BATTLEZONE COMMUNITY FORUMS

Battlezone I & II Download, Gaming & Development
It is currently March 24th, 2017, 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: March 12th, 2017, 2:55 am 

Being in mission thirteen, in terms of story I must conclude I rate Battlezone II negatively. The form of narration is complicated, overall plot rather cheap and entire feeling of it to myself is that it is cheesy. Besides, I fall short when it comes to detective motiffs, while Battlezone II seems to base on that a lot to try to figure out what happens behind the facade of what is told.

But particularly in mission thirteen, do you think these were the Scions who tricked the other side? Especially that these were them who seemed more surprised with what has happened, starting to shoot with delay compared to the ISDF representation?

PostPosted: March 12th, 2017, 1:42 pm 

Beated the level. Ultimately the story tells the SCION have sent a bomb disguised as their president. Well, appropriate for narrative turns such as jumping into an unstable wormhole after a loose enemy ship, risking the lives of more than just a couple. But, who knows how the future will look like?

PostPosted: March 12th, 2017, 1:57 pm 

Quote:
Beated the level. Ultimately the story tells the SCION have sent a bomb disguised as their president. Well, appropriate for narrative turns such as jumping into an unstable wormhole after a loose enemy ship, risking the lives of more than just a couple. But, who knows how the future will look like?

This was one of the levels I started to doubt whether I would be able to finish on hard difficulty, such as the one on Dark Planet where some hardware was to be defended from enemy attempts to grab it, with a solo vehicle and a Service Truck. Then I knew only in theory how to combine weapons or what to use best, but the roughness of the mission was that the attacks came upon two different points at two different locations, which were both to be held.

When it comes to mission thirteen, just like with "On Thin Ice", I tried a lot of maneuvers in the beginning, such as destroying the Matriarch, but in the end it came out the only sensible way to finish the level was just to get the base going on as soon as possible, survive enemy pressure in the beginning and get the upper hand. Only that in mission thirteen these were Titans and I believe I saw some Maulers once, instead of only Warriors, Sentries and Scouts coming.

Maulers give me creeps.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2017, 2:03 pm 

The AI generally seems to go mad if to harass it even a bit, which after all is good, only it is better to know that such actions are futile without an allied army waiting right behind a corner.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2017, 5:28 pm 

One Of The Largest Collections Of Vaguely Specific Generalizations Related To BZ2 To Date.

Excellent Work :smt006

%%- ~Xohm~ %%-

PostPosted: March 13th, 2017, 4:46 am 

Darkon wrote:

Keep playing. The game explains itself.

I hope you're reading the breif and debreif texts, by the way. You'll need those to make sense of the story.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2017, 7:23 am 

Quote:
I hope you're reading the breif and debreif texts, by the way. You'll need those to make sense of the story.

I do, even though I got little meritoric transfer from what I have experienced with the story thus far. It seems to me pretentious separate space opera cheap bits explaining actionpacked substance they stand as an excuse for, without identity of their own. But perhaps in the end there will be some kind of merging conclusion, bringing all together and making some moderate further sense from it. I just have difficulty feeling the flow with the story in Battlezone II, albeit maybe I tell too early. I just feel meh about it.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2017, 8:46 am 

They'll become increasingly more important as the story progresses. Later missions deliver some major plot elements through them.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2017, 2:14 pm 

Beated the mission where the Aliens theme looking but presumably still living fossil of Scion terrorist leader was to be captured in a king of the hill grab play with the enemy. Looked up some hints on how to beat the stage after couple of failed attempts, but there was something about destroying the enemy Matriarch on ones own with a deafult Sabre equipment. I found lacking in ammo with Superstabber to finalize such endevour in one of the previous stages, how much less now. Anyway, cheated the game a bit with sending just my troops to the destination - crash site, looked nice - which apparently jammed the mechanism of loosing the level due to failing to appear at the place. Borrowed this idea from the hintbook, though. Having secured three upgraded Extractors and building of some defenses, I commanded the resupplied units sent to the crash site from Relay Bunker, at the same time trying to fend off enemy attempts on the base northern front line. Tough level at the beginning, like most of them. Once the strategic upper hand is gained, it goes swiftly. I learned also that in this level the enemy will attack where the ISDF Commander is, instead of trying to recapture their leader at all cost at the crash site. Some force needs to be kept to guard the fossil, especially once it has been picked up by TUG, but mostly the northern part of the base is attacked in the scenario I talk about.

Now, Shebayev appears in the end. How decent, narratively. I sniped that thing right off the bat, though I am aware this is the point where alternative storyline may be chosen - got it from the hints. I will pursue that path later. Shebayev symbolically looks like some inner voice of intuition to the protagonist, telling him to make unpredictable choices. Funny it sounds like Scion overmind at times. Major Manson also rises from the dead, having been declared dead after the Scion treachery incident. It seems the influential officers killed by Scion return to tell how the other side looks like and it unanimously appears their initial allies are the bad ones.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2017, 2:28 pm 

Besides, what is that Bruddock talking about Earth biometal resources if there is wormhole technology around, allowing to travel between entire galaxies?

PostPosted: March 20th, 2017, 2:28 am 

Quote:
I learned also that in this level the enemy will attack where the ISDF Commander is, instead of trying to recapture their leader at all cost at the crash site. Some force needs to be kept to guard the fossil, especially once it has been picked up by TUG, but mostly the northern part of the base is attacked in the scenario I talk about.

The mission would rather be a dead end if all those Maulers and Titans have gone for the crash site.

Quote:
Quote:
Now, Shebayev appears in the end.

Quote:
Major Manson also rises from the dead, having been declared dead after the Scion treachery incident. It seems the influential officers killed by Scion return to tell how the other side looks like and it unanimously appears their initial allies are the bad ones.

But think just how does it look like. First, Scion appears a total threat, battling ISDF soldiers. Then Scion says they want a meeting and under that disguise they sacrifice their leader to bomb the ISDF fregate. Unless it was Bruddock who ordered to bomb the ISDF fregate, which sounds ridiculous despite what else could be told about Bruddock. Having succesfully bombed the fregate and assassinated the ISDF officials visiting the Scion base - save for the protagonist - in an attempt to pursue the declared armistice, it appears from the fregate crashdown a Scion leader emerges alive. Probably as the only survivor, I suppose. So we have a race mission for who grabs the Scion leader shell first. The Scion tries to outrun, then destroy their opponents in that race, but when it seems they are about to perish, they send some thing to convince the ISDF local Commander to just give the claim to them, hopefully also laying their hands on that ISDF Commander himself.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2017, 12:29 pm 

Quote:
Unless it was Bruddock who ordered to bomb the ISDF fregate, which sounds ridiculous despite what else could be told about Bruddock.

Albeit it is apparently strange Bruddock had prepared an emergency Recycler beforehand, getting ready for major trouble with the attempt of armistice. If he knew this attempt will have ended up with a disaster, he must have had something to do with it, simply thinking. On the other hand, if he had been going to attack the Scion base knowing something will have gone wrong and what way, he would have come with mobile forces instead of just a loose solitary Recycler, though stealth matters as well. Roaring force would certainly risk detection. Perhaps yet this is the cunning and forethought of Bruddock that speaks against him right now, casting shadows of suspicion. Who rational doubted the failure of ISDF and Scion agreement? The officials wanted to have their way, so be it. Bruddock acted like a strategist, he prepared an alternative solution, knowing the practical side of the conflict and good that.