-Perf ... ng+desktop

I will say that from what I've experienced, repairs on a laptop do make it a little more difficult but that doesn't mean it cannot be done. If you're up for watching youtube videos and want to have fun, then don't even worry about it. Also if you're worried about air flow with a laptop, you can get a laptop cooling pad which is designed to encourage better air flow and keep your laptop cooler.

Cooler Master Gaming laptop Cooling pad: https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-No ... WDSTDYBRRB

Have fun! :smt006

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2018, 7:24 pm 

I recently talked with Dom, Sly, and Deva about my own PC build.

Altho while I was browsing Pre-built options I saw this: https://store.asus.com/us/item/201712AM200000008/ASUS-ROG-MiniPC-GR8-II-T045Z-VR-Ready-Mini-gaming-PC-Intel-i7%2C-16GB-DDR4%2C-NVIDIA-GTX1060.-1TB-%287200-RPM%29%2C-Windows-10

It could be a good compromise for you sent. It is pretty powerful and its the size of a console. You can move it around with ease. Keep in mind it doesnt come with a monitor, keyboard, or laptop but its not a bad price for the specs you get and its very very small.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2018, 11:03 pm 

Firstly, all of these points are REALLY dumb. Sent started this thread off by saying he wants a gaming LAPTOP. You gave some BS about it costing twice as much. When you were proven WRONG, you then proceeded to provide yet even more IRRELEVANT remarks.
Quote:
You do know, that the mobile equivalent of components are not as fast as the traditional PC counterparts right? (e.g. a GTX 1060 (mobile) runs 20% slower than the desktop variant).

Wrong. The links I posted above have laptops which utilize complete, desktop-grade GPUs.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/08 ... -gtx-1080/

Quote:
You do know that laptops tend to break faster than desktops and harder to work on, right?

Harder to work on, sure.
Break "faster"? - Citation needed

Quote:
You do know laptops tend to run hotter because of inadequate airflow, right? (especially gaming rigs)

High-end gaming laptops can get hot. This is NOT completely due to inadequate airflow though.

Quote:
You do know laptops tend to be more expensive spec for spec?

Citation needed

Quote:
You do know laptops can be a lot harder to upgrade, if at all, right? (most are propitiatory, most you can upgrade is the RAM or SSD)

Most gaming laptops allow for upgrades to memory and storage. No shit they are harder to upgrade other components though.

Quote:
Consider these points.

If you do most or all of your gaming at home, go with a desktop. If you are a frequent traveler and require portability, the choice is obvious.

Quote:
The 'double the price' was an exaggeration, but we're looking at 30% less to build (with 30% more performance) a PC vs similar specc'd laptop.

Please show a $1500 dollar desktop vs a $1500 gaming laptop with FPS breakdown charts of mainstream games so that we can see if these random claims of yours actually hold any weight.

Let's try to stick on topic and actually answer the question the POOR OP asked for in the first place - "whats the best gaming laptop".

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2018, 7:58 am 

Sly wrote:
Quote:

Harder to work on, sure.
Break "faster"? - Citation needed

There is some weight to this - since it's portable a laptop would receive more wear and tear than a stationary machine - but that's down to the way the user treats it and not the machine itself.

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2018, 3:54 pm 

As someone who has worked on the same ASUS laptop for four years and abused the crap out of it with school, travel, work and recording as a sound engineer, it is still running strong and meets all my recording, editing and gaming needs. I plan on upgrading my RAM to 32GB very soon.

Considering the OP asked for a laptop, Sentient - I would suggest checking out Sly's suggestions or checking out places like http://www.xoticpc.com/custom-gaming-la ... 96-98.html. Laptops are no longer greatly inferior choices to desktops, and their portability makes them very handy when you don't want to be confined to your house. They're worth the investment.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2018, 6:58 am 

For the 2400$ price tag of the razer laptop you could buy a gaming laptop and a gaming desktop ;-)
All problems solved?