BATTLEZONE COMMUNITY FORUMS

Battlezone I & II Download, Gaming & Development
It is currently September 24th, 2017, 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Shenanigans
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2015, 5:38 pm 

Been experimenting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3ctMJoxYSY

There's a few videos on my channel now. Mostly just a learning exercise for C++, hence all the placeholder assets and ugly map/Hud etc,. Don't expect a full title or anything, I'm just working on it in spare time as a hobby project. I'd at least like to get the full hover-tank combat in there though, probably be looking for some player feedback on the physics at some point.

Speaking of which, physics are getting pretty close, still not 100% though. I figure I'd post this here since some of you might be interested to follow it and see what happens.

EDIT: Also 250 posts lolwat.

Post subject: Re: Shenanigans
PostPosted: April 5th, 2015, 2:37 pm 

Dude, I've seen your stuff. Really cool. You should totally make a UE4 version of BZ :p

PostPosted: April 6th, 2015, 12:34 am 

all it needs now is to give the pilot the AWP sniper rifle from CSS an bam...its done lol

very good work mate

PostPosted: April 12th, 2015, 12:59 pm 

This is gold, man. Keep up the good work.

PostPosted: November 20th, 2016, 5:20 pm 

Thought I'd let y'all know I've done a fair chunk of work on this since that video. There's a playlist on my channel, but things quickly get out of date.

This is a pet-project / prototype at the moment, but I own & run a game studio - and we're considering bringing this into the fold in the new year as our next production title. Of course we'd have to steer away from an BZ IP - but the basis for a spiritual successor is there.

PostPosted: November 20th, 2016, 5:42 pm 

WOW. I've been following your work closely and just have to say that I hope this does indeed become something. This game is desperately in need of an overhaul of this magnitude - you guys could possibly strike the jackpot as this game could quickly become very popular for its high end graphics and hybrid shooter strategy (if you plan on taking it that far). Keep it up, two thumbs up from me! :ymapplause:

Voice-overs and ambient audio are my specialty so if this ever becomes something, I'd love to help :D

PostPosted: November 20th, 2016, 6:20 pm 

it reminds me of the pic of the guy who is using his hands to stretch open asshole ahaha very nasty i like it

PostPosted: November 21st, 2016, 6:19 am 

Lol.. still the same old around here then ;)

@Blaedicus - Thanks. There's not really much to show since the focus for me has been on code not art / audio, but whatever comes out of it in the end won't be a Battlezone game, but certainly something along the same lines. Trying different ideas and prototyping stuff at the moment. If we brought this in, the aim would be to have a playable alpha by the end of next year - with dedicated servers.

The aim for me is making the game focus heavily on the vehicle combat, making it both fun and immensely gratifying for those who put the time in to develop the l33tskillz. BZ has a very arcade feel that I want to step away from, and instead make the combat grittier and more intense. Dogfights are cool, but aside from the opening fight in a strat game or random encounters in deathmatch they don't happen very often and there isn't a lot of strategy involved. Tanks are going to feel heavier and more powerful, and people are going to explode into chunks of casserole when you put an anti-tank shell through them.

The other elephant in the room is the RTS element. I want some kind of strategy-like gamemode eventually, but it has to keep up the pace. RTS games typically have a slow rolling gameplay, BZ is no exception with it's serial resource collection and expensive units. Some of the newer MOBA's have some good design ideas that keep gameplay flowing, taking some leaves from that tree might be useful. The unit cap will also be much lower than BZ's, you won't be seeing 100 vs 100 online battles.

Do have a SICK idea for a deathmatch style mode though, which is going to be the first prototype... and a co-op online mode too. IDK, watch this space - if we secure some funding for next year, this is the next big thing for us. It's still early days.

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2016, 12:23 am 

its suck u can see inside anus

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2016, 10:45 pm 
Admin

@TheJamsh. This is a TEASE!! We want BZ3 and we want it now!! Quit your day job and get crackin', because if you don't, Vearie will continue to talk about his anus. Respectfully though, good work! I love the look and effects, but we need the mechanics to work and have it playable. Most all here only care about strat. I know it is easier said than done, yet, recruit some talent to help you along. There is plenty of talent to go around here which includes vearie. Just don't let him break your heart, nor send you vids of his gape. God please save his soul!

thanks for the share and good luck. I look forward to future updates.

~Juggz

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2016, 7:52 am 

Vearie's alright really. Probably...

My day job is a game studio, and we're looking to get this prototype funded in the new year. If so, we'll be employing a couple of artists to help us get the job done (we're a tiny team right now, and I'm the main development force). It won't be via Kickstarter, probably our private investor.

The mechanics definitely are the priority. It needs to be super fun and balanced, and look the balls. We have two fairly fleshed out competitive modes (no RTS / Base building element for those yet), and one co-op one. We fully intend to support map makers / mods as well.

The base-building / RTS mechanics will be worked out later once we've got a good backend (giggidy) system, potentially with dedicated servers etc. 'Strat' style games are planned, but it takes a long f**k time to make something like that - and everything is being done in a Server/Client architecture which means less total units.

I'll keep y'all up to date with what happens.

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2016, 8:28 am 

Looks amazing.

Anyway I can support?