BATTLEZONE COMMUNITY FORUMS

Battlezone I & II Download, Gaming & Development
It is currently November 24th, 2017, 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Battlezone and Homeworld
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2017, 2:22 am 

The apparent way and speed ships are built in Homeworld suggests similar technology to the one of Battlezone - the biometal waxforging - to be used there, only in terms of deep space conditions. The actual ships in Battlezone are already able to withstand great variety of environmental conditions, from Titan and Europa to Venus, with the Moon conditions being very much simply the deep space ones due to lack of any protective atmosphere, therefore what makes Battlezone stand away from assuming the void as another battlefied?

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2017, 5:29 am 

Both the Homeworld and Battlezone are 3D real time strategy games with certain distinct takes making them unique in the genre. Their time of release is comparable. Due to sheer gameplay formula both the titles are also messy. What I liked in Battlezone, which seems missing in Homeworld - Homeworld2 to be exact, though as much a noob as I am - is the global control function, in Battlezone available through the HUD+hotkeys system. Combined with the functions of navigational points and commands calling to scripted intelligence of units, on small scale level it actually made available what is hard to imagine, which is getting hold of strategic scale from the first person view microperspective, without need of being exactly on spot each time to give orders. When higher number of units appear in Battlezone, the system simply becomes hardly operatable, which is why I think it is good in original Battlezone that there are tight thresholds of units available in all categories, though APCs could be a separate category with even tighter limit.

Homeworld is closer to conventional strategy game perception than Battlezone and is designed to handle extensive battles with multiple units involved, albeit some limits still apply. Similarly to Battlezone, in Homeworld units also have scripted maneuvers they perform during battles, making them look like they take decisions on their own, choosing trajectories outside of player control, which effectively eliminates any micromanagement, making the game to relay on grand level schemes. On the contrary to Battlezone, in Homeworld - due to lack of global control menu - one may miss out certain units produced simply failing to notice them, especially when preferably keeping large scale picture. Also the "six dimensions of freedom" fully rotable "any direction" camera, despite standing as a brilliant cinematic tool, makes it actually harder to navigate through battleground or dynamic fights compared to typical 2D planes we are used to, in particular when aiming to pinpoint a subsystem of a target ship. It simply takes much more effort to do with that kind of camera than in groundbased "four world directions" games, sometimes added with optional zooming.

PostPosted: September 15th, 2017, 11:41 pm 

When it comes to lack of micromanagement in Homeworld, it is only partially true. Micromanagement, as we have learned how it works in precise control strategy games such as Starcraft, is still absent in Homeworld, but there are however certain maneuvers available one could acceptably call micromanagement, which apply to big ships class combating. Big ships include certain modules which can be targeted separately. If done right, a ship devoid of functioning modules is basically just a space rock, perhaps with only bottom line of last resort defence. The same applies to attacking production centres, such as carriers and motherships, in which taking down subsystems responsible for various functions can be a way of making the better of a raid that otherwise poses lesser threat.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2017, 12:38 pm 

Never saw anything similar in any computer game, though the textures and models on the movies seem heavily downgraded, probably due to ridiculous amounts of units on spot - first two~three minutes of each is enough to see:

The second movie contains original Homeworld2 music.

I imagine something like that could be a nice cinematic idea on Karos Graveyard site to those who have played the game.

Here is a very good Vaygr skirmish game played steady pace; one can pick up many hints, since singleplayer game of HW2 is reather stripped down of many essential features, such as even the hyperspace jump or gravity well for regular capital ships:

PostPosted: October 5th, 2017, 6:44 pm 

No one cares dude. Now SHUT UP.

Instead of posting bullshit on forums, why don't you join ts3.kebbz.com and come play with us?

I bet in a month or two you will start owning Tom like me and several others.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2017, 11:13 pm 

Competetive multiplayer games. What is characteristic to them is that when people meet, paternally two players, one of them is going to walk out defeated and considered inferior. The other one will now have to put great effort to manage prestigeous position at least proving to be worthy of belonging to those superb, otherwise ending up good enough at best, which is a kind of waste itself. Myself I lack belief in cooperative games as mostly they miss purpose. Perhaps if they were goal oriented with fixed amount of players required for given types of missions, then. But I need yet to hear of good co-op games without competetive aspect to them. What is a game, if we tried to define it? Game is a challenge undertaken to resolve for the sake of pure enjoyment of doing it. If the enjoyment is lost, if it becomes a pain or an annoyance, a stress or a source of emotional problems, what kind of game is that? It is work which should be the thing for such experiences, my leisure is better to be left alone in that matter.

PostPosted: October 6th, 2017, 1:42 am 

If such things made any further sense, bearing any promise of better quality, next to the idea itself having originated some good ten years ago or something, someone could make a Battlezone mod for Homeworld2, simply moving the conflict to a larger scale. But I believe such solution would do injustice to Battlezone, though there are already Star Trek and couple of other universes brought to Homeworld scope. The case is, what Battlezone ought to be in the future?

PostPosted: October 6th, 2017, 4:40 am 

Wonder how would it look like if to have a six-directions-of-freedom space fighter simulator with Battlezone-like real time strategy approach plus ability to switch vehicles, with spacesuited pilot free run included. Should take quite an engine to handle the physics representative way. Also the global controls system, based on the console-unfortunate hotkeys, ought to be properly smart, since manual locating and targeting stuff could appear troublesome if to want to get precise, next to avoiding the overburden of player with too much of it.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2017, 11:22 pm 

Recently I have come across a small game from Halo universe, namely the Spartan Assault and I need to remark that aesthetically it reminds me greatly of Battlezone 2. Anyone has tried any Halo game before and knows anything about Halo universe?

PostPosted: November 12th, 2017, 2:42 am 

This is what I know about Halo: originally a first person view shooter released on Microsoft XBOX gaming console, which attracted people to the point where they would buy the console solely to play that game of interest, therefore a marketing black horse. Later the franchise developed a real time strategy wing, named Halo Wars. With the rise of mobile gaming popularity, Halo response was the Spartan bundle, which involves the previously mentioned Spartan Assault and the Spartan Strike, which is a sequel held in the same formula of isometric shooter. Halo fandom calls itself the Halo Nation. Even though personally the Halo appeal looks too plastic for myself to feel further want to delve into it, it must be acknowledged the game has earned great fame and magnetized great number of people around the globe. It is easy to spot quickly the main theme of the series is military heroicism served with a thick layer of sugarcoating, therefore nothing too much outstanding, although for certain there are narratorological depths in the storyline to be discovered. Halo skips itself from expanding too much into PC gaming field, standing strong as an XBOX exclusive highlight. To those interested, Halo 5: Forge is available for free. Halo 5 is a first person view shooter. The Forge is originally a map editor, released also on PC for convenience of users. Under the fandom influence, the Microsoft enabled multiplayer on custom created maps for free. Therefore, if someone is willing to download couple of dozen of gigabytes, one can check how Halo 5 looks like. Warning, painfully narrow field of vision, an arena shooter - while I personally prefer preselected equipment - dominated by extremely experienced players.

Last edited by Darkon on November 12th, 2017, 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 12th, 2017, 4:09 am 

Even though it is far from extraordinary nowadays, Halo is recognizable for ability of a protagonist under player control to embark and operate different vehicles and turrets. Also from the very beginning of the franchise, three types of attacks are available parallely, namely the gunfire with various firearms, melee - close combat weapon specific and nonspecific with improvised tools - as well as grenading. Base management is available only in RTS Halo.

PostPosted: November 12th, 2017, 6:54 am 

Darkon wrote:
Anyone has tried any Halo game before and knows anything about Halo universe?

Yep. Can't say Spartan Assault specifically ever reminded me of BZ2, though. Worth mentioning that both games are available on Windows 10, and Assault is also available for the 360 and XB1.

Darkon wrote:
Halo fandom calls itself the Halo Nation.
Not that I've ever seen, it doesn't. "Halo Nation" is the name adopted by halo.wikia.com to further differentiate itself from the other Halo wiki, Halopedia.

Darkon wrote:
It is easy to spot quickly the main theme of the series is military heroicism served with a thick layer of sugarcoating, therefore nothing too much outstanding, although for certain there are narratorological depths in the storyline to be discovered.
"the main theme of the series is military heroicism" is massively oversimplifying things. There's a fair dose of intrigue, a significant amount of politics and a constant cosmic horror undertone. One only has to glance briefly towards ONI, the structure of the Covenant and the nature of the Flood to see those.

Darkon wrote:
Under the fandom influence, the Microsoft enabled multiplayer on custom created maps for free.
Some degree of modding support has always been Bungie's thing, so this is not not so much the doing of the fan community as it is a tradition held from the original developers.