BATTLEZONE COMMUNITY FORUMS

Battlezone I & II Download, Gaming & Development
It is currently September 20th, 2017, 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Does Battlezone 2 demand a redux version?
Positive, it does demand visual remastery 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
Negative, it is good enough with modern patches 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
Negative, it is bad looking but proper that way 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6
PostPosted: March 20th, 2017, 12:43 am 

I do imagine visual remastery would look nice on Battlezone 2, speaking outside of money, but definitely the enhanced graphics should be an offable option for those who for some reason prefer to or must play without it. Still, would the game run on lower end computers as a coherent program, taking that current state of Battlezone 2 allows to play on wide range of machines with different settings?

When such things as adjoining the technically updated uberclassic to the 98 Redux were suggested on one forum, I saw the new Battlezone line representative reply the job would become double then, since there would be two games demanding development then. Therefore it seems the poll is proper with the mindset of either the yes or no. Unless Battlezone 2 is an easier job to bring back than the predecessor.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2017, 8:21 am 

Darkon wrote:
Sorry for misspelling the name. I believe then Rebellion hired him for their Battlezone related projects? By the way, what remaster do you talk about, taking it is something else than 98 Redux?
Rebellion didn't hire him specifically, they hired his company. Big Boat Interactive are the developers of Battlezone 98 Redux; that's the only remaster I mentioned in my post.

Snake wrote:
The other half that "play" the game do it for the modding experience.
Maybe let us talk about why we play the game rather than trying to be clever and second-guessing us, hmm?

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2017, 12:28 pm 

Rebs, in case you do a redux version of Battlezone 2, pay attention to the sound, as it suffers some major issues. There seems to be neither option to lower the base facilities sound effects, as well as the narrative voices ought to belong to a different channel.

Basically precise soundscape control should be introduced, while it clearly malfunctions in the wide range with the current version. Most bars seem either too general or irresponsive.

On Battlezone 98 Redux forum there is a thread regarding what would you wish that was updated or fixed in remaster version of Battlezone 2, if it ever sees the light of the day. So perhaps any of you on this forum have any say upon the matter?

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2017, 12:36 pm 

Right now when controlling a group of ten tanks from the Relay Bunker view, instead of clicking where I wanted them to go, I mistakenly told them to bail out. This option seems too slippery - next to Recycle - to be put just like that in range.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2017, 2:49 pm 

Darkon wrote:
Rebs, in case you do a redux version of Battlezone 2, pay attention to the sound, as it suffers some major issues. There seems to be neither option to lower the base facilities sound effects, as well as the narrative voices ought to belong to a different channel.

Double-check the 3D sound option, that causes things like you describe.

Darkon wrote:
Right now when controlling a group of ten tanks from the Relay Bunker view, instead of clicking where I wanted them to go, I mistakenly told them to bail out. This option seems too slippery - next to Recycle - to be put just like that in range.

Probably best to stick to the keyboard for commanding ;)

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2017, 11:59 pm 

I say the soundscape control is in demand of maintenance overall.

Ded10c wrote:
Probably best to stick to the keyboard for commanding

I was in the Satellite View, pointing a place on the screen where I wanted units to go. It is the case of faulty interface. Someone could say that a good player would be watchful of that and avoid such mistakes, similarly to the case of controlling the Scavengers roaming at will instead of holding position having reached ordered destination point. But I say these are the factors that make the gameplay unnecessarily burdened, while it could be made more playerfriendly with just a little more thought invested in design, certainly recommended to be taken into concern in case of remaster version.

Quote:
Besides, Assault Tanks are slow and clumsy, tending to get stuck on environmental obstacles, which is just enfuriating to the player.

I remember in one of the early ISDF missions - the one where eventually a Bomber is assigned to the player, with initial orders to keep at bay and then capture some biometal pool - a solitary AI driven allied Scavenger is deployed certain moment. The Scavenger is to reach the position of a captured biometal pool. The thing is the vehicle - threaded one - often gets stuck in a wall. Once it got stuck so badly that chances it would ever reach the target were doubtful. I tried to ram it to the correct path, but it kept returning to the blind wall as if the destination Nav was placed on top of that wall. That Scavenger almost started to climb the wall. Unfortunately similar happens with all other threaded vehicles and walkers, notably Constructors who often have to maneuver around tight base corridors. Fortunately with the Constructors, the intelligence somehow returns to them once approached by the protagonist. It seems to work just from a certain distance, like triggering on repathing sequence in these units through seeing Commander in person. Rocket Tanks and Assault Tanks getting stuck is another common problem, but typically it is enough to just give them particular waypoints out, which itself is demotivating with how slow these units are. Service Trucks tend to get stuck among base facilities as well, but since they are small and pretty fast, it is easier to get them out.

The wallclimbing Scavenger I mentioned - after making me frustrated enough with the situation, since I realized finishing the mission due to the bug is unlikely - changed the path once I decided to destroy it, ending up with delivering only major damage, what seemed to work like a trigger. Therefore, in any case, there seem to be some strange AI path reconsideration mechanisms, but to call it a proper part of the game or anything beneficial is far from any acceptable. In the remaster, this is a priority thing to take care about.

PostPosted: March 24th, 2017, 12:48 am 

Movement direction marker for the twopart crafts, such as Assault Tank and Atilla Walker, indicating where the forward is. In case of Assault Tank, backwards movement could also have a marker of this kind, perhaps of different shape than the front one, taking Atilla is unavailable to turn head around.

Speaking of Atilla Walker, in Battlezone 2 I was satisfied to see it finally capable of moving, in contrary to the counterparts from the classic Battlezone.

When it comes to my opinion about most science-fiction bipedal or even quadrupedal mechanic walker type units, they look cool but their rationally approached efficiency I doubt. Perhaps some specialized spiderlike light climbers of some sort, slow but precise, but apart from that, especially heavy units, unlikely.