BATTLEZONE COMMUNITY FORUMS

Battlezone I & II Download, Gaming & Development
It is currently January 19th, 2018, 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: December 8th, 2017, 8:32 am 

Getting back to the topic of particular titles instead of discussing sci-fi themes in general, remember when I first saw gameplay footages of Battlezone 2. It was a Warrior ship, morphing and then using this plasma lance weapon, which looked very much like something quite organic or at least semiorganic, extrapolated from animalistic, oceanic patterns - such as some variation of a manta - right into rather bizarre alien worlds, added with strong notion of higher awareness and higher technological capabilities to it. It indeed seemed very alien, very futuristic, very strange alltogether, but in a definitely fascinating manner. I became inspired with this pattern, the paradigm of "organic cosmic space", defining deep space image and interpreting that way the laws applying in the cosmic sphere.

Just today I came across another title bearing resemblance to the pattern discussed. The title is Reassembly. It seems to be influenced with microbiology and the world of microscopic scale, remains very much valid to my taste nonetheless.

PostPosted: December 8th, 2017, 8:55 am 

Quote:
It indeed seemed very alien, very futuristic, very strange alltogether, but in a definitely fascinating manner. I became inspired with this pattern, the paradigm of "organic cosmic space", defining deep space image and interpreting that way the laws applying in the cosmic sphere.

Someone may point out that in Starcraft there are the Zerg and the Protoss, which are both distinctively alien species, especially with Zerg fitting the pattern of organic cosmic entities, adapted to high degree. That is correct, nonetheless in Starcraft the cosmic space is still an empty hostile void with space rocks floating in it, barely able to sustain any life, save for maybe the extremities, which suggest the species still are far from feeling home in that place. What I talk about is a paradigm redefining the perception of space to the point where it would be impossible really to tell whether this is a microbiological world, an oceanic world, a cosmic void or something sheerly surrealistic, with the last option standing probably as the most accurate description. Perception of species adapted to cosmic space suggest also the change of the image of the cosmic landscape, shifting from hostile desert to something bearable, living and fairly abundant.

When I saw that Warrior ship I mentioned, I understood this is a vision of the future so distant and alien, it is on the margin of our imagination, how much less also probable to be accepted as future of mankind, where the common pattern of humanoid has gone extinct. What I think about is evolution taken further, crossing borders between man and beast, instinct and intellect, organicism and industrialism, as well as between hostile void and habitable lifezone. Cosmic surrealism should be the outcome, a world half dreamlike, half drowned in cold sophisticated war for dominance, embodying the grip of reality.

Last edited by Darkon on December 8th, 2017, 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: December 8th, 2017, 9:15 am 

Quote:
When I saw that Warrior ship I mentioned, I understood this is a vision of the future so distant and alien, it is on the margin of our imagination, how much less also probable to be accepted as future of mankind, where the common pattern of humanoid has gone extinct. What I think about is evolution taken further, crossing borders between man and beast, instinct and intellect, organicism and industrialism, as well as between hostile void and habitable lifezone. Cosmic surrealism should be the outcome, a world half dreamlike, half drowned in cold sophisticated war for dominance, embodying the grip of reality.

To take a quick descriptive shot at it, what is this? This is simply the return of dinosaurs. Cosmic, tech-capable dinosaurs.

PostPosted: December 8th, 2017, 11:28 am 

Quote:
To take a quick descriptive shot at it, what is this? This is simply the return of dinosaurs. Cosmic, tech-capable dinosaurs.

Turning from storydriven puzzlegame concept discussed on earlier pages to the action game on the other hand discussed now, put it together: level of evolution reaching such a high and bizarre state that the universe witnesses factually a biological cosmic dinosaur era, which the epoch is again going to end with some major fireworks, either through at least certain species ascending to fourth spatial dimension or through a major cataclysm brought to happen by greed and lack of balance. There is only one question: is this crazy enough to work?

PostPosted: December 9th, 2017, 9:45 am 

Quote:
Sublevel Zero is a rougelike and a VR oriented thing as of lately, which are both hints that I can skip it for now.

VR technology for entertainment nowadays is still in rapid development, there are few sensible titles out there dedicated solely for the VR experience and I believe we are still most far from seeing the true potential dwelling behind it, so taking how effectively rare and costly VR is presently - while as the saying goes, everything sensible to life is common and economically approachable - I would rather wait until VR spreads wings enough so that it can really allow us to fly.

When it comes to rougelikes - or "rougelites" - although if done right they offer good replayability and some good challenge, they steal away two major factors that most of you are aware that I am quite after. First factor is the story. Rarely any rougelike has any other story than a reason for the adventure to happen, next to lack of any sensible and solid story progression. Second thing is the completability. Everything that has a beginning has an end. If something has a beginning but is devoid of any end, it is incomplete as a project or somehow cheated. Being able to constructively end something gives a sense of completion, which can be rewarding in own way. Even if a game is unnecessarily enjoyed that much, the notion there is an end to be reached possibly in reasonable time, may motivate to pursue further. If goal oriented, one responds to the challenge of reaching an end, but in case of lack of available ending, proceeding may appear purposeless.

Besides, without ability to estimate honest play time, how to reliably evaluate the proper cost of a game? Probably only with development time, but this can be a variable criterium, depending on how many people worked on the project, what are the expectations of income and plentiful other factors. It may eventually end up in a rougelike game matching a twenty hours lasting storybased adventure, with creative contents lacking even to reach five hours of honest playtime, which is actually very probable with repetitive procedurally generated levels in a rougelike, recycling old chops over and over again.

PostPosted: December 9th, 2017, 10:39 pm 

Darkon wrote:
People accuse me of multiposting - or "soloposting" - to the point of turning selected forum sections into blogs. But how to have a constructive discussion otherwise? Fortunately I have me.

We have been seeing around each other on this forum site for some time, therefore I owe you some insight into the case that is to happen now. I have been issued a warning from a forum administrator. Warning pointing me out multiposting and spamming. When it comes to multiposting, I pursue a thread. Do I prohibit anyone to join? Easily, if multiposting suppression is to be upkept, what will be the result of it is silence, since meritorically abundant threads pursued by myself will be pursued by noone. Already they are pursued by noone save for myself, while the primary questions are put open, it is enough to try to answer any of them and I will adjust for the sake of discussion. Another thing is the spamming. So this is what it appears ultimately, just a spam? I would like to point out that the worth of a subject perceived is based on a personal reception of the perceiver, meaning you have of it what you are able to make out of it, nonetheless I do understand "spam" is something unwanted and disturbing, therefore I take it as telling my activity on the forum brings nothing constructive. This is a second warning of this kind I have received, therefore I feel pushed to obeying the laws of the forum, thus I will now take down my avatar of choice and depart, since my presence in this place is unfitting and unwelcome anymore.