BATTLEZONE COMMUNITY FORUMS

Battlezone I & II Download, Gaming & Development
It is currently June 22nd, 2017, 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: What is Battlezone 2?
PostPosted: February 26th, 2017, 11:24 am 

Lets say we have a person who has some knowledge on gaming and game genres, knows some classics and bigger new titles. How would you explain to this person what is Battlezone 2? But more important, do you know any good videos, preferably on Youtube, presenting Battlezone 2 gameplay in full capacity and bearable time?

PostPosted: February 26th, 2017, 2:34 pm 
Admin

BZ2 is a hybrid RTS(Real Time Strategy)/FPS, where you build a base, gather resources, command and create MANY groups of units. It has an excellent single player story well worth going through with many mods to choose from (some of which have their own single player/story/missions), many of which are still being developed today. Top down view vs just 3rd or 1st person view can also be done by using the satellite link via relay bunker to give a Starcraft look and feel w/ a full view of the battle field (can command units and build while in this mode also). It has many game modes to choose from, especially if you use VSR, where you can play against human and AI bases at the same time. Strat, deathmatch, MPI, capture the flag, king of the hill etc. are all included.

As far as videos, there are many. You can start by viewing the 26 video playlist on our home page (the intro video covers most game modes, many recorded strats after that). Also do a search for Battlezone 2 on youtube and there are many to choose from.

If you like competition, VSR strat is where it is at! But be forewarned, there is a learning curve and will most likely get dominated unless you stick with your team and follow the commander's orders.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2017, 7:40 pm 

Nice to see a new player.

Out of curiosity, who introduced you to Battlezone 2, or how did you find out about it?

PostPosted: February 27th, 2017, 12:25 am 

I searched Youtube for representative videos of Battlezone, both the original and the sequel and as much as for the Redux some more appealable ones can be found, few really for the Battlezone 2. What I mean is a solid thirty minutes maximum footage showing a real deal actual version gameplay featuring most what it offers, that is vehicle combat, footsoldier combat, sniping, vehicle switching, capturing enemy ships, production configuration, satellite view, use of specials - both in pilot and vehicle mode - as well as constructing, management, forcebuilding, expanding, all with acceptable graphics and preferably on a visually nice map.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2017, 12:41 am 

What brought me to Battlezone 2 is similar to what would make me interested in Aliens versus Predator 2 nowadays if I had yet to try it. There is a game - a reintroduced retro product - with a dedicated forum, but the flood of people constantly asking about re-release of the sequel, telling how important the sequel was to them, just makes one to wonder what is it in that sequel making it so special. Sometimes it works, sometimes not with me, but I guess with Battlezone 2 somehow it has gotten to me. But Battlezone series in general is a difficult play, only the multiaspectedness combined with simultaneousness of the action is enough to make certain categories of players say this is too much. The game is complicated, as well as sometimes messy only due to the formula, especially from the first person view. It is also very much a freestyle game, transgressing certain very strict divisions, which itself is confusing. Some good will or courage is needed to give it a try and think one can be good at it, as multiple skills need to be developed, which typically belong to very different kinds of digital entertainment, such as grand strategy and fast paced shooters.

Quote:
The game is complicated, as well as sometimes messy only due to the formula, especially from the first person view.

That is why I think one base led by couple of players, some responsible for attack, some for defense, is a more handy solution, though for the very skilled, this could be a hindrance. So perhaps 3 v 1?

PostPosted: February 27th, 2017, 6:46 am 

If I had to summarize what Battlezone II looks like to me, it is Unreal meets Starcraft meet System Shock 2, all addressed reliably.

EDIT:

Umm, meet Grand Theft Auto meet Battletanx?

Last edited by Darkon on February 27th, 2017, 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2017, 1:11 pm 

meet Descent.

PostPosted: March 5th, 2017, 7:14 am 

meet Quake 2.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2017, 8:42 am 

Quote:
Being in mission thirteen, in terms of story I must conclude I rate Battlezone II negatively. The form of narration is complicated, overall plot rather cheap and entire feeling of it to myself is that it is cheesy. Besides, I fall short when it comes to detective motiffs, while Battlezone II seems to base on that a lot to try to figure out what happens behind the facade of what is told.

Even though the gameplay has thumbs up - despite the formula being messy at times - the visuals have thumbs up, the audio has vague thumbs up, excused by the age of the product and amount of patches on it. The multiplayer has thumbs up due to the fact of being still alive, also the game concept has thumbs up, as long as we distinguish the concept from the story and story induced markings.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2017, 10:50 am 

In ten grade scale, I would nowadays rank Battlezone 2 as seven out of ten or eight out of ten worth game, according to the following descriptions:

10/10: complete masterpiece, friendly to all players, recommendable for everyone.

9/10: masterpiece in a niche, recommendable to all familiar with the style or responding to the type of contents the game serves, unnecessarily to all.

8/10: very good game with a specific target audience, demanding a bit of favourable approach to be fully appreciated.

7/10: good game, with high possibility containing minor flaws or overly difficult parts, which may get heavy on loose recipients.

6/10: good as a give a try type of play, but unnecessarily on the longer run. Score oftentimes given to retro nostalgia purchases, but also games with good potential, partially fulfilled.

5/10: borderline grade, meaning the product is still acceptable but sometimes at this point an overall negative vote may appear. All the scores above 5/10 include thumbs up only. The 5/10 may address games with big potential, fulfilled in disappointing measure or retro releases which mismatch commonday expectations, also games overly difficult to learn for newcomers, demanding too much of a good will in approach to be practically accessible. Below 5/10 are thumbs down granted.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2017, 12:42 pm 

Unfortunately the units in Battlezone 2 act very numb as for a strategy game - properly maybe as FPS NPCs. In larger battles it is problematic.

Last edited by Darkon on March 22nd, 2017, 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2017, 12:57 pm 

What is a real shame is that the game lacks attack-and-move order, which basically makes it to meet Dune 2 and Warcraft from the early nineties of the twentieth century - the early launch of RTS genre.