BATTLEZONE COMMUNITY FORUMS

Battlezone I & II Download, Gaming & Development
It is currently November 18th, 2017, 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

What is the reasonable price of a modern game offering honest play time of about 20 hours?
Nothing, games should be for free, there are microtransactions even in paid titles nowadays anyway 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
2€ maximum 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
5€ maximum 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
10€ maximum 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
20€ maximum 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
30€ maximum 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
60€ maximum 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
more than 60€ 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1
Author Message
PostPosted: November 14th, 2017, 5:58 am 
User avatar
Offline

Joined: February 23rd, 2017, 11:56 pm
Posts: 414
It interests me what is your people say upon prices of games. If any of the poll options responds to your opinion, check it, if you want to make any other point, write in this thread. The currency employed is Euro [€]. By "honest play time" I mean how much time you spend on the gameplay constantly making progress at a steady pace, going straight to the goal without digital tourism, mining, ideas trying or any other activity that could easily boost the play time without pushing the story forward. I talk about singleplayer games. Multiplayer games, especially the multiplayer only games, should probably count at least three times the amount of honest play time hours the singleplayer ones do have to match up. Perhaps also we need to know what caliber of a game we talk about. Hard to tell, as the question really regards how much are you willing to pay for given time of entertainment suited for yourself, instead of what is in particular the technical appeal of a release. Some people want retro stuff, some want shiny new stuff, some just want to have a lot of matches online.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: November 14th, 2017, 7:49 am 
User avatar
Offline

Joined: February 23rd, 2017, 11:56 pm
Posts: 414
I say ten Euro, meaning I pay one Euro for two hours honest playtime of singleplayer experience. I could be bargained to one and a half Euro for two hours honest playtime if extra meritoric quality is promised, which would make it fifteen Euro, even though that does feel like the game should provide something better. Ultimately twelve, thirteen Euro is that. That is my standard of expectations.

What about singleplayer and multiplayer compromised games, should they cost more, as they deliver more gameplay options? First of all, should I pay for something I order not? That is the problem with multiplayer. Developers waste time doing it, charge customers for it, then it is empty and ends up being just that, a waste of effort, a cost maker and a ballast to the final result.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: November 14th, 2017, 8:00 am 
User avatar
Offline

Joined: July 20th, 2005, 3:55 pm
Posts: 984
One time cost or monthly cost?

One time Cost Games I prefer: 25 cents an hour max in cost :)

I look for the following:

Open world
Action
Decent Story
Lots of Content

This is the reason I've always stuck to the Elder Scrolls/Fallout series type games and Action MMOs.

$30 each for Morrowind/Fallout 2 gave me 100+ hours
$40 each for Oblivion/fallout 3 gave me 100+
$60 For skyrim/Fallout NV gave me 100+ hours

I also played these games on the most difficult settings to utilize the game's mechanics to the fullest (potions, food, gear swap) etc.

Considering the time I spent on these games you could say I was paying at a rate of about 3-6 cents an hour and thoroughly enjoyed it.

In comparison you can look at games like God of War which cost 30-60 dollars and you only get 10-20 hours out of it. To me that isn't worth the release cost: You beat it once then set it aside for good.

Monthly cost games:

Considering I enjoy player driven economy and war games.

What I look for in monthly cost games are:

Sandbox (Everything player driven)
Content
Politics
Lots of Player vs Player

This is why I played EVE for about 10 years and Planetside for 6 years . Market Manipulation and lots of fighting.

For monthly cost games. Price isn't an issue if the content is good and with most sandbox games monthly cost can be paid with ingame currency.

_________________
Bz2-Numero Uno


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: November 14th, 2017, 8:59 am 
User avatar
Offline

Joined: February 23rd, 2017, 11:56 pm
Posts: 414
I talk about onetime cost, to be understood, meaning absolute time spent on the game on part of the player can eventually be a lot bigger than the estimation predicts, just like one could read a book more than once, despite already knowing what is it about. This is honest playtime versus absolute playtime, which the latter one is very variable, limited only with mental endurance of a player.

I am convinced it is unacceptable to charge player for potential absolute playtime one can get from the game. Each storydriven game has core contents, by which the game is primarily evaluated and this is what I mean. If there is extra stuff or some little tweaks that can be applied to slightly change the path, leading anyway to the same end, it counts not. If there are multiple endings but the same path leading to them, the path is counted only once but extra time for passing of each ending counted as a separate section can be included. Simple, honest.

Mind the criterium regards games that have fixed beginning and fixed end, which are possible to be measured towards how much does it take on average to beat them casual way, grasping essential contents. Puzzlegames, sandbox games, rougelikes, tools of various kinds which are regarded games for some reason, also subscription play with new contents regular upload, are all different sorts of things, where the criterium of time is very inconsistent. How much would you pay for Minesweeper, taking you have beaten the crap out of this game? The time factor discorresponds with the contents, as well as even if there were levels gradually increasing difficulty, it is very hard to tell how much time would it take the player to think the way out of each puzzle.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: November 14th, 2017, 9:30 am 
User avatar
Offline

Joined: July 20th, 2005, 3:55 pm
Posts: 984
Darkon wrote:
I talk about onetime cost, to be understood, meaning absolute time spent on the game on part of the player can eventually be a lot bigger than the estimation predicts, just like one could read a book more than once, despite already knowing what is it about. This is honest playtime versus absolute playtime, which the latter one is very variable, limited only with mental endurance of a player.

I am convinced it is unacceptable to charge player for potential absolute playtime one can get from the game. Each storydriven game has core contents, by which the game is primarily evaluated and this is what I mean. If there is extra stuff or some little tweaks that can be applied to slightly change the path, leading anyway to the same end, it counts not. If there are multiple endings but the same path leading to them, the path is counted only once but extra time for passing of each ending counted as a separate section can be included. Simple, honest.

Mind the criterium regards games that have fixed beginning and fixed end, which are possible to be measured towards how much does it take on average to beat them casual way, grasping essential contents. Puzzlegames, sandbox games, rougelikes, tools of various kinds which are regarded games for some reason, also subscription play with new contents regular upload, are all different sorts of things, where the criterium of time is very inconsistent. How much would you pay for Minesweeper, taking you have beaten the crap out of this game? The time factor discorresponds with the contents, as well as even if there were levels gradually increasing difficulty, it is very hard to tell how much time would it take the player to think the way out of each puzzle.


I see you love writing. To answer your question though: As I stated before 25 cents an hour is the max id be willing to pay for a base game. Usually this is based off of developer estimated play time, cost and the actual game type.

_________________
Bz2-Numero Uno


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: November 14th, 2017, 10:01 am 
User avatar
Offline

Joined: February 23rd, 2017, 11:56 pm
Posts: 414
Domakus wrote:
I see you love writing. To answer your question though: As I stated before 25 cents an hour is the max id be willing to pay for a base game. Usually this is based off of developer estimated play time, cost and the actual game type.

So you should probably check the second option counting from the top, that is minimum price, but still some price. I have a saying which states all things necessary in life are all approachable, only the quirks are expensive and rare. There are exceptions to this, as mostly to anything practical, but truly, if you just want a playable, nice game, there are a miriad of good games at good prices. Time also plays a role, as prices eventually drop, if you accept to wait. Nonetheless, I have an impression your price standard is based somewhat between honest playtime, absolute playtime - which is you have how much you can eat - and multiplayer time, that in the end, I guess, would fit in the second option of the poll.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: November 14th, 2017, 11:30 am 
User avatar
Offline

Joined: July 20th, 2005, 3:55 pm
Posts: 984
Considering I only play PC games (When i have the time). I will typically wait a year or 2 before playing a game. Allows time for people to fix bugs etc.

_________________
Bz2-Numero Uno


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: November 14th, 2017, 12:25 pm 
User avatar
Offline

Joined: February 23rd, 2017, 11:56 pm
Posts: 414
Domakus wrote:
Considering I only play PC games (When i have the time). I will typically wait a year or 2 before playing a game. Allows time for people to fix bugs etc.

That is another merit of patience.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


PLEASE SUPPORT US BY MAKING A DONATION TO BZ2MAPS.US!

ALL DONATIONS WILL GO DIRECTLY TOWARD HOSTING AND SUPPORT COSTS OF BZ2MAPS.US ~ THANK YOU!

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Copyright © 2011 BZ2MAPS.US