BATTLEZONE COMMUNITY FORUMS

Battlezone I & II Download, Gaming & Development
It is currently May 28th, 2017, 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: March 13th, 2017, 4:44 am 

So when can we expect to be able to play this?

PostPosted: March 13th, 2017, 5:51 am 

Quote:
When multitude of units is selected at once, for example in Satellite View - be it a homogenous or heterogenous group, in singleplayer or multiplayer - on the left side of the screen a summary should be displayed, composed of symbols of the types of units selected, as well as numbers attached to these symbols, indicating how many of given kind are included. Non-player-character Crafters have own symbol, but player driven Crafters have a distinct one, in order to be easily selected out if demanded. Left clicking on given symbol allows to lower the amount of units of the type selected, according to the chosen pattern of disincluding. Right clicking unfolds a menu describing given symbol - the menu contains patterns of disincluding: weakest health, highest health, weakest firepower, highest firepower, weakest PSI, highest PSI [temporal]. If all units are equal against the criteria, disinclusion is random.

Holding left mouse button allows for continuous, rapid disinclusion of units according with given criteria, up to complete deletion of unit type from selected agregate.

Ded10c wrote:
So when can we expect to be able to play this?

Is it irony or bitterness? These are more or less cohesive ideas for future Battlezone or Battlezone-inspired release - mind it is unnecessary for it to be under Battlezone trademark - for those willing to put them to use after own interpretation. If to try to be polite, it is enough to ask - here on the forum - or even publicly announce the will to grab these ideas. It will be a game when someone decides to go for it. Now it is loose creativity, but as long as I enjoy it anyhow, I will maybe add something to it.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2017, 6:16 am 

arkon wrote:
Is it irony or bitterness? These are more or less cohesive ideas for future Battlezone or Battlezone-inspired release - mind it is unnecessary for it to be under Battlezone trademark - for those willing to put them to use after own interpretation. If to try to be polite, it is enough to ask - here on the forum - or even publicly announce the will to grab these ideas. It will be a game when someone decides to go for it. Now it is loose creativity, but as long as I enjoy it anyhow, I will maybe add something to it.

Well, no, this is me genuinely asking when we're going to get to play this mod you're designing. Modders have their own ideas to work with and aren't going to run with somebody else's unless it's leagues ahead of anything they've come up with themselves. If you want to see these ideas come to fruition then the best way to make that happen is to do it yourself.

Last edited by Ded10c on March 19th, 2017, 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2017, 6:23 am 

Quote:
Well, no, this is me genuinely asking when we're going to get to play this mod you're designing. Modders have their own ideas to work with and aren't going to run with somebody else's unless it's leagues ahead of anything they've come up with themselves. If you want to see these ideas come to fruition then the best way to make that happen is to do it yourself.

I see what you mean. Do you imagine anyhow planting these ideas into Battlezone II, since I clearly said it is designed for Battlezone III or a separate Battlezone-inspired release? I understand taking the ideas of someone else may feel unlike since creating a game is also the expression of oneself, but putting forth my ideas in this place is also some way of expressing myself. Maybe one day there will be a person likeminded who will stumble across these, interpret them and employ into own production. But until then, this is my fruition, as far as my actual capabilities allow.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2017, 7:57 am 

Quote:
It is as close to digital gamemaking I can presently get, taking my best.

Took this sentence out. Certainly someone could tell if I was really passionate about it, I would just obtain the abilities and knowledge necessary to make a game according to my vision. Maybe I should even hire some semi-indie studio to get the project executed for me according to my design - starting a bussiness - if I was rich or determined enough, that is, which neither is true. But in any case, I think I am just content enough with my current stance or lacking the ambition necessary to get out of my track for the thing.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2017, 11:00 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Addressing the Equipment menu bar, I think it should allow to order the selected units to twinfire chosen weapons.

Quote:
Should twinfiring be allowed at all?

Ultimately, not. If twinfiring would be available, AI should be capable of using it and ought to employ that possibility often. For the player, it would each time take a while to set up the forces to use the tools necessary in a way demanded. Therefore, to remove as many of the gameplay annoyances as possible - there are enough of them already - I say twinfiring or weapon linking should be unavailable. The reason behind it could be Heat issues, resulting in tools quicker overheating when put to action simultaneously. Someone may tell: despite that, I want to give it a try. Well then, this is a game and we need to either give the option to all or to none. I say to none. Fair?

PostPosted: March 13th, 2017, 11:20 am 

There is one particular thing that annoys me when it comes to Scavengers, fixable also for Battlezone II. Namely, the Scavengers often get into trouble scavenging enemy guarded fields. I think if the Scavenger is ordered to move to given position, it should automatically embrace Hold stance and start to scavenge only when ordered to do so. Otherwise, Scavengers can be turned even couple of times to go to safety but they would always attempt to go their way after reaching the place, eventually getting destroyed, leaving scrap pieces, which will lure other Scavengers to danger.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2017, 11:22 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Addressing the Equipment menu bar, I think it should allow to order the selected units to twinfire chosen weapons.

Quote:
Should twinfiring be allowed at all?

Quote:
Ultimately, not. If twinfiring would be available, AI should be capable of using it and ought to employ that possibility often. For the player, it would each time take a while to set up the forces to use the tools necessary in a way demanded. Therefore, to remove as many of the gameplay annoyances as possible - there are enough of them already - I say twinfiring or weapon linking should be unavailable. The reason behind it could be Heat issues, resulting in tools quicker overheating when put to action simultaneously. Someone may tell: despite that, I want to give it a try. Well then, this is a game and we need to either give the option to all or to none. I say to none. Fair?

But maybe like with the PSI, weapon linking available only to the players? Meaning, just like in the actual Battlezone games. After all, the player characters need some edge, they are heroes of the story.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2017, 11:04 am 

I think the "Hunt" or "Patrol" command, known from the first Battlezone game, is very handy. For the future, when activated, it should make the units roam in unfolding spiral movement patterns around the selected Nav beacon or Commander unit, starting at medium length and repeating the cycle when having reached limit distance. Units in Patrol mode are to attack whatever enemy target they find. The order ought to be found useful in maintaining the area more secure with active guards, as well as helpful in unleashing the strike force assaulting enemy base.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2017, 11:16 am 

Darkon wrote:
There is one particular thing that annoys me when it comes to Scavengers, fixable also for Battlezone II. Namely, the Scavengers often get into trouble scavenging enemy guarded fields. I think if the Scavenger is ordered to move to given position, it should automatically embrace Hold stance and start to scavenge only when ordered to do so. Otherwise, Scavengers can be turned even couple of times to go to safety but they would always attempt to go their way after reaching the place, eventually getting destroyed, leaving scrap pieces, which will lure other Scavengers to danger.

All of the units in BZ2 need some form of handling by the player, and that is how it should be.
It should stay in the commanders/players responsibility to handle their units efficiently.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2017, 11:30 am 

Quote:
All of the units in BZ2 need some form of handling by the player, and that is how it should be.
It should stay in the commanders/players responsibility to handle their units efficiently.

So does everything in the game, but unnecessarily each unit in the game behaves like Scavengers. To me, this is beyond discussion, Scavengers should hold position after reaching ordered movement destination and wait for further orders, otherwise they make trouble. That is when they are controlled, otherwise they run wild.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2017, 5:21 am 

Quote:
I think the "Hunt" or "Patrol" command, known from the first Battlezone game, is very handy. For the future, when activated, it should make the units roam in unfolding spiral movement patterns around the selected Nav beacon or Commander unit, starting at medium length and repeating the cycle when having reached limit distance. Units in Patrol mode are to attack whatever enemy target they find. The order ought to be found useful in maintaining the area more secure with active guards, as well as helpful in unleashing the strike force assaulting enemy base.

Unfolding spiral route could be hard to program taking all the terrain obstacles and other units on the path, in pursuit of making it fluent and sensible, but all in all the command should stand for active roaming within certain shorter or longer map range, attacking enemy targets in weapon scope, as well as following selected destination if mobile in defending manner.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next