BATTLEZONE COMMUNITY FORUMS

Battlezone I & II Download, Gaming & Development
It is currently November 19th, 2017, 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: September 8th, 2017, 5:50 am 

I still make models and props for the game, but wonder if it's still worth the effort. ](*,)

PostPosted: September 8th, 2017, 8:02 am 

I guess satisfaction is your reward.

PostPosted: September 8th, 2017, 10:38 am 

The Heracles Brigade has several BZ2 projects in progress.

PostPosted: September 8th, 2017, 1:00 pm 

Funny thing is, if BZ2 ever gets remastered, you will instantly face an issue of upgrading your creation to the remastered level.

PostPosted: September 9th, 2017, 2:59 am 

Darkon wrote:
Funny thing is, if BZ2 ever gets remastered, you will instantly face an issue of upgrading your creation to the remastered level.

Seriously, I really hope it is re mastered to a more recent game engine. It has a lot of potential, and adding some more features could go a long way to make BZ fun all over again.

PostPosted: September 9th, 2017, 3:35 pm 

Edgrr wrote:
Seriously, I really hope it is re mastered to a more recent game engine. It has a lot of potential, and adding some more features could go a long way to make BZ fun all over again.

You can't remaster something to a new engine. A remaster is the same game, in the same engine, with improvements. If you change the engine you're looking at a remake, because nearly everything has to be done from scratch.

That aside, a BZ2 remake wouldn't need a new engine. BZ2's existing engine is very powerful.

PostPosted: September 11th, 2017, 3:38 am 

Ded10c wrote:
Edgrr wrote:

You can't remaster something to a new engine. A remaster is the same game, in the same engine, with improvements. If you change the engine you're looking at a remake, because nearly everything has to be done from scratch.

That aside, a BZ2 remake wouldn't need a new engine. BZ2's existing engine is very powerful.

You mean very old, but powerful for it's time? No offense, but It's never really been optimized to any great extent.

Every feature on the current game pales in comparison to most other current game engines from what I've seen so far. The physics are limited to 2d game play. The physics are really horrible even with tweaking.

I'm no expert in such things related to video game development, but BZ's overall performances is sadly very weak.

The source code is not open and makes further development very limited for that reason alone.

I like BZ, but don't see it's current state as sustainable in it's current game engine. Didn't it come out around 2000? That is pretty outdated compared to 2017 based gaming technology.

The model format is now obsolete, and sadly Softimage was abandoned a few years back by Autodesk.

Studio Max no longer supports the BZ format, and modeling software options have not been updated in quite some time sadly.

Re-master verses re-make call it what you like, but abandoning the old game engine would go a long way to making BZ so much better then it is now; pretty much dead sadly?

PostPosted: September 11th, 2017, 11:32 am 

Actually no, I mean very powerful. How powerful an engine is (in game design terms) isn't determined by how well-optimised it is, what model format it uses, or its age. It's determined by how versatile it is, by the variety of things that can be done with it. BZ2's modding scene understands where some of the limits are, but there are other areas where imagination is proving more limiting than the engine itself.

RTS games (and mechanically BZ2 mostly is an RTS game) often use 2D-exclusive pathing (BZ2's physics and gameplay are most certainly not 2D; it's the pathing code that is). If the physics are "horrible, even with tweaking", then you're tweaking them wrong. Without going into too much detail on the physics, almost every variable of the system is exposed and unconstrained. BZ2's physical settings are based on a real model (I forget if its Euclid or Euler, but it's one of the two) and therefore, if you can figure out which variables to use, it's theoretically possible to mimic realistic movement very similar to that of any modern engine.

It might surprise you, but Unreal Engine 4 is very similar to BZ2's. Obviously there are a great many aspects of it that are vastly superior, as is to be expected with what is honestly the best engine on the market right now, but on a fundamental level they're extremely similar. Perhaps the most surprising example is that its terrain system is exclusively 2D too. (Incidentally you might notice that UE4 is open source, but being closed-source doesn't stop engines from developing - the vast majority of games and most game engines are closed-source.)

Changing model format isn't all that difficult, by the way. Nathan would have had the opportunity to do that when 1.3 switched to DirectX9 but he passed it over for a number of very sensible reasons, none of which would apply if the game was getting remastered.

It's also worth bearing in mind how deeply intertwined games and their engines can be. Nowadays the two are kept separate for the most part, which allows game assets to be separated fairly easily and is how things like UE3 and Unity got to be so versatile. Back at the turn of the century, games usually didn't do that. They were one big program, and rarely did one game use the same engine as another. The closest thing to that - Quake is the main culprit here - were usually just very deep total conversion mods.

Finally, remember that building a game from scratch takes two or three years. If you're going to put that sort of effort in, wouldn't you agree it's better to work on something new rather than make a complete replica, from scratch, of something that's already been done?

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2017, 6:51 am 
Admin

Viva la BZ2! This game will outlive most of us. Why?? Because even modern games cannot provide what this game offers. BZ2 has never been very popular, but has and will always have a cult following. BZ2 does not need a new engine, as it continues to evolve even to this day. Save the new engine for BZ3, which we all know will come some day, as dreams really do come true! :X