BATTLEZONE COMMUNITY FORUMS

Battlezone I & II Download, Gaming & Development
It is currently January 21st, 2018, 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Your best sci-fi games
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2017, 8:59 am 

Post here the sci-fi digital games titles you think are best representative of the genre. You may embed some gameplay vid. Few words description would be nice.

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2017, 8:27 am 

Another topic by Darkon that goes derail from response overflow.

Okay, (1.) Battlezone, but not Battlezone 2. Good example of subtle difference between sci-fi and almost sci-fi. (2.) Currently I play a little puzzler available on HumbleBundle under the title of Solar Flux. Very good display of physics based gameplay, requiring - next to puzzlesolving thinking - timing and precision to beat the deep space relativity themed levels. Solar Flux in many aspects seems strongly linked to a movie I remember, entitled Sunshine [link]. (3.) System Shock 2, for certain. Who does not know System Shock 2? Go correct your mistake.

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2017, 8:51 am 

We do understand more or less what "fiction" is, nonetheless, in "science-fiction", the "science" part plays a crucial role. "Science" are the rules governing the world. "Fiction" is the playground allowing the "science" to unfold the vast potential it contains. The rules of "science" in "science-fiction" are a constructive tool themselves in the hands of a player. The rules governing the world in "science-fiction" provide solid sense notion of fabricated reality. Under such circumstances, one may express firm belief that given actions, employing certain world definitions, will bring repeatable, expected results, according to a well understood process. This understanding, as well as awareness about the nature of aimed result, is what differs science from magic. What is magic? It is science taken wrong. Pure example of magic in the realm of reason is the "cargo cult". The only thing prohibiting "cargo cult" rituals from becoming factual magic is the lack of any measurable outcome, apart from standing as a distinct social phenomenon. There are things, though, which are yet to be recognized about the functioning of the universe we live in - the physical and noetical - as well as many theories describing it to be put to test both in realistic and fictional conditions. In spite of that, even when criteria distingushing possible from the impossible may shift, the distinction between reason and mistake should remain solid. "Science-fiction" means reason in the realm of fiction, therefore is a certain way of thinking applied to a made up world of absurd, changing and familiarizing it.

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2017, 9:40 am 

I would like to recommend Out There: Omega Edition, but I cannot [which means, check it out shortly on Youtube]. Even though on the narrative level the game is excellent - would make a damn good comic style book, both with artstyle and meritorical contents - the gameplay is repetitive, narrowed down, annoying with certain solutions employed, such as massive amount of clicking unamortized with immersion of gameplay, as well as screen fading to black every other while when ending a complex action. It is also unbalanced with rough randomness and has very steep learning curve, made even harder due to natively high difficulty level.

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2017, 11:22 am 

Intellectual capabilities is fluency in associating. Associations can be imagined as certain paths, alleys, leading from one point to another, directly or indirectly. The pedestrian is a highlighted thought process. Some of these alleys are more attended and considered mainstream, some are less known, some yet to be built. This is what determines things we consider normal and understood, things we consider possible, things we consider unlike, also things we would have never considered, unless hinted. Hinting - the stimulus, driving human evolution, is the mystery, which the source of dwells beyond our limits of understanding.

Ultimately, ideally speaking, everything is interconnected. There is a path between any two notions. To depict that, one could imagine a spider web connecting everything in a three dimensional space, such as a room, with each thread of the web containing multiple sidesteps. This web is our knowing, our world, the world of notions. The world existing within our minds. That is why the future form of aware life will remind more of how the Internet works, rather than how the physical body in the material plane does. That is, for example, a connection between a spider insect and an entire universe.

Anyhow, what does this lead up to? There are certain pathways we need to take in order to write ourselves within certain midset, so as to pass without causing paradox to public cognition, alternatively resulting in possible neglection of our claims. In other terms, there are certain groups of notions employed typically together with a central note that correspond together mainstream way, supporting one another synergically. Introduction of too many alien elements, even though undisrupting the overview to those understanding the "theory" as presented, could cause more distant recipients confusion, assuming overly randomized impressions. Even aimed causing of cognitive shock should be done in a controllable manner.

That is why, there are certain "science-fiction" categories, appeals, outlooks, themes, which are easier to be recognized as proper and familiarized, without risk of mistaken prejudgments. These are, usually:
- deep space, cosmic themes and backgrouds
- world elements research, active crafting
- elaborate universe lore and history, sense of depth
- sense of mystery and wonder, allowably horror and fear of unknown
- purpose of expanding: exploration, control, gain
- conflict: man versus man, man versus machine, man versus unknown
- perimeter image of time: moment of revelation, technological breakthrough, survival
- described physics respecting actual or extrapolated existing scientific theories

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2017, 12:32 pm 

For the argue, lets take BZ2 as an example to counter with the presented set of criteria, with me having said the title is "almost" sci-fi:

Quote:

Gameplay is exclusively ground combat, but we could assume it happens on distant moons and planets, instead of being a simulation created on Earth within a big VR room. The sky and shape of landscape signify each time we deal with an alien world, because physics are always the same, which in turn could be interpreted as violation of the following quoted option, nonetheless I would treat most releases - especially the older ones - rather lightly in this light:

Quote:
- described physics respecting actual or extrapolated existing scientific theories

I assume the physics of the universe should in experience remain more or less the same despite even quantum revolution. Unless there are some serious notions telling us the vessels the protagonist pilots work according to different rule. For example, that they sweep through some fourth spatial dimension, manifesting only in the third dimension as a hologram, making them neutral towards all conditions and environmental factors, but with enemy projectiles being able to reach them in the fourth dimension. Albeit I rather opt we not go that far.

Quote:

Most strategy games have tech trees. Red Alert has a tech tree, StarCraft has a tech tree, Battlezone has a tech tree. Is that kind of tech tree researching of world elements or some kind of crafting? I would say this tech tree is simply part of how cannon real time strategy games are defined, but yes, it is a valid way of fulfilling quoted demand, taking meritorical background is right as well. Unnecessarily though all genres have this aspect woven so strongly into their structures.

Quote:

BZ2 does present some lore and has shallow take on depth, so we must give it a point here without being judges about quality.

Quote:

The game opens with discovery of unknown enemy of alien nature, therefore there is fear of unknown.

Quote:

Classic struggle for military control theme. Checked.

Quote:

Man versus unknown turning to man versus man pretension - since "man" means "ours" - of a kind. Anyway, there is conflict.

Quote:
- perimeter image of time: moment of revelation, technological breakthrough, survival

Ultimately it is about survival, with technological breakthrough in the background. Checked.

So it comes out I was mistaken. BZ2 is indeed a sci-fi game.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2017, 12:17 am 

Lets in turn take a look at the Solar Flux in the light of brought criteria, which the title at first glance has everything to do with physical relativity, deep cosmic space, stars and interstellar ships.

Quote:

Definitely checked, more than enough, in very factual, down to the letter sense. Visual backgrounds with steep and dynamic play of light and shadows on the foreground, with layers of stars and cosmic nebulae holding further positions, imbue sense of awe.

Quote:

Solar Flux is a puzzlegame with unfolding difficulty level, gradually introducing new elements along opening of each new chapter, so that each chapter has certain unique theme or mechanism, requiring to be recognized, intellectually researched by the player and outmaneuvered in game terms. Therefore yes, there is research and practical use of research outcomes, done on part of the player, according to the nature of barebones puzzlegames. If to go extreme, one could tell that solely solving crafted riddles is a kind of a research, nonetheless the research - taken as we want to understand it here - has to have a purpose, making it a mean to an end rather than an end itself.

Quote:

Narratively, all we know in Solar Flux is that within certain galaxies there are mysteriously important solar systems in space induced crises that need to be helped out. Since for some reason the protagonist is able to help them and wants to, he does. This is the story or rather, a background idea serving as an excuse for the things to happen. Not much of a story, it seems, but this is also not the main point of a puzzlegame. Since the story factor is checked negative, what about the sense of depth? What is a sense of depth, to take it constructively? Perhaps it is a notion of validity and importance of actions undertaken, the effects of which wave impact on considerable scale? Perhaps it is the subtlety of featured game mechanics, resulting in demand of precision and knowledge in determining the course of actions? Perhaps it is the mutual interference of manifold forces involved, influencing the status of protagonist and impacting his journey through? If all this seems acceptable, the game does bring a sense of depth for the take on physics it has.

Quote:

If anything, I would say: wonder. Solar Flux rides a horse of innate wonder for the deep cosmic space a man has and it does it well for such a simple but neatly done, initially a mobile platform dedicated puzzlegame. There is nothing narratively suggested here or anyhow announced, therefore the option is of personal taste, nonetheless I strongly doubt people without any interest in the cosmic space whatsoever would actually pick this game up. Unless some hardcore puzzlegame fans just for the sake of genre definition.

Quote:

The purpose is control, containment and stabilization. Hard to tell whether it is expanding understood as a conquest, unless if to perceive taming of nature a battle and victory in such struggle as a form of widening the horizons of sapient life, instead of shrinking the space of it.

Quote:

Certainly man versus man it is not. Man versus unknown, also rather negative. It is man versus nature, but could we say it belongs to "man versus machine" category, if we understand nature as a form of it? The antagonist in the game are laws of the universe, which at the same time are used as a tool to fulfill the desired effects. Working forces of physics remind a machine more than the common picture of a flower, nonetheless physics is nature and vice versa, nature of the universe. Did we not call quantum science the quantum mechanics, as if we spoke about building an engine - minding a fundamental force describing material world?

Quote:

Category applicable here is survival.

Quote:

This game excels in given category and deserves recognition for it.

I guess I have managed to snake my way out of the problem and prove Solar Flux is a science-fiction game, which any common sense first glance could tell at hand. But how much of a problem the argumentation was! What would it be if I came to a conclusion the title lacks too many key elements to be considered a proper sci-fi representative? I would call it "physics based puzzlegame with deep space theme". But all these deeply theoretical, artificial hardships and nuances tell us one major thing: abusing of the criteria brought earlier, as much as any other cardboard rules, will get us nowhere efficiently enough, as soon the matter would only be, how farfetched the arguments can become, still appearing acceptable? When the grading factor ought to have had entered, differing what is "more sci-fi", ultimately dependent on subjective taste either way? Nothing works better than intuition when skill is sufficient and I would stick to that.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2017, 4:52 am 

Y'know, I was always wondering, how does it feel emotionally, as an astronaut hanging in the void makes his final thrust and misses the target, ending up drifting away in the blackness of space, with limited oxygen and the image of what he leaped towards becoming smaller and smaller, gradually fading to naught. What are his thoughts? Does he acknowledge defeat and prepare for slow death, does he rage, does he panick, does he still hope? How does it feel to drift towards nothing, being succumbed into darkness, where only death is granted? Thinking about it, I realize Earth full of life and relative safety is almost like a mistake, something so bizarre and unlike, breaking the cosmic silence, that something violent must emerge from this situation.

How far my memory goes, I remember I have always wanted to be a martyr. I dreamt about failure. I wanted to fail, because somehow I felt there is life behind it. Cosmic space must be rich in life, a life which is deeply alien to the one we have on Earth in nature. Life constantly present. Life of another dimension.

EDIT:

Which I admitted right now that I am psychically unstable and have lingering deathwish, making me unsuitable for employment in uniformed services, especially with access to firearms. Trashbin. Next, please.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2017, 8:05 am 

If a black hole in your game does not look like plain anus, somthing must be wrong with your vision of the universe.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2017, 11:04 am 

Have you heard about a game entitled Sublevel Zero? It is available on HumbleBundle as DRM-free. Seems like a good sidestep for Battlezone fans, something in the vein of good old Descent but expanded. Never tried it personally thusfar - the Sublevel Zero - maybe one day. Anyway, anyone?

PostPosted: December 4th, 2017, 1:50 pm 

Darkon wrote:
Have you heard about a game entitled Sublevel Zero? It is available on HumbleBundle as DRM-free. Seems like a good sidestep for Battlezone fans, something in the vein of good old Descent but expanded. Never tried it personally thusfar - the Sublevel Zero - maybe one day. Anyway, anyone?

Reminds me of Forsaken 64.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2017, 11:41 pm 

mase wrote:
Darkon wrote:

Reminds me of Forsaken 64.

I remember Forsaken bigboxed, standing on a shelftop. Never really gave it a chance. But Descent was first in the specific genre. Unfortunately also, Descent did not really grab my attention for too long back in the days. Always preferred footsoldier regular type of FPS, they were simply more vivid, more vibrant to me. Maybe if I would just give the 6-DOF-FPS genre another shot, we could see if anything has changed in the way I receive it. But I am afraid the problem dwells somewhere else. Sublevel Zero for example is simultaneously a rougelike game. Very rarely rougelike games would have any decent story, if any story progression at all, while as I told somewhere here on this forum, the primary value in experience of singleplayer digital game is the experience of an unfolding story, certain narration, meritorical content, that will make the title stay in the personal memory connected with sense of deeper meaning behind it. Not that much of a problem to simply play a game for the sake of playing it and mastering the skill in it, every honest dedication bestows, but the case is, your time is limited and you are the manager deciding what do you want to spend your time on. Other problem with Descent and the line of clones following it is repetetiveness of action and environments. Third problem, claustrophobic tunnels with very often insufficient space and protagonist compromised dynamics, failing to make up for unconventional approach to combat option. Many games share the same problems, but to my perception, they are distinct to the discussed aggregate. I will try to grab the Sublevel Zero on a discount to see whether I am right with these claims I put.