BATTLEZONE COMMUNITY FORUMS

Battlezone I & II Download, Gaming & Development
It is currently April 23rd, 2017, 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Does Battlezone 2 demand a redux version?
Positive, it does demand visual remastery 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
Negative, it is good enough with modern patches 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
Negative, it is bad looking but proper that way 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5
PostPosted: March 15th, 2017, 11:59 pm 

Despite knowing there are only few active members on this forum, still I would like to obtain an opinion from the experienced players appearing here once in a while whether Battlezone 2 would use a visual remastery? To express your opinion, vote and comment.

In case outcome of the poll is positive, it suggests people think Battlezone 2 has graphically aged and demands facelifting. In case the poll outcome is negative, means technical fixing and consistent release on a stable platform should be enough to grant the game publicity it deserves, offering quality still matching expectations of the modern audience.

While the information this thread could provide may appear useful to Rebellion - the legal owner of Battlezone trademark - I ask the question on my own behalf.

PostPosted: March 16th, 2017, 2:44 am 

Did you hear about Homeworld games, a 3D deep space real time strategy, heavily story based? Quite recently there has been a remastered version released. Developers upgraded the visuals - primarily the original production from 1999 benefited on that - but they also moved the original to the interface of the sequel, taking the latter was more praised in given range, though in bigger picture less than the predecessor when it comes to story. There are voices telling Homeworld Remastered is a perfect example of work on remastering.

I am yet to try Homeworld and Homeworld 2, bought it on secondhand CDs for accessible price, also checked the websites telling how to run it - even with improved settings - on modern systems. The original looks quite archaic, though I do it for story and retro experience. The remastered edition looks attractive, albeit the price and machine requirements may be the reason to think twice upon the purchase. This way or the other, Homeworld was entitled the best RTS of 1999.

About Battlezone 2, I voted for "good enough", since first: it will make the game to be re-relased earlier and with better focus on fixes in technical aspects. Second, I do think it is good enough without going for crazy system requrements, anticipated to definitely surpass the ones of 98 Redux.

But yeah, the cyberpunk shining lights are pretty.

PostPosted: March 16th, 2017, 5:23 am 

Mind I said Homeworld Remastered is expensive, but in the range of that money one gets presumably well reintroduced pair of games with updated multiplayer, next to a pair of original games. Compare with Battlezone 98 Redux cost, even with Red Odyssey package included.

Unless Rebellion wants to charge their customers extra for the price they paid purchasing Battlezone licence - which to certain extent is understandable - getting over excessive visual remastering should properly tone the price, if to count mostly for the work done. But perhaps I am being idealistic.

Funny that would be on the first sight, though, if the sequel came to be cheaper than the original.

PostPosted: March 16th, 2017, 10:59 am 

I believe there is certain amount of people who would just want to play the most up to date version of Battlezone 2 on a stable platform and with working multiplayer, receving updates immediately as they arrive without worries about versions incompatibility issues. On the other hand, Battlezone 2 is more likely to capture the attention of new players compared to the 98 Redux, so embettered visuals could help a lot. But still, the game would probably be mostly appreciated by the veterans and they would certainly like to see some technicalities fixed before the sugarcoating.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2017, 10:47 am 
Admin

There is Coxxon's BZ2 Remodeled which is quite good (better visuals), but people have to use the same mod to be able to join each other. http://bzforum.matesfamily.org/viewtopi ... lit=coxxon

It depends on the type of player if they want to play the latest version or not. Vet stratters usually like to stick to older, stable versions w/ VSR, where we are more concerned about gameplay and options vs visuals. I usually like to try all versions, which is why I keep separate installs of BZ2 reflecting each version.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2017, 12:00 pm 

Do you think Battlezone 2 would get enough audience as to make it worth all the work with remastering, save for the sense of personal satisfaction obtained yet at the cost of delaying the release date - making an old thing older - next to creating space for all the new incompatibilities that with high probability would arise? The game looks good enough - to me, okay - and there is a saying which goes one should avoud fixing what works fine. Hard to tell whether it works for you, though. Certainly you are eager to see your favourite game done some modern hocus pocus, but think functionally, I would say. The game is retro, but still rocks the boat. 98 Redux, despite all the sugarcoating, is still retro. More even, it is still Battlezone, which means people who dislike it or find it too hard to play, still do.

Rebellion may estimate veterans to buy and play the re-relased Battlezone 2. But if to address the veterans, what further meaning does it have to visually enhance the game for them? It is the same paradox as with 98 Redux. Veterans - I guess - are all for gameplay, compatibility, technical fixes, improvements and general stability of all sorts. You said it yourself:
Quote:
Vet stratters usually like to stick to older, stable versions w/ VSR, where we are more concerned about gameplay and options vs visuals.

Most of the vets would probably even turn the graphical boost off if it improved their performance. Newgamers, well, they could catch the hook with redux and I believe the numbers would be better than with 98 Redux. But the case is, is it generally worth a damn? What goes around my mind with this one is an idea of an issue caused by something between hyped system requirements, hyped price, difficult gameplay and notion of already established elite game class of players with long history of achievements.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2017, 12:34 pm 

Raveomag - a guy from Rebellion, associated with Battlezone - asked in one discussion why should anyone choose old 1,5 patch original game after 98 Redux has been released. The discussion involved people asking about the uberclassic Battlezone, among others whether should it be added to the Redux, like the classical versions of Homeworld were added to the remastered edition. Rational question it was Raveomag put. But at times there were people still asking about the uberclassic, despite what seems obvious - and "obvious" is the most slippery common term I know. Why is that, how do you think, people asked about pure Battlezone - at least those cunning enough as to get to know the shape of environment? First, price - secondhand uberclassic in most cases costs spare change compared to what is asked with Redux initially. Second, system requirements or technical issues of any kind, including performance cases. One needs quite a decent machine to smoothly run 98 Redux, a game still retro. To depict, perhaps there is a Joe somewhere out there who used to play Battlezone years before, now has learned there is a re-boom for it, but first has to invest some good money to even get to run the Battlezone - happy hello. Third, STEAM, lol. What is undeniably good and the best argument to get 98 Redux, though, is stable multiplayer, improved effort to get technical issues fixed on the developers part, updates instant download, mods and community centre. But do developers have to pour tons of sugar on the screen to produce that, asking sweet money later?

PostPosted: March 19th, 2017, 1:06 pm 

"Raveomag" (it's Revoemag, by the way - "game over" spelt backwards) isn't "a guy from Rebellion". That's Mike Arkin, owner of the company that developed the remaster and producer of Battlezone, Rise of the Black Dogs and Battlezone 98 Redux.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2017, 1:44 pm 

Sorry for misspelling the name. I believe then Rebellion hired him for their Battlezone related projects? By the way, what remaster do you talk about, taking it is something else than 98 Redux?

PostPosted: March 19th, 2017, 8:52 pm 

I dont agree with any of the listed poll options. The people that play this game dont play it for the graphics or visuals but rather the gameplay. The other half that "play" the game do it for the modding experience.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2017, 9:13 pm 

I Picked Option 2 - Updating The Graphics Besides What We've Already Done (Making Textures Nicer And ETC) Would Ruin BZ2 - If BZ2 Had A Full Model/Graphical Overhaul It Wouldn't Be BZ2 Anymore And All Nostalgia Would Be Lost. It's Been Bad Enough That Nathan Ruined Flight In 1.3 - If I Had It My Way Everyone Would Be Playing 1.2 Still.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2017, 11:54 pm 

Snake wrote:
I dont agree with any of the listed poll options. The people that play this game dont play it for the graphics or visuals but rather the gameplay. The other half that "play" the game do it for the modding experience.

The poll addresses the visual aspects of the game, but I see with the quoted statement you would likely represent the "negative" pair of options. On the other hand, Rebellion certainly would use a reason to re-relase the game with proper pageantry, asking better money for the show, which expectedly is also hyped. Bringing Battlezone 2 apparently as it is now, especially after the 98 Redux, would be like admitting a mistake - that visual remastery was unnecessary and tactic needs to be changed. It would feel kind of detached or simplified. But Battlezone and Battlezone 2 are maybe as much tied together as Aliens versus Predator Classic and Aliens versus Predator 2, so even if to break this illusionary continuity, should the franchise be damaged? Besides, what if Redux was verily an overhyped product, both with what it brought and with what it asked? Is there any practical conclusion emerging from that?

When it comes to my opinion, classic Battlezone should be completely rebooted. It would be clear then it is a new game and perhaps a seed for Battlezone 3.