BATTLEZONE COMMUNITY FORUMS

Battlezone I & II Download, Gaming & Development
It is currently November 18th, 2017, 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: November 13th, 2017, 9:17 am 
Admin

Ah nice. I'm a pool boy.

Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean.
Earn your keep.

PostPosted: November 13th, 2017, 10:14 am 

A throwback to the old days of angry posts at one another. Hope you're well

PostPosted: November 13th, 2017, 9:25 pm 
Admin

Mortarion wrote:

Thanks. I finally have decent internet. Now to just install BZ2 again.

Gotta be handy with the chains if you know what I mean.
Earn your keep.

PostPosted: November 13th, 2017, 10:17 pm 

{bac}Zero Angel wrote:
Mortarion wrote:

Woah, the great ZA will return to strats? This is very good news.

On another note, does anyone remember a Mysty_Waters? IDK if that is a current vet who just changed their nick or what. I remember {Xb}FireBlade would have a lot of fun in DMs on Titan with rocket and laser, and he remembers seeing you in DMs as well, ZA. It was during the time of infinite hovering (1.2?). That was a very long time ago though lol, back when the clans were active. I was probably 9 or 10 at the time.

PostPosted: November 13th, 2017, 10:46 pm 

Look forward to crushing you with scion dreamtime

Yeah he played vsr for a bit too bruh

PostPosted: November 14th, 2017, 5:37 am 

Very interesting analysis, ZeroAngel. Skimming through the first post I had an impression you are going in the direction of stating the game or the system is perfect only the players make problems or that the system would be perfect if not the participants who constantly come up with problems, which expresses belief that BZ2 indeed is a superior title. But ultimately you focused on how the players function in terms of BZ2 and how do they influence the evolution, as well as appeal of the game, making it ultimately a dedicated competetive multiplayer area with singleplayer modes serving only as training rooms for those yet unready to enter the zone. That is how multiplayer oriented games worlds look like, indeed, if they even offer any singleplayer training opportunites at all.

But in my view, singleplayer is the basic digital entertainment experience, the experience of story, narration, immersion, progress, achievement and finalization, framed within comprehensible set of rules. Good singleplayer is a recommendation to become further interested in the title, extended typically with skirmish mode, then multiplayer, according to the scheme you described. But weak singleplayer is a reason why to skip even giving related multiplayer a serious shot, especially when games around on the market are in overabundance and the consumeristic urge of statistic players to bite more than they can chew in terms of purchasing and playing makes delving into particular multiplayer even less likely, unless the basic experience, which is the singleplayer, is convincing.

That is why I always state multiplayer should come secondary after singleplayer, even as a future addon, which means the original product ought to be creative free, contrary to what I read someplace that it is pointless to introduce anything to singleplayer that is unframable within the categories of analogous multiplayer. Singleplayer and multiplayer are two different things, responding to different priorities. Singleplayer must be dynamic by design, which means ingame rules can be changed along the way. Multiplayer is dynamic by nature of gameplay, but on the long run it becomes static, as it is over and over the same, like repeated singleplayer level for players experienced enough.

Finally, rarely nowadays anyone sticks with one title. That was more common back in the day when games were more sparse and more attention consuming, as nearly each of them demanded effort to learn how to play. Presentday multiplayer games require effort to master, but a lot of people refuse to put effort where they expect clean entertainment, such as going watching movies. Besides, as you wrote, ZeroAngel, live confrontation in a competetive manner disturbs the earned skill, making achieving success even harder, while singleplayer allows multiple repeats and steady progress without fear of loosing prestige due to failures alongisde becoming part of some another sick hierarchy. I am myself a singleplayer guy and find multiplayer chaotically disturbing, but I understand there are handful of people who will dis any game that lacks multiplayer, expecting good competetive field. The first question is, though, how many people are truly interested in putting effort to master the game on a competetive level and then how many of these people are going to become interested in given title, minding the market conditions of singleplayer only games, singleplayer and multiplayer compromised releases, as well as multiplayer focused releases.

PostPosted: November 14th, 2017, 5:57 pm 

In ALL cases, single player provides a great experience until it is completed. The thing that keeps people playing is the competitive gameplay. How often do you hear how great the Call of Duty story is? Never. Because no one talks about that. They talk about their online experiences with other people.

PostPosted: November 14th, 2017, 6:01 pm 

Blaedicus wrote:
{bac}Zero Angel wrote:
Mortarion wrote:

Woah, the great ZA will return to strats? This is very good news.

On another note, does anyone remember a Mysty_Waters? IDK if that is a current vet who just changed their nick or what. I remember {Xb}FireBlade would have a lot of fun in DMs on Titan with rocket and laser, and he remembers seeing you in DMs as well, ZA. It was during the time of infinite hovering (1.2?). That was a very long time ago though lol, back when the clans were active. I was probably 9 or 10 at the time.

I remember that nick. Was it misty_waters though?

PostPosted: November 14th, 2017, 8:15 pm 

@Blade

If you check the Battlezone II group on facebook, you will see a list of players of the group. He is one of them. You can reach out to him there. His name is Jeffrey if I remember correctly.

PostPosted: November 14th, 2017, 10:13 pm 

Darkon is CHAOTICLY DISTURBED by strats. Possibly due to his turbo autism

Some people want to do their own thing and don't work well with others. Bz2 has a place for these ppl in mpi and ia or whatever. If these people are competitive then why not 1v1s? Its single player vs the best ai of all, humans. (Except for 80% of the player base possessing the mental ability of a beach ball) the problem is single player is easy in virtually every game once you work out a strategy that breaks the AI, it works to its limit and beyond that there is nothing. It cannot adapt once its limited functions are overcome and thats why playing vs people is infinitely better, especially 1v1. You just need to tone down the turbo autism and accept a few floggings

PostPosted: November 15th, 2017, 2:49 am 

I see your point, but you must consider another thing. BZ2 is a game. Many people actually have a very fine trait of having explorative mindset and taking the time they can spend on gaming according to their like is limited, they could also want to check out what other titles have to offer. Like with movies or books. Simply, if a game is mesmerizing, it will make me stick to it longer but I can hardly believe something would last indefinitely in the conditions we have nowadays. Something can leave a lasting impression, but that is another topic. Players are nomadic type of people in most cases, being consumers, which means, they eventually move on. Yes, it is multiplayer on a competetive level that makes the dedicated audience stay but as I said, it refers to great minority of players who anyway have their titles and franchises of choice that they excel with and would find very demotivating having to learn everything from scratch once again. That is why revolutionary sequels are oftentimes disregarded so much, especially in multiplayer focused games. In other terms, for majority of developers, unless the audience is granted, putting big effort to developing multiplayer or even developing multiplayer at all is a waste of resources, where time is also a resource. Sometimes one can take a shot and see what happens if to actually break this presumption and release something multiplayer heavy, but that is a case of calculated risk. Also like I said in another post, another thread on this forum, as a player and a consumer in that industry, why should I pay for multiplayer if I want it not? That is why multiplayer should be a separate release, an addon.