BATTLEZONE COMMUNITY FORUMS

Battlezone I & II Download, Gaming & Development
It is currently December 12th, 2017, 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: November 12th, 2017, 12:09 pm 

Okay, nice.

PostPosted: November 12th, 2017, 3:35 pm 

Ded10c wrote:
"the main theme of the series is military heroicism" is massively oversimplifying things. There's a fair dose of intrigue, a significant amount of politics and a constant cosmic horror undertone. One only has to glance briefly towards ONI, the structure of the Covenant and the nature of the Flood to see those.

Halo, a horror? To me, Halo just by looks is kind of meh, something I have seen of too much in too many variants, particularly nothing special, too smooth, too cosy and shiny armor clean without any better reason to it. What do I mean by "better reason"? Warhammer 40K Space Marines do kind of have a better reason the way I see it, while Halo Spartans I take more as regular uniform and rifle dudes playing heroes in a grand room simulator, be it officially a simulation - like in the Spartan Assault - or in any "really real" scenarios. But I make glancing points, since my knowledge of Halo universe is far from insider one, I just tell how does it look from the outside on my angle.

Regarding horror and having spoken of Homeworld, people call Homeworld Cataclysm the true horror RTS. Currently Homeworld Cataclysm is available only on Good Old Games service under the title of Homeworld Emergence, otherwise in retail if you can find it. The official argument for skipping it from remastering similarly to the original and the sequel - to disappointment of many players - is that the source code has been lost. Soundtrack is quite good:

PostPosted: November 12th, 2017, 4:24 pm 

Truly amazing =D>

PostPosted: November 13th, 2017, 7:57 pm 

Darkon wrote:
Halo, a horror? To me, Halo just by looks is kind of meh, something I have seen of too much in too many variants, particularly nothing special, too smooth, too cosy and shiny armor clean without any better reason to it. What do I mean by "better reason"? Warhammer 40K Space Marines do kind of have a better reason the way I see it, while Halo Spartans I take more as regular uniform and rifle dudes playing heroes in a grand room simulator, be it officially a simulation - like in the Spartan Assault - or in any "really real" scenarios. But I make glancing points, since my knowledge of Halo universe is far from insider one, I just tell how does it look from the outside on my angle.

Such is the nature of cosmic horror. Done well, it's subtle; one actually has to pay attention to notice it, and when you do the fact that it's so pervasive makes it all the more effective. The hallmarks of a good cosmic horror entity are its pervasiveness, that it is largely unknown, and that it is almost entirely insurmountable. The flood meets all of these.

Good horror is not something displayed through grimy and industrial grimdark visuals, but something juxtaposed with cleanliness and efficiency. Warhammer 40k employs elements of cosmic horror, but lacks the subtlety; the warp is well-known, and the dark atmosphere is reflected in every aspect of the franchise's design. Halo looks clean and shiny if you're not paying attention, but scratch the surface and there's an evil lurking there that can never be destroyed, only held back.

PostPosted: November 13th, 2017, 11:21 pm 

Ded10c, I acknowledge your superiority in terms of gamingworld lore, albeit when it comes to Warhammer 40k, it is dark futurefantasy genre and by definition in my sets of categories fantasy and horror exclude one another peremptorily [huh, what a funny word I have found in the online dictionary]. Halo, by all honesty, I know insufficiently to theorize further over it but I have some strange loathing towards it that I would need to overcome perhaps eventually. Maybe some decent core line Halo releases would help, nonetheless forgive me but the Covenant are cosmic pokemons. Is a good horror built on the same ground? To have a horror, one does need to be thoroughly convinced that reality where the horror applies is hermetic and consistent. Consequently, solely the perspective of absolutely solid closed reality binding one to itself is already a good portion of horror itself. That is the vision of a trap, a place without escape.

Last edited by Darkon on November 13th, 2017, 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 13th, 2017, 11:22 pm 

dude weed

PostPosted: November 13th, 2017, 11:34 pm 

Where do these non bz2 playing randos come from

PostPosted: November 14th, 2017, 12:08 am 

I dont know what it is but something about bz2 attracts the weirdest/insane people.

PostPosted: November 14th, 2017, 3:32 am 

It was far before modern philosophy when thinkers stated most people live by unrational principles. It was Heraclitus who wrote that people are mostly confused and alieneted when confronted with formulated reason. It was Marcus Aurelius according to whom if a man turns to wisdom, in ten days one can evolve from an animal to god.

PostPosted: November 14th, 2017, 4:14 am 

All i need to know is whos on the smart end of my fist and it wont be you if you keep jabbering. Ill pop your jaw out.

PostPosted: November 14th, 2017, 10:04 am 

This is simply a disagreement over what constitutes good horror, not what horror is. 40k and Halo both have horror elements, I just believe Halo applies its better because it does so more subtly. Science fiction and fantasy do not inherently preclude horror at all.

Before actually sitting down and playing a Halo game I had a similar opinion of it to you. Forcing yourself past that particular hurdle is worthwhile.

PostPosted: November 14th, 2017, 10:10 am 

Ded10c wrote:
Before actually sitting down and playing a Halo game I had a similar opinion of it to you. Forcing yourself past that particular hurdle is worthwhile.

The first Halo is available secondhand, Halo 2 as well on PC CD, nonetheless perhaps Microsoft will eventually change the policy regarding Halo and the PC remastered releases and something tells me that if one can wait, one should wait, especially that there are enough games to fill the time, while Halo universe is unnecessarily of my top interest at the moment.