BATTLEZONE COMMUNITY FORUMS

Battlezone I & II Download, Gaming & Development
It is currently November 18th, 2017, 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 2016 Narrative
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2016, 11:39 pm 

m0rt walked into BZPub with the world on his wings and a frown on his face.

The bar was full to bursting, as it had been every night since VSR 5.0 was released. Players from the top-tier congregated in nightly revelry, celebrating their supremacy. Hopeful newcomers lingered on the fringes of more elite conversations, chiming in every once in a while for the amusement of their betters. And of course, the Lords themselves always took center stage, leading the party with the effortless charisma of unmatchable skill.

In formats past, such bars had illuminated Bitchzone's every corner—but times had changed since the last release of VSR, and changed again with the release of VSR 5.1. These days, there was only one bar, and one center-stage group. It was to them that m0rt headed, sidestepping a gaggle of Blade Bros and pointedly avoiding a table of sneering Matesmonkeys.

Even the jeers of tier-two players couldn't faze him tonight; he was too anxious to pay them any mind. He had an important mission, which of course meant that he had to forge the results. Sure, he'd been delayed more than usual, but he was confident that that wouldn't matter once he presented his information. The question was whether his ploy would finally work.

This could be it, he thought. With this, we might finally be free.

So preoccupied was he with his thoughts that he did not notice the figure that walked beside him until she landed straight in his path, her signature hands-on-hips pose framed by snow-white wings and waist-length aquamarine hair.

m0rt took off his mask and grinned sheepishly. "Hey, Lumi."

"Don't Hey, Lumi me," Luminess said. "This is the third time."

m0rt looked into one of the only faces in this Lucifer-forsaken tavern that still gave him joy—and found genuine annoyance in those green eyes.

"The third time," Luminess went on, "that I have been forced to sit with your friend to discuss politics and microbiology while you were out doing who-knows-what."

"Oh, Lumi, I'm sorry," m0rt said. A "conversation" with Sly on science was a fate he wouldn't wish on his worst foe. DDoSing was more of a mercy.

Lumi sighed dramatically, and the usual smile returned to her face. "I know, I know. You were on a top-secret—"

"—mission for the dickhead," m0rt finished, smiling with her. "Walk with me?"

"Oh, I was just leaving," she said. "Dickhead was pissed at something or another, and he wouldn't let any of the core players leave. I told him I needed to sleep early tonight to stay in top form."

m0rt raised his eyebrows. "And he bought that?"

"Hey, I'm not one of his precious lieutenants," said Lumi, sticking out her tongue. "I'm just a tier-4, to be used and discarded. He couldn't give less of a shit if he was constipated."

"Great image, Lumi. Great, great image."

"It's a gift."

"I wonder why he's mad," m0rt mused, glancing toward the back of the bar where the boss's study was located.

To his surprise, the door was open, and through it, m0rt could see their boss at the back of the wide room, reclining on his throne of resplendent gold and silver. As always, Vearie was decked out in all his gaudy-armored glory, displaying on his person half—if not more—of their team's earnings.

Disgusting.

As if stirred by the heat of his underling's gaze, the boss looked up from whatever suspect substance he was snorting and stared directly into m0rt's eyes. The message was clear.

"Vearie," m0rt swore. "He's mad at me. I gotta—"

"Yeah," Lumi said quickly. "Go."

"Yeah," m0rt echoed. "Hey, let's hang out tomorrow, okay? Without Purplehaze."

"Mhm," his best friend murmured. "I was actually going to bed anyway. Just...don't keep him waiting. Go. Now."

He went.

As he walked, he could feel more eyes on him, appraising him and judging him to be despicable. He couldn't blame them, but he couldn't pay them any mind, either. Not with all that was riding on the upcoming confrontation.
True to Lumis' word, m0rt found the rest of their teammates gathered in the expansive study, hidden in the shadow of their leader's light. m0rt closed the door as he entered, reflecting on the state of their playerbase. They were a sorry bunch on the best of days, but tonight, with their leader so angry, they seemed especially subdued.

SuspicousOne and Userper, fresh off the intern team and usually causing a racket outside, sat closest to the door at a wooden desk. They were murmuring between themselves, apparently intently focused on a set of musical scores—probably for DJ's next gig. m0rt could see their eyes shifting between him and the boss as he walked by them.
The other Vearidons and the tier-4's lounged on the wide, Haeden-skin carpet, in various poses of unabashed boredom. Muffin lay supine, spinning his yoyo idly and casting arcs of golden sparks behind it in vulgar shapes. Feared_1 was proving his nickname with loud snores from his perch on the ceiling. Fulmen was halfheartedly darting across the floor and flitting his tongue toward a terrified Tsahalis and an indignant datguy. And Manslayer was in his usual position, leaning against the team's trophy cabinet with his nose in a book. Normally, Lumi sat beside him, but she had been lucky enough to go free tonight.
m0rt walked farther into the room—he never failed to marvel disgustedly at how it almost matched the bar in size—and saw the Vearidons huddling around their leader's desk. Sly sat completely still, watching him with dead eyes as he approached them.

This is the team that's taken the entire meta by storm, m0rt thought bitterly. And they're more broken than any of their opponents.

His insides churning with hatred, he fixed a confident smile on his face and approached their leader.
Purplehaze sat in his spot on Vearie's left, but as his senior approached, he excused himself and walked briskly away.

Just as well.

At some point, m0rt would have to get around to investigating his underling's undoubtedly illegitimate pastimes, but for now, it was all he could do to keep him from bothering Lumi while not upsetting the boss. Purplehaze was, after all, his favorite subordinate. And m0rt, it appeared, was his least favorite right then.

"You're late, retard," Vearie rumbled.

"Sorry, boss," m0rt said, taking his seat on the leader's right side. "I was held up near LoC town."

"You weren't meeting up with your old bitch, were you?" Vearie demanded. "I told you, m0rty, I don't want you fucking around. Not when you have shit to do, and a sweet piece of ass waiting for you when you get back." The boss turned a malicious eye toward Purplehaze, who returned his gaze with sickening indifference.

m0rt watched the exchange with unwavering eyes and an unchanging expression, his mind whirling all the while. Most everyone knew that he was one of the youngest and most feared fighters in every MPI since his induction to the Vearidons. Few realized that he had obtained this reputation through a combination of brute force (good genes), an untold destiny (sheer luck), and a control over his emotions that could withstand Sentient himself (boredom, and later, trauma). Even so, there existed three individuals in BZcity (and one in GEL town) who knew him well enough to know that he favored his right hand, and that he instinctively tensed it when he felt threatened. Were any of those individuals present at this moment, they might have warned Vearie that his subordinate was holding himself back from committing a cruel and unrepentant murder.

Instead, he simply looked down in deference and said, "No, boss. I haven't spoken to Kronic since you last sent me to extract information from him."

"Good boy," Vearie said. "But still. Mind explaining to me why in the name of Ra's almighty cock you were late?"

"Bad luck," m0rt said. "They were changing their guard right as I tried to slip by them into Snake's mansion."

Vearie nodded. "But you got what I sent you for," he said, with the conviction of a master who knew his servant would not dare approach him otherwise.

"Of course," m0rt said. He reached into a hidden fold in his armor and pulled out two gold-encrusted scrolls. "These are the full briefs on Tom's troops, as well as reports that confirm some rumors we had heard about their abilities, and add upon others."

And they neglect to leave out the effects of fighting in their Dominion, but you'll find that out eventually.

"Oh, yeah!" his boss exulted, reaching out and sweeping the documents into his arms. All traces of his earlier disfavor appeared to have vanished. "Nice work, m0rty. Go have a few drinks, on the house."

"Thanks, boss," he said, and walked past his teammates without looking back.

To be continued.........

Post subject: Re: 2016 Narrative
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2016, 6:07 am 

Always enjoy these. Remember laughing my ass off to that one video that talked about lobbying by multiple jesters and not knowing how it would affect the bz2 peasantry =D>

This was actually really engaging. You are getting better at writing lol

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2016, 8:01 am 

Excellence As Usual Dejan ;)

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2016, 12:59 pm 

actually well-written Snake, nice job.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2016, 5:12 am 

couldnt figure wtf it was about but i liked it

gr8 m8

PostPosted: February 24th, 2016, 10:16 am 

Impressive writing skills. Best part was being called a gaggle :-D Snake should write a book! Haha

PostPosted: February 28th, 2016, 5:11 pm 

Purplehaze approached him from the shadows as he walked away.

"Well isn't this a surprise," m0rt said. "I thought you might have forgotten that I existed."

"It's not like that," Purplehaze began to protest.

"Well it certainly seems 'like that,'" he said. "Maybe try and not seem like you're hiding something? Even though we both know that you are."

m0rt couldn't tell if his underling's glare was directed at him or the LoCs blocking their path. "You wouldn't understand," the younger murmured, sidestepping a cackling Ahadley.

"You mean I wouldn't approve," m0rt said.

Purplehaze stopped walking. "You really want to do this now?"

m0rt sighed. "No."

He was too tired for this. Breaking into a maximum-security mansion took more effort than normal people spent in a week. Having a straightforward conversation with his underling took ten times that.

Purplehaze smiled. "Good. It's just a little project, I swear." Then, with a laugh, "For a second there, you were starting to sound like Lumi."

This time, it was m0rt who stopped. Icy hands gripped his heart as he turned back to his underling with fire in his eyes.

"m0rt," Purplehaze said, and he really seemed apologetic. "I didn't mean to—"

"Never mind," m0rt said hoarsely. "It's been months; I know you didn't—just—never mind."

They went back to weaving their way through the crowd, this time in silence, though m0rt's mind was racing for the second time in as many minutes. Was his underling really so clueless? Did he not understand the pain his little outburst had just caused? For most people, the fact that Purplehaze always got his way was palatable due to his eccentricity and genius. m0rt had always had his doubts, but who in their right mind would call their underling a master manipulator? Someone who was jealous, that was who. And most of the time, he and Purplehaze got along better than Fireblade and his brother, Blade. It wasn't as though his underling was evil—just...cruelly ignorant.

Or maybe just cruel.

m0rt shook off his paranoia and found that they had reached the bar. He sat down next to Purplehaze, and they began the time-honored process of trying to distract the bartender from her phone long enough for her to get them their drinks.

"Sora," m0rt called.

"Hey, Sora," Purplehaze followed.

"Soraaa."

"Sora, it's us."

"Sora, we have money."

"Sora, we want alcohol."

"Sora, come on."

"Don't let us down, Sora."

The blonde just kept tapping away at her phone, a slight smile on her face.

"She's noticed us," Purplehaze stage-whispered.

"Now's the part where she notices that we noticed her noticing us," m0rt said.

Soraiah continued to tap blissfully.

"Okay, that does it," m0rt said, "Soraiah Girl, I want my drink, and I want itholyDom!"

For Soraiah had immediately thrown her phone at his face, then pulled it back on its chain a second before it hit his nose. Now she regarded them with all the fury of a woman scorned.

"Don't," she hissed, jabbing a petite finger in his face, "you ever call me that again."

"Aw, but you get so cute when you're angry," Purplehaze teased.

"What do you want, worms."

"Now that's just mean," m0rt said with a mock pout.

For a single moment, everything felt right. Everything felt the way it did back before he had come to BZcity, before Lucifer had become the monster he was. So of course, the world had to send m0rt another reminder that his life was hell.

"I can get meaner if you like," Soraiah said, leaning forward suggestively, "and I hear that you do."

Purplehaze's head snapped toward his master, but m0rt's expression hadn't changed.

Even so, Soraiah noticed. "Are jokes about your sex life suddenly off the table?" she said cautiously.

"No," Purplehaze backpedaled. "He's just—"

"No," m0rt said blandly. "Purplehaze is just a prude."

"I wouldn't have guessed," Soraiah deadpanned, and just like that, the cheer was back between them.
It was that easy. Of course it was. For all that he told himself he feared his underling's malice, it was m0rt who could change his persona at the drop of a hat. And it was Purplehaze who was truly so clueless that he hadn't realized his reaction was the wrong one. Purplehaze, who even earlier tonight had made an effort, however misguided, to be friendly with Lumi like m0rt wanted him to be. There wasn't anyone Purplehaze would talk to as freely as Soraiah, and now m0rt was mentally begrudging him that for an honest mistake.

Instead of sparing another second to wonder just how much of a hypocrite he was, m0rt fixed a smile on his face and said, "Jackal Daniels sounds nice right about now."

"And I'll have a Xerrakis Champagne," his underling said.

"Put it on the tab," m0rt added.

"I'll be right with you," Soraiah said, twirling her phone-chain as she walked away.

"Well that was awkward."

m0rt turned to find Muffin leaning on a chair, twirling his yoyo.

"Mind if I join you?" the sorcerer said, grinning as he joined them.

Purplehaze immediately folded his wings in on himself and sat still. Muffin barely acknowledged the motion, so used was he to Purplehaze's shyness. Instead, he turned to m0rt with a familiarly devious smile.
"So since you're the reason we all got held up in there..."

"I'm not sharing this time," m0rt said. "Get your own drink while she's up."

"Fine, dick. Hey, Sora!" Muffin called. "Get me a Wine-Up Lancer, and put it on this ingrate's tab!"

"You don't want to do that," m0rt warned. "It's the boss's tab tonight."

"Eh, what's he gonna do, replace me?" Muffin laughed. "Make it a Party Boat, Sora!"

"Come make it yourself, muggle!"

Muffin laughed heartily. "Isn't she the sweetest little thing?" He didn't notice Purplehaze's glare.
Neither did m0rt, preoccupied as he was with their companion's irreverence. It was a quality he yearned for, but not one he could spare to exercise. Not with the price set on his defiance.

"So, m0rt, what's been happening?" Muffin said, drumming his fingers on the counter. "Any exciting leads you feel like sharing with us?"

"Same old, same old," said m0rt. "You know how it is. One SEK comes, another SEK goes, and all the while Domakus is trying to convince us he can make a comeback."

Muffin gave another carefree laugh at that, and the conversation devolved soon afterward into complaints about their workloads and good-natured backbiting of their competition, such as it was. Eventually, Soraiah returned with their drinks, and soon after that, Purplehaze retired to his quarters. Muffin stuck around a little longer, but eventually, he too decided to go to sleep. "Early to bed and early to rise," he said sagely, before shaking his head and walking away. m0rt sat alone for all of three seconds before Muffin's chair was taken by a group of chattering matesmonkeys.

As the hours passed, teammates and competitors alike dropped in and out of the bar, but m0rt had no interest in speaking to any of them; they either hated him as the bringer of their crushing defeat, or he pitied them as their teammate. He did eventually get sucked into a conversation with Xohm and GreenGuy, but that quickly got far too serious for his liking, and so it was a mercy when, at twenty minutes to midnight, m0rt finally sat alone. He was weighing the pros and cons of buying a fourth drink when Lumi slid into the seat to his left.

"God, I thought they'd never leave," she said.

"And I thought you were asleep," m0rt retorted, turning to face her with a smile.

"Don't you know that justice never sleeps?" she said, flaring her angelic wings.

"No wonder justice always has bags under her eyes," he teased.

"I don't have bags under my eyes!"

Two glasses of Wine-Up suddenly appeared in front of them.

"You're a saint, Sora," Lumi said. "Put it on—"

"m0rt's tab, yeah," the bartender said with a smirk.

m0rt laughed and turned back to his friend. "So why aren't you asleep?" he asked.

"I was worried about you," Lumi said earnestly. "Boss being all mad and such."

"Eh, it was nothing. He just wanted to know why I was late. Told him I got caught up near LoC town."

Lumi coughed, spraying beer all over the counter.

"Hey, watch it!" Soraiah called.

"You okay?" m0rt asked.

"Yeah," Lumi said. "Sorry. Sorry, Sora! I'll wipe it up! So...so, LoC town, huh?"

"Yep," he said shortly. "LoC town. Guard change." And that was that.
He didn't want to hurt her feelings, but he wanted this conversation even less. Even Purplehaze had noticed Lumi's attraction to him early on. m0rt had known from the start that they could be nothing but friends but Lumi clearly did not share his opinion.
He sent a careful glance her way and found her wiping the table with a cloth she'd produced from who-knew-where, with tears in her eyes.

This won't end well.

If he never saw a woman again, he mused, he would...well, he would probably be stuck with Purplehaze and Muffin all day. No, scratch that—Muffin would never go for the celibate life. So just Purplehaze, then. "I heard {bac} are doing well this season," he said slowly.

Lumi didn't say anything, but continued to wipe the table with increasing vigor.

"Lumi..."

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!"

If he hadn't known that Lumi was watching him out of the corner of her eye, he would have sighed his relief. The midnight performance could not have been more well-timed.

"ARE YOU READY TO PEPEPEPEPARTYYYYY!!"

All hope for conversation was lost as the audience began to cheer and DJ's theme music began to play. The competition for seats was such that the bar had been emptying out for the past half hour, and the stage was almost invisible from where m0rt sat.

"I AM YOUR HOST, DJ KINGPIN! AND THIS! IS! MY! BATTLEZOOOOONE!"

"Lumi, listen," m0rt yelled above the raving crowd and pounding music. "I really—"

"I think I'll go," Lumi said, not bothering anymore to hide her distress. "I should have gone to sleep when I said I would."
He watched her go and knew he could say so much to have her stay...but no, that was as bad as not having her at all. He would not abide any more facades in his life.

"TONIGHT, I HAVE WITH ME MY SPICY-HOT TEAMMATE, 420BLAZEIT XOHM!"

Yes, m0rt decided. He would rather lose than pretend to win.

"AND OUR LORD AND MASTER, THE LEADER HIMSELF, CONQUEROR OF A THOUSAND DONS AND PROVIDER OF BZCITY'S BEST PRODUCT! PLEASE WELCOME! VEARIE!"

And that was the clincher, really. Because above all, m0rt knew that, given the choice, he would choose victory no matter the cost.

To be continued...

Last edited by Snake on February 29th, 2016, 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 29th, 2016, 3:34 am 

I have no idea where I am or why I am cackling, but I think I approve.

PostPosted: February 29th, 2016, 7:43 pm 

Holy shit, I finally realize why those deviantart people read fanfictions and stuff. I had a smirk on my face the entire time I read this. The imagery was sublime, the conversations flowed naturally, and did not seem forced for the characters they were bound to, and finally, the story was one that seemed to dance between fiction and the funny, real-life drama that goes on in BZ2. Good job again.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2016, 11:41 am 

I think the best part was having the chair near mort be taken by a bunch of matesmonkeys. Can't forget the cackling AHads either.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2016, 7:11 pm 

420 blaze it <3

PostPosted: September 6th, 2016, 2:41 pm 

Lol...

=D> :roll: :roll: =D>